Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pakistan games

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The turn out for the England Test Match against Sri Lanka has been poor as well. I think the weather will definitely have put any casual fans off going, especially as the start of the day was so bad. 2000 is disappointing but probably still as good as the attendances the West Indies managed to get against Pakistan.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭wicorthered

What a super player young Stirling is!! Potentially a better talent than Morgan!! Won't be long I fear before England come knocking:mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

We're up to 228/6 now, great work from Stirling alright, good comeback after the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

49.6 Junaid Khan to White, FOUR White hits his first ball superbly to fine leg and runs off, probably in disgust that he was pushed down to No 10 in the order. And quite rightly!

After watching Andrew White bat at the CWC, I think he is lucky to be batting at 10. I would have him at number 73...

Great start from Johnston, 1 down after 2 overs, what will we do once he retires?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SD7792

Fabulous stuff from Stirling and Wilson. Don't know why White is still in the team tbh. His bowling is average at best and his batting average is 20. Considering he's been playing minnows most of his career that is pretty poor. Time to bring in some younger players I think.

Also, dare I begin to get a bit excited about the current scoreline?

Rankin injured again, gone off the field huge blow!!

Rankin injured again, gone off the field huge blow!!

Real pity

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

Rankin is back on the ground...

Good start from Cusack, without Dockrell someone else really needs to step up today

• Advertisement

One run from Rankins comeback over, good to see he's not injured.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Cremated wrote: »
    Rankin is back on the ground...

You mean on the field - the ground is the entire stadium.

Sorry, sorry, pedantic umpire rears his head again. Don't get me started on the difference between the pitch and the wicket! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

Pakistan starting to claw back the required rate now. Need a wicket.

Could you please explain difference between pitch and wicket for me TrueDub? I've heard them used interchangeably so many times, often within the same sentence that I have no idea what the difference is.

144-3 now, we really need a partnership breaker, there was a few games back in the WC where we could have done better if we hadn't let them build that one big partnership that takes the game away from us, and that looks to be happening again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Pitch, is the playing surface in the centre of the field of play, on which the batsmen stand at opposite ends and face the bowling. The bowler bowls on this surface. Sometimes, the pitch is also referred to as the wicket, which can be a little confusing for new comers.

Strictly speaking, the Wicket or wickets are the three wooden sticks at either end that the batsmen tries to defend against the bowling. When the batsmen is 'out,' or dismissed by the bowler and has to leave the field of play, this is also referred to as 'losing his wicket.'

So if a team is down 8 wickets for example, that means eight out of their ten batsmen have been already dismissed by the opposition. 'Ten wickets,' ends an innings as you must have a batsmen at each end to keep playing.

Does that clear it up at all?

So phrases such as 'sticky wicket' and the like are incorrect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

This is going to be a tense finale

Akmal has taken the game away us. Associates lack penetrating bowling, Pakistan were happy nudging the ball about and picking up singles knowing they would cut loose in the last 10 overs. Akmals knock shows another big difference, we were well set for the last 10 overs, but Wilson apart no one could get after the bowling. Should really have got 260-270.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,540 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Shoulda left Miserable Ul Haq out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

Gah. Disappointing denouement, just not enough wickets to put real pressure on. Creditable performance, particularly after Saturday, but a win would have been big with the upcoming ICC meeting. We just can't afford to be missing our top class players like NO'B and Dockrell.

• Advertisement

Just can't take wickets and when the pressure is on we leak boundaries. I suppose that's just the difference between test and associate cricket. We have a decent top 6, although saying that we struggle to pick up the pace of an innings.

Think Cusack batted too high in the order, i'd have had Wilson in at 4. Don't see the point in playing Jones no runs, only 3 overs, think he plays as some sort of insurance policy. Would have played Van der Merwe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Memnoch wrote: »
    Pitch, is the playing surface in the centre of the field of play, on which the batsmen stand at opposite ends and face the bowling. The bowler bowls on this surface. Sometimes, the pitch is also referred to as the wicket, which can be a little confusing for new comers.

Strictly speaking, the Wicket or wickets are the three wooden sticks at either end that the batsmen tries to defend against the bowling. When the batsmen is 'out,' or dismissed by the bowler and has to leave the field of play, this is also referred to as 'losing his wicket.'

Essentially, yes - the wicket is made of wood, the pitch made of grass.

People regularly call the pitch the wicket, which is an inaccurate but understandable generalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

Would have played Van der Merwe.

Van der Merwe was due to play, but he broke his elbow yesterday.

randomer wrote: »
    Van der Merwe was due to play, but he broke his elbow yesterday.

Blimey, poor Albie. That's a blow for him & for YMCA and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

At least it was a much improved showing from Saturday, a good effort considering we were missing our best player and one of our best bowlers.

What it does show though is that we really have very little depth beyond even our first choice 11/12. If you look at the scorecard we were effectively playing with 9 players with White and Jones batting at 9 & 10 and facing just 1 ball each and Jones then bowled just 3 overs, White none. At top level international cricket you just can't afford to have passengers like that.

I appreciate Joyce was trying to play a holding role with Stirling attacking (particularly after our collapse on Saturday), but 17 off 52 balls isn't really good enough for a man who's still one of the best batsmen in the County Championship.

Otherwise though plenty of positives to take out of today, if we can keep that level of performance up on a consistent basis then we will get wins against the top sides. Also Paul Stirling, what a knock young man. Great to see him allying his natural aggression with a more controlled, mature approach to bring up a century.

Advertisement