Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda violating free speech right?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Funny how we got to be a "Republic" from a "riot"

I'd hardly call an uprising and civil war a riot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Seanbeag1 wrote: »
    I'd hardly call an uprising and civil war a riot.

People fought for what they believed in. Your "not allowed" to do that now incase someone finds it "offensive" or "may cause trouble".

Maybe riot wasnt the right word to use but uproar seems to get things done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

People fought for what they believed in. Your "not allowed" to do that now incase someone finds it "offensive" or "may cause trouble".

You 'weren't allowed' to do it then either. Hence the trials and executions.

Maybe riot wasnt the right word to use but uproar seems to get things done.

The 80 trouble makers from Eirigí can't really be compared to the will of the Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭dienbienphu

The 80 trouble makers from Eirigí can't really be compared to the will of the Irish people.

nor can the opinions on the frontline

• Advertisement

Funny how we got to be a "Republic" from a "riot"

Just on a historical footnote we got to become a "Republic" thanks to a booze up in Canada and a misunderstanding/diplomatic incident involving a replica cannon.

We got to become a "Free State" from a "riot" would be a more accurate inaccuracy on your part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I was listening to my local radio this morning. There was a discussion about some woman in Moneygall, who has decided not to go and see Obama but stay at home instead. She was told that that's fine, as long as she allows an armed garda into her house and more gardaí to stationed in her gardens. Surely this is wrong on so many levels???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

There is something odd about that alright, I don't understand that they would take a pole when any of those people could have had a weapon concealed on their person.
    From anecdotal stuff, the OP's story, and the media reports that potentially offensive posters, banners etc where taken down in the days before the visit, it seems to me that there was an organised attempt to remove any displays of protest including the national flag and protesters themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Resend

Happyman42 wrote: »
    There is something odd about that alright, .
    there is it says it is a private video?

Resend wrote: »
    there is it says it is a private video?

:confused: That's only just been made private in the last few minutes! ...somebody got a knock on the door, methinks! :eek:

• Advertisement

:confused: That's only just been made private in the last few minutes! ...somebody got a knock on the door, methinks! :eek:
    was that the one where the garda was challenging the whining woman with flag?

There is something odd about that alright, I don't understand that they would take a pole when any of those people could have had a weapon concealed on their person.
    From anecdotal stuff, the OP's story, and the media reports that potentially offensive posters, banners etc where taken down in the days before the visit, it seems to me that there was an organised attempt to remove any displays of protest including the national flag and protesters themselves.

So they should let in the big weapons because they could have missed a small one already? Your first paragraph makes no logical sense.

Anyway, no harm in getting rid of the rubbish posted around Dublin. It seems everyone with a cause seems to think they have a right to stick up a poster. Makes the place look untidy. Protestors weren't banned but they showed their true colours and were delt with swiftly. The vast majority of people did not oppose the visit so that would explain the lack of protests. Haven't heard of any flags taken from people.

Resend wrote: »
    was that the one where the garda was challenging the whining woman with flag?

Yes

Probably more to do with the level of abuse she was getting. Way too many insulting comments for her to delete.

Probably more to do with the level of abuse she was getting. Way too many insulting comments for her to delete.

Doubt that, she seemed resilient enough to me. :)

lucky no one had this

So they should let in the big weapons because they could have missed a small one already? Your first paragraph makes no logical sense.

So trouble making protesters were only expected to use flag poles, is that your point?

Why take a flag pole and not body check? It takes two seconds to pat somebody down....why take flag poles and only a quick look inside bags. Very odd, unless you were actually doing something else, like removing symbols?

So trouble making protesters were only expected to use flag poles, is that your point?

Why take a flag pole and not body check? It takes two seconds to pat somebody down....why take flag poles and only a quick look inside bags. Very odd, unless you were actually doing something else, like removing symbols?

Because a pat-down requires reasonable cause whereas a pole can be seen without a search.

Because a pat-down requires reasonable cause whereas a pole can be seen without a search.

I didn't know that, can you link me to the law ?
    What about the bags...would you be happy with their methods there?

I didn't know that, can you link me to the law ?
    What about the bags...would you be happy with their methods there?

What methods? The legislation involved is the Firearms and offensive weapons act and the public order act. There is already a thread on the powers of search.

• Advertisement

What methods? The legislation involved is the Firearms and offensive weapons act and the public order act. There is already a thread on the powers of search.

Would you say that they searched the bags adequately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Well what exactly did she expect when you put up a video like this?

This is a classic "propaganda" style video where you twist the actual reality into another. She is trying to claim that something that didn't happen actually did happen.

Unfortunately, when you distort reality this much you can expect this kind of abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 HomeBrewPlease

FTGFOP wrote: »
    No, it wasn't that. One of the portraits was a charcoal style one of Bobby Sands. I googled thinking it might have been a stock poster, but I didn't find it. It might have been home made.

Really? That would seem to me to be a perfectly reasonable form of protest and not disrespectful use of the Proclamation. Appropriate patriotism aside I'm bothered by the freedom of speech issue. Section 7 seems very open to abuse.

It is regularly abused as is all public order legislation. Its basically a green light to shift someone, stop them protesting or arrest them when they have broken no laws (other than the said public order acts which can be interpreted any way they want). They siezed a banner in Dublin that said 'freedom for fermanagh' claiming it was an 'incitement to hatred'.

Anyway, no harm in getting rid of the rubbish posted around Dublin. It seems everyone with a cause seems to think they have a right to stick up a poster. Makes the place look untidy. Protestors weren't banned but they showed their true colours and were delt with swiftly. The vast majority of people did not oppose the visit so that would explain the lack of protests. Haven't heard of any flags taken from people.

Actually Gardai tore down posters that had been legally erected with Dublin City Council permits. They also stole them from the people putting them up. Flags and banners (not with poles) were taken off people. They were trying to stop protests from taking place

Thats exactly what they were doing Happyman

Loads of flags and banners were taken off people in both Cork and Dublin. One banner was taken from the car of a Dublin city councillor.

Capture.jpg

Loads of flags and banners were taken off people in both Cork and Dublin. One banner was taken from the car of a Dublin city councillor.

Capture.jpg

They all have poles.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Thats exactly what they were doing Happyman

Happyman will you and your kind get a life. The Garda had a job to do and they did it. No matter how many times you lot try to twist things to suit your argument you get caught out. Give it up.

The crowds waving their poled flags for Barack a few days later, confirmed my suspicions....'there was to be no overt displays of 'Irish' nationalism to be seen by Mrs Windsor.' What accommodating subjects we are.
    President%2BBarack%2BObama%2Baddress%2Ba%2Brally%2Bat%2BCollege%2BGreen%2Bin%2BDublin%2Btoday%2B10.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

There was ten times more security fot the Queen than the President. Though the Scret Service did not allow umbrellas into College Green (tri-coloured or otherwise).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement