Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christchurch

• 19-05-2011 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hey i have been offered a job in christchurch doing carpentry for the next few years. Its with an agency called canstaff. Going over in july, any one ever worked for the company or have any info about christchurch.
    any help/advice welcome...thanx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 burkulosis

im just back from a weekend in the south island. i had a night in christchurch and ill tell ya its still pretty devastated. the town centre is closed and its just the outskirts and suburbs you can pass freely through. in saying that, there will be loads of work to do there. i was talking to a local lady who reckoned it will be 10 years before the place is back to normal. she said her husband and son are architects and they reckon any skyscrapers will have to be taken down cos ppl dont want to go in them or work in them. its also still experiencing aftershocks with a 5 on Sunday night and I felt a lil one on Tuesday so it would seem like theyre happening quite regularly.

but new zealand is a beautiful breathtaking country, the people are really friendly and there are so many outdoor activities to do there. no doubt you will have an amazing time if you choose to go... hope this has been someway helpful to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 heybuddy

hey thanx for the reply..Ye i have decided to go..we were told between 3 and 5 year contract..which is grand cause there is no work in ireland...I heard that about the central business district..1000 buildings to be taken down and reconstructed...so its a nice place...that is great thanx..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Iwonder1

Hi Heybuddy

I sent you a pm. Hope you don't mind.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

heybuddy wrote: »
    Hey i have been offered a job in christchurch doing carpentry for the next few years. Its with an agency called canstaff. Going over in july, any one ever worked for the company or have any info about christchurch.
    any help/advice welcome...thanx

I've known a couple of people work for canstaff, and not too many problems with them. Man, I wish so much I had a trade like carpentry riht now, I'd be absolutely rollin in it, soooo much construction work here, you'll be sussed for work for a lon time to come.

When you comin and have you looked at somewhere to live yet, cos househuntin will be the fun part here...

hey cheers mate...the company are sorting out accomadation so it will be ready when we arrive thanx god..they seem like a god crowd to work for. we are over on the 26th july..cant wait now.. is it a nice place???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

When you comin and have you looked at somewhere to live yet, cos househuntin will be the fun part here...

The OP is a carpenter.
    Surly they could just build their own house first when they get there??? LOL :D;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rosie46

hi just wondering how you are finding working for canstaff, my family have been offered a postion also with them in christchurch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

rosie46 wrote: »
    hi just wondering how you are finding working for canstaff, my family have been offered a postion also with them in christchurch

My father has just been in contact with me in relation to this as well... he's thinking of putting an application forward!! Would be great to hear of others who have already done it so that I can pass on information :D

hi,
    ye i am over here now 3 wks working for canstaff..They are an agency and arrange work for u through other companys. We are working for a company called hannan and philip..have so much work on...Reckon we could be here for at least 5 years.. They have about 20 years work before there r back on there feet. Myself and my mate travelled over. Its all at your own expense but they sort out accomadation for you and meet you at airport. They organise for you to start work a few days after you land (which u will nee as it took 1 week to get over jet lag), they sort out ur bank account and also ur tax number...All the stuuf that you need is done and they r great help. Just realise that its freezing over here right now..The summer or warm weather starts in sept/oct...but if u arrive before this bring therminals and warm jackets..We didn as we were told its not that cold and we were caught out. If u need any more info let me know..thanx graham

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

heybuddy wrote: »
    Just realise that its freezing over here right now..The summer or warm weather starts in sept/oct...but if u arrive before this bring therminals and warm jackets..We didn as we were told its not that cold and we were caught out. If u need any more info let me know..thanx graham

I think just about everyone in NZ got caught out with the weather this week! Snow in places its unheard off!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

does anyone know what the story is with people who have partners or family? Would my mother be able to go over with my dad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

As an aside, can someone recommend a pub or the like (that's not closed due to the earthquake) to watch matches during the RWC?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

does anyone know what the story is with people who have partners or family? Would my mother be able to go over with my dad?

For that I think you need a skilled migrant visa i.e. PR
    Or he has to go over and get someone to give him a visa to work. NZ is different to OZ in that respect. Much more restricted IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭corkgirl88

would you be able to get a job working in christchurch as a carpenter if you had no papers. i know someone who has almost been offered a job, but they dont know he never got the proper carpentry papers, even though he has worked in the trade for years now

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

Report in New Zealand Sunday paper today that they're looking for Irish men!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christchurch-earthquake/5480927/Irish-rush-for-quake-jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Lil37

Hi All,
    Interesting reading, as my hubby has applied for a position in construction also with Canstaff. Sounds good what they offer to help with starting you off there. We would hope to follow over ( me and two daughters) after he is on his feet. I don't know yet what the process would be for him to bring us over. I have a business degree and lots of experience in accounts and admin. Will this be an advantage to us? How is cost of living and income? I am concerned about schools and finding a suitable place for us to live. How is rent and how plentiful is accomodation? Anything is better that languishing here on Social Welfare, but it is so far and we know nobody there, and really know nothing about NZ. Although on the upside with lots of irish heading that way, plenty of like minds and circumstances....
    All advice welcome. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sia 1

did u move over to nz

Lil37 wrote: »
    We would hope to follow over ( me and two daughters) after he is on his feet. I don't know yet what the process would be for him to bring us over. I have a business degree and lots of experience in accounts and admin. Will this be an advantage to us?

I'm not quite sure about this, to be honest, I got over here as was in a relationship with a kiwi citizen and was brought in as family. I'm not sure about getting over here as you are, but the official immigration site should have all your answers.
    How is cost of living and income?

It's similar, but different to Ireland. Honestly, it's about 4-5 years since I've lived in Ireland, so it's difficult to compare anything at this stage, but it's quite easy to live comfortably on minimum wage as a single person - with both of you working in skilled/qualified jobs, I wouldn't worry too much. New Zealand is pretty good at providing cheap/free activities too - I'm not sure what age your kids are, but there are parks, skateparks, and playgrounds aplenty, as well as the 2 main beaches, the port hills, gardens and all the art and cultural activities going on around the place.
    I am concerned about schools and finding a suitable place for us to live. How is rent and how plentiful is accomodation?

Housing is going up a bit in Christchurch at the moment - supply and demand and supply is short. Have a look at property on trademe.co.nz to see what the market's like. Areas to stay out of would be the eastern suburbs - traditionally both the poorest/dodgiest, but also the most munted post earthquake. That said, I really do love Linwood and New Brighton - the communities there are fantastic.

Schools have zoning, so kids living in zoned areas get first choice at local schools. At the moment, schools are losing heaps of funding and teachers cos of all the migration from the city, so can't imagine it'll be especially difficult to find places.

Best of luck, gtg now, about to get kicked off library computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Lil37

Hi Sia1,
    No we did not go, YET.....
    Canstaff only came to Ireland to do the interviews two weeks ago and when they were here we were unable to attend, and they only let us know less than a week before about the interview. Our circumstances have changed a LITTLE for the better, but we have still not ruled it out.
    Did you hear anything from anyone else about Canstaff? They have been helpful in sending by email lots of info about NZ, cost of living etc., but have not heard much from anyone who has actually made the move with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Lil37 wrote: »
    Hi Sia1,
    No we did not go, YET.....
    Canstaff only came to Ireland to do the interviews two weeks ago and when they were here we were unable to attend, and they only let us know less than a week before about the interview. Our circumstances have changed a LITTLE for the better, but we have still not ruled it out.
    Did you hear anything from anyone else about Canstaff? They have been helpful in sending by email lots of info about NZ, cost of living etc., but have not heard much from anyone who has actually made the move with them.

Christchurch is still shaking, a lot and quite hard. It could go on for a long while yet ( heard some kiwi geologist on radio station saying the longer they happen, the more likely they are to continue) and there could be a few big shakes left to come....as far as I know lots of locals are still getting out ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

cant seem to find anyone whos worked for them asking a few friends who stayed in NZ . But hope still to go had a interview with Canstaff on Saturday in Scotland . There is no work here and cant see it getting any better

Markcheese wrote: »
    Christchurch is still shaking,

Yes it is.

a lot and quite hard

No it's not.
    It could go on for a long while yet

They're reckoning another 2-3 decades.
    and there could be a few big shakes left to come

Almost all unsafe land and buildings have by now been well identified. Definitely rather be here than anywhere else in the shaky isles.
    ....as far as I know lots of locals are still getting out ....

And lots of locals and out of towners are returning and/or moving here.

Maybe I'm just being a bit touchy/sensitive, but particularly given the post you quoted, that really didn't come across as a very helpful post. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DG22

Hey Buddy :) i was just woundering if u still working for canstaff and how life is life in NZ... We are moving over in October to Ashburton to work for Cansttaff..

never went money wasnt enough

what ind of payrates do canstaff pay...

26 dollars a hr but its the 40 % tax

Hiya just wondering how you are getting on a year on.. Did Canstaff stick to their word, is the company ok with the renewal of your visa.. Was the pay rate ok... We are heading out in October on a 12 month contract but hopefully will renew and stay a bit longer. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 BeeBumble

DG22 - I worked for canstaff (tho not in construction) based in Ashburton for the past few months and found them helpful and nice enough to work for. I just noticed tho that you said you're moving to Ashburton... I've just moved from Ashburton after living there for the past 5 months or so ... do you know your work location yet? Just asking cos I wouldn't recommend it as somewhere to settle for the next year or so... are you moving over with friends/family?

Hey tanx for the reply :) I have loads of questions for ye if u dont mind.. is it possible to PM u.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 BeeBumble

DG22 wrote: »
    Hey tanx for the reply :) I have loads of questions for ye if u dont mind.. is it possible to PM u.

Yeah no worries

Advertisement