Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which event has best medal/t-shirt

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Marthastew wrote: »
    Completely forgot the Top from the Athlone 3/4 Marathon last year..... Helly Hansen, great quality and it always gets complimented when I wear it.

Actually yes that's a great top, I hardly ever wear it because it's so good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

My favourite t-shirt is from the Loch Ness marathon.

Is that a good event?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Birroc wrote: »
    Loch Ness marathon:Is that a good event?

I did it in 2007 and absolutely loved it. Narrow country roads beside a beautiful lake that had me feel like home in Kerry, very well organised, even the pre-race dinner was delicious and plenty.

I'd recommend it any day.

I did recommend it to someone who ran it (2009, I think). I told him about the excellent organisation and how flawlessly the bus transfer from Inverness to the start works.

Then, of course, something happened at the transfer and the race started an hour late. :rolleyes: He still enjoyed it, though.

I can definitely recommend the race. And the shoe laces/Nessie logo is still the best I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

I can definitely recommend the race. And the shoe laces/Nessie logo is still the best I've ever seen.

Is it very hilly? Looking for a marathon to do this year and Loch Ness is definitely on my list of potential ones, especially due to the time of year it's on as it still allows for months of training.Would like to improve on my Dublin time from last year though, so the less hills the better:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

ElectraX wrote: »
    Agree on the Tulfarris 10 top...really good quality Helly Hansen top-have used it more than any other.

could anyone post a pic of this top ta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

I second that about the cork marathon top 2010, very heavy material...best medal the last few years has consistently been the Dublin marathon one.

Yup I'd agree with that about the '10 CCM top, I was amazed to see people running with it during the race itself, hopefully this year's one will be a bit better.

I quite like the top I got at the Clonmel half-marathon last year & the the DCM long-sleeved top is handy when needed. Don't really pay any attention to the medals tbh.

ElectraX wrote: »
    Is it very hilly? Looking for a marathon to do this year and Loch Ness is definitely on my list of potential ones, especially due to the time of year it's on as it still allows for months of training.Would like to improve on my Dublin time from last year though, so the less hills the better:rolleyes:

Trying to remember ... it's been a while!

It's a lot of downhill in the first 7 or 8 miles, then mostly flat until mile 16. Then you get "The Hill" for 2 miles, and another, smaller, hill at mile 21. Time should be reasonably similar to Dublin for the same effort.

Sorry about the off-topic debate. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭pmcd22

I guess the only person to answer the OP question is the person that has taken part in all events that have given out T-shirts.

I took part in the Loughrea 10k last year, first 10k and still the only one i done as got sick, but back out again in the last 2 weeks.
    Only 20euro entry and the t-shirt is nearly worth all that.

DSCN1005.JPGDSCN1010.JPG

Its more mile, i guess the local sponsers really helped in getting that level of quality of a t-shirt. Hopefully i will do another race and get another t-shirt. I rather pay the extra 5euro and get a t-shirt.

I got a snood in a duathlon i took part in. Can be seen on my blog.
    Most thing i hate is getting nothing. :mad:

Loughrea10k#5521730827707037474

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

I have to say my favorite t-shirt so far is the connemara adventure challenge one from this year. Its really comfy and will definitely wear it again when I get round to washing it :D

Overall though in general I think the majority of the t-shirts received are pretty unwearable from my perspective. None of the races offer womens sizes and I dont care what anyone says there is a difference between the cut on a mens tshirt vs a womens one and if you want to argue it then i suggest someone runs a race and offers only womens sizes up to triple extra large and see how the lads react when they are handed a womens tshirt.

At this stage given most races ask for sizes when you are booking your place theres really no reason why a womens fit couldnt be offered.

I would rather have a buff or a water bottle or a map case or a shoe bag or something else than another tshirt that I wont wear.

The other thing I've noticed now is this trend towards non race specific tshirts. I appreciate that this is a lot cheaper and makes sense from an organising perspective but you then end up with a load of tshirts the exact same.

Anyway my least favorite are the ones with the zip all down the front.

Overall in the grand scheme of things though I think the races are becoming very expensive so I would rather have a lower entry rate with the option to purchase a tshirt than a mandatory mens one :D

Fi H wrote: »
    I would rather have a buff or a water bottle or a map case or a shoe bag or something else than another tshirt that I wont wear.

Actually, I agree with that for the simple reason that by now I really have enough t-shirts already, thank you very much. And I'm sure I'm not the only one in that boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Actually, I agree with that for the simple reason that by now I really have enough t-shirts already, thank you very much. And I'm sure I'm not the only one in that boat.

I also agree. Water bottles would be a super idea and I also agree that cheaper entry and no T-shirt would make more sense, except maybe for full marathons. I stilll wear all of those tops and I'm only too delighted to fill people in when they make the mistake of asking me how I did in the marathon!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Adventurer10

I'd sacrifice the t-shirt for a cheaper entry fee, but i'm happy with most so long as they are not white colour. Gathering a big collection of t-shirts/cycle tops by now and would much more appreciate another type of momento.

Recently got a cool rucksack at the Open Race part of European Duathlon Championship weekend in Limerick, guess that was possible by good sponsorship.

Got a nice mug at the Run a Muck race last year which proabaly does a better job at advetising the race than a t-shirt I won't wear as whoever gets to drink tea out of it gets to hear all the stories from the race :)

A fleece or a rain top would be a nice change too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Seville marathon does away with the T-shirt and instead gives a running vest, shorts and a towel. The medal is pretty nice too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I did the Dunboyne 4 mile race earlier this year and the t-shirt from it seemed quite nice. Am 99.9% sure it was a technical t-shirt as well. Unfortunately I'm too big for it at the moment, but hopefully not for too much longer :)

The Great Ireland Run t-shirt was nice to look at but wouldn't be one to wear when you're doing a lot of running, especially in the rain. I made the mistake several months ago of running in the rain in a cotton t-shirt and my nipples were like red traffic lights for the next day or two!

Advertisement