Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World of Tanks - new player

Options
  • 21-05-2011 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭

Just downloaded World of Tank.

Any hints/tips for a new player?

Any irish servers?
    Any irish clans?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Irish clan is B-IE and you can join the channel as well :)
    Only one EU server so that is the Irish one :)

Few tips:
    Look at your reticle, if it shows red don't fire, you want green or in a pinch orange (in general anything in the back of the tank or below the turret)

Expect to die a lot, esp. in the beginning and go through the guides, it will help as it is not as forgiving as lets say WoW (but not as bad as Eve)

Be aware that for some there is a big issue with FPS dropping down to single digits, for me this is simply cleared by a quick ctrl+alt+delete

Decide what route you want to go
    Arty - not recommended but does what it says on the tin, expect to sit far back and try to rain down two shells a minute on moving targets. From what I've seen and experienced Arties tend to level slower then other routes

Tank Destroyer (TD) - Big gun for their level, limited front arc of fire, fast fire rate with good front, poor side/back armor. This leads to them being defensive in nature and tend to hang back sniping

Medium tank - Fast tank with a decent sized gun but not as heavy armor as a heavy tank obviously and good for scouting, flank attacks etc.

Heavy tank - Slow, ponderous with a medium sized gun with a slowish turning speed on turret (a medium tank can run circles faster then the turret speed at times)

They all got different routes you need to exp up for and some will cross over between each other. You also need to pick a country and stick with that (in general) because if you upgrade radio X for the country any other tank using radio X can use it as well (and that is always and only with in the same country). Be aware that upgrading your tank will take time and that a stock tank (i.e. what you buy out of the box) is no where near what it will be once it has been upgraded.

Upgrade to premium account (require 2500 gold per month which costs 10 EUR) as it will greatly help with exp and cash which helps A LOT!

Don't hesitate to move around a lot to get to know the maps, what angles work etc. This will come back and help you later when you play against arty (and don't hesitate to sit back camping behind a bush at times if you're outnumbered and let them come to you)

To click on the map click ctrl and on the appropriate map cell

In the supply there are two tick boxes to automatically repair and refill ammo, you always want at least full repair before battle

• Registered Users Posts: 45 OttoVonBis

Welcome to WOT Amen!

In general you should have a good read of the Wiki first, in particular the spotting/hiding rules.

As far as picking a country goes I believe that the Russian tech tree is the strongest all round - tend towards big guns and heavy armour.

The Germans have very accurate guns, strong frontal armour and can lack in manouverability and side armour - great snipers.

Americans are more balanced than the other two. Note that the Yanks dont have any TD's yet but they are planned. Lack of glaring weakness is their strength (so they say).

Also in terms of picking a tank...always go for a higer tier one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Welcome dude - join tyhe clan, and we'll help you out :)

Whats your game nick? I can add you

Or go here:
    http://uc.worldoftanks.eu/uc/clans/

And apply (search for Boards.ie)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Hey there amen, I'm a n00b to this too, but the lads in the Clan have been a great help cause I think this is easily one of the most non-intuitive game interfaces I've ever seen :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Kharn wrote: »
    Hey there amen, I'm a n00b to this too, but the lads in the Clan have been a great help cause I think this is easily one of the most non-intuitive game interfaces I've ever seen :D

I don't see what's complicated about it:

1: Point 128mm at enemy
    2: Press left mouse button
    3: Profit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Shtanto

I'm in a Pz4 at the moment. Where do I sign up? I found the clan - what do I do next? Name in game is the same

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I missed your in game chat man, I was afk most of the day.

Sent you an invite to the clan, you'll get it in your WoT forum profile :)

Thank you, that's me all fixed up. Now to take over europe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭abyss

After 1-2 days of playing try to read this:

http://wiki.worldoftanks.eu/Battle_Mechanics

Will be helpfull for newbies.

There are video - tutorials on youtube, watch them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

this thread is from 15 months ago, im pretty sure he knows how to play by now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Halloween was last week, you are only allowed to resurrect stuff then :D

haha, definitely you know after 15 months :)

World of Tanks won competition - and is a now best MMO ( http://www.goldenjoystick.com/best-mmo/world-of-tanks ) so we can expect more, new players.

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

New to this myself. Dont seem to be able to find those clans etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

New to this myself. Dont seem to be able to find those clans etc.

Clans are joined externally through your webpage profile.

Edit: did you mean B-IE? That was dissolved and folded into Cry Havoc.

Oh right, I was wondering what happened there - I have 8 tanks myself so it'd be good to come back at some stage. My heaviest is a tiger II. Most of the low tier matches are all T1E6 fights now, but that'll be the way of things for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Downloaded it today playing a bit and having fun, tried to play with the early Brit tanks, they're bloody massive and slow as hell, keep getting killed with them. Had more joy with the german tanks and I've upgraded pzkpf 35 and want to get a panzer four.

I'm having the most joy camping in bushes or hiding in corners waiting for people to come by, thats got me thinking would I be better off going down the tank destroyer route or when people start using artillery will I be ****ed just camping?

A lot of that will depend on the tank destroyer in question. Some, like the German ones can stop a lot with their frontal armour, e.g. 200mm on the Ferdi, 250mm on the Jagdtiger, 305mm on the T95. Others take a very different approach, such as the US turreted TDs like the hellcat with barely 25mm but very high speed. Each line has its own character and strengths.

But at all times, and in all vehicles you'll need to be wary of arty and your positioning.

I assume medium tanks offer a compromise between firepower and maneuverability/speed?

Might go down that road to get used to the game then decide to specialize down the road

You'll need to pass through medium tanks to reach the heavy branch, or you can stick with them for the later mediums. The panzer 4 isn't what it used to be since they removed the schmalturm and the 75mm L70, leaving it with the L48, but it's still a decent all rounder.

Spear wrote: »
    You'll need to pass through medium tanks to reach the heavy branch, or you can stick with them for the later mediums. The panzer 4 isn't what it used to be since they removed the schmalturm and the 75mm L70, leaving it with the L48, but it's still a decent all rounder.
    Many thanks for the help... is it worth just blitzing my way through the tech tree only picking the stuff that can let me advance and get a new tank or will I miss out?

• Advertisement

GRMA wrote: »
    Many thanks for the help... is it worth just blitzing my way through the tech tree only picking the stuff that can let me advance and get a new tank or will I miss out?

Many parts are commonly shared between tanks and branches as they're standard components. Not researching a part now, could just mean having to do it later and doing so with a lesser upgraded tank as a result. The first half of the Chinese tree is an annoying exception to this due to the historical nature of their early tanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

As Spear noted a lot of stuff is used across lines in a country tree; simply look at what tanks it can be used (esp. if it will be used in the next tank "upwards") and if yes get it now if you can stand the grind (higher experienced crew, upgraded tank etc. simply means you'll do better then in a newly unlocked tank).

Any tips on when to use which type of ammo? I've mostly been using the default shells, the HE seemed to bounce off a lot

HE should only be used against thin targets, such as hull rears or arty. Realistically, while I always carry a handful of HE, I never use them.

However sometimes a 1hp hit is useful, such as for resetting a cap attempt.

Thanks for all the help guys you've been great.

Fairly addicted at this stage, I love playing with the Marder II, its good fun.

I'm also playing with the British medium tanks and the German light ones. Have enough saved up to purchase a new tank, dunno which one to get first though. Thinking either the Hetzer, matilda or the PzKpfw 38 nA

Which offers the biggest advance over its predecessor? I've heard that the PzKpfw 38 nA is pretty much the same just slower with extra armour but you are against higher rank tanks so its a lot harder

Hetzer is tempting, whats it like compared to the Marder?

But then again the Matilda also looks good, the vickers have all been a pain in the hole, massive yolks, not great protection and slow as hell.

Still cant believe the game is free

The light tanks at tier 4 have higher match making, so you may feel fairly irrelevant in a fight with tier 6s.

The matilda is good and solid, and it's good armour will make it reasonably forgiving.

The hetzer remains popular, and will introduce you to the difference between a normal AP firing gun and the derp firing 105mm howitzers.

Hetzer with the 105mm hiding in the bushes is soooo much fun (one shot kill!); expect to die a lot once spotted though :P

Have enough saved up to purchase a new tank, dunno which one to get first though. Thinking either the Hetzer, matilda or the PzKpfw 38 nA
    Take Matilda. Strong armor, decent gun - only slightly slow.
    If you are good player (WR>50, effi>1100) you will be willingly taken to "Junior" Tank Companies. And in good(!) TC you can: "In addition to the normal bonus for winning, 50% of the XP gain/credits gain of the loser as a bonus." Worth to fight :)

New players would be better off not looking at future tanks, and learning basic skills and concepts with the cheap early tanks.

Skills like:

Angling your armour. The amount of even high tier players who can't comprehend that their arse isn't the most heavily armoured part is simply disturbing. Learn to keep your front armour towards the threat. And after that advance that skill to keep your flat plates between 15 and 20 degrees off beam from any incoming fire to maximise the line of sight armour depth, and to encourage automatic bounces from the side.

Don't play peek a boo with the enemy: if you roll out perpendicular to them, you're just showing your side and tracks, inviting easy penetrations or being tracked with your side showing.

Get to know the nature of the various tanks: there's little to be gained by spamming shots the mantlets of US tanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 breandandalton

Is there currently an Irish clan?

B-IE is no more, and though Spear mentioned that it was subsumed into "Cry Havoc", that clan doesn't seem to exist either (there is a clan "Havok" that seems to have started just last month, so I guess this could not be the one Spear referred to, and there is another clan "[HAVOC] Hardened Vicious Company" which is German speaking).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement