Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Déise go Deo

Options
  • 22-05-2011 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

(Couldn't resist...)

It seems boards has a lot of people who speak Irish's fourth little dialect, Gaelainn na nDéise. I know a few things about it (Thá instead of Tá, broad L sometimes sounds like broad dh, e.t.c.), but only recently have I started reading some stuff in the dialect.

So has anybody read issues of Linn Bhuí, Fir Mhóra An tSean-Phobail, or any other Déise books and stories?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Enkidu wrote: »
    (Couldn't resist...)

It seems boards has a lot of people who speak Irish's fourth little dialect, Gaelainn na nDéise. I know a few things about it (Thá instead of Tá, broad L sometimes sounds like broad dh, e.t.c.), but only recently have I started reading some stuff in the dialect.

So has anybody read issues of Linn Bhuí, Fir Mhóra An tSean-Phobail, or any other Déise books and stories?

I approve of this thread:D

There are a few little percularities about Gaelainn na nDéise, like saying 'Haw' instead of Tá, there are also some words that are only found there like 'In Hiding' - 'I gúd' (Approx spelling) Or an 'Accident' - 'kit-er-in'

There is a book called 'Seanchaint na nDéise' that goes through the Irish of An Rinn, it was reserached around 1907, has some nice little phrases in it.
    One thing I noticed in it is the spelling of Níl as nín, it was written before the spelling reform so I think it is to reflect the local pronuncation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

I approve of this thread:D

There are a few little percularities about Gaelainn na nDéise, like saying 'Haw' instead of Tá, there are also some words that are only found there like 'In Hiding' - 'I gúd' (Approx spelling) Or an 'Accident' - 'kit-er-in'

There is a book called 'Seanchaint na nDéise' that goes through the Irish of An Rinn, it was reserached around 1907, has some nice little phrases in it.
    One thing I noticed in it is the spelling of Níl as nín, it was written before the spelling reform so I think it is to reflect the local pronuncation.
    I love Seanchaint na nDéise. It really shows you how rich Gaeltacht Irish can be. I'm reading "Ar Bóthar Dom" at the moment, it's a collection of folklore, really well written. One thing I learned was the near god like devotion some people in Waterford had/have to Declan of Ardmore, they keep using phrases like "not since the coming of Declan", e.t.c. Anyway I might put up some unique Déise words including ones from the rest of the Déise dialect area. (Tipperary, Limerick)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Apparently the Déise area (especially Waterford) kept the relative form of the verb unlike the rest of Munster. Sheehan in Seanchaint na nDéise gives the example:

An fear a bhíos ag caint liom gach aon lá.

bhíos = relative form of bíonn (form following a)

Advertisement