Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Garret Fitzgerald has passed away

Options
  • 19-05-2011 7:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭

According to Q102 Dr Garret Fitzgerald has passed away this morning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

Nothing on RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I know. Q102 had it as breaking news on their 7:30 bulliten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

bren2002 wrote: »
    Nothing on RTE

Therefore?

There are other news outlets in this country

Its been confirmed by michael noonan

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭rorymcgrory

Whos Garry Fitzgerald?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Just announced on radio 1 now. RIP!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭dublinhead

its on tv3 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

... And Newstalk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Rest in Peace Garret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

That's really sad
    I did think it was odd that he couldn't attend the state dinner last night

He seemed like a really intelligent man, sad to lose a man like that

My condolences to his family.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

...and RTE.

RIP. Somehow poignant that he died during QE2's visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

A good and honest man, RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

RIP Garret the Good.

Brón orm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Sorry, but who is he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Nevermind found out who he is. At least he lived till he was 85, nice oul age. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

RIP Dr Garrett. True gentleman - great mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Whos Garry Fitzgerald?
    Fago! wrote: »
    Sorry, but who is he?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garret_FitzGerald

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

RIP Mr Fitzgerald.

I used to work for eircom Broadband tech support, I talked him through setting up his broadband at home once, very nice, courteous man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

RIP. A gentleman and patriot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Is this a thread merely for condolences etc, or can his political career be discussed and reflected on?

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

There are many here too young to remember Garret FitzGerald, but he was an extraordinary man. A politician who didn't act like a politician, he was more like a kindly academic in his manner. He radiated intelligence, honesty and integrity, a striking contrast to his main rival, the infamous Charlie Haughey.

Garret was a pioneer in supporting the concept of Unionist consent in any settlement in the North. He was also a a great liberalizing force, advocating the separation of church and state when it was not popular to do so.

When I look to my own core political beliefs I know I've taken much from him. He was truly a rare and great individual. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,133 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Garret FitzGerald died this morning

I remember him very well when I was growing up in the '80s

Eventhough he and his governments could not solve the economic problems (left behind by jack Lynch and FF), I think his real legacy will be the negotiation and signing of the Anglo Irish Agreement, the real basis for the Good Friday Agreement.

During the '80s it was Garret v Haughey whne it came to politics and IMO Garret should be remember for doing far more for the country that Haughey ever did.

Opps saw another thread - Mods please close thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Is this a thread merely for condolences etc, or can his political career be discussed and reflected on?

RIP

I think we'll go with condolences on this one.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

Rest in Peace, Dr Fitzgerald. A true gentleman and patriot. He must have been disgusted at what was going on in modern day Irish politics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

Dr Fitzgerald was a true gentleman with a wonderful sense of humour. I met him when he presented with a medal at NUI Maynooth. He told me how he had won the same award himself which was a small cup at that time. He then described to me that while cycling home he ended up going over his handlebars and into a ditch and that he still had the little (now crooked) cup at home.

A lovely and decent man and a liberal ahead of his time. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭jfk75

May he rest in peace. He was a genuine, honest, decent man who's insights and forethought into our society will be sorely missed in these dark economic days. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 85,891 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RIP

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

RIP.

The mods here and I were invited to Brussels a while back as you might recall and Mr Fitzgerald was on that trip. I was privileged enough to share a few meals with the man and we talked about Ireland of the 80s when I would have been a teen/student and he was Taoiseach.

I was staggered by the mans simple humanity, humility and his considerable intellect. He covered topics from economics to history to logic with consummate ease and grace. He was vibrantly alive and took joy in everything around him. I remember vividly we we deep in conversation about the impact Margret Thatcher when the soup arrived, and he looked at me with real joy in his eyes and said "ohhh, I *love* soup!" like a schoolboy who'd gotten a jelly & icecream desert.

I remember thinking "I hope when I'm 85, I've had a life like yours and can still take joy in the simple things in life, like soup."

God rest your soul Mr Fitzgerald, you were an astonishing man.

Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

RIP Garrett!

I grew up when he was in his prime in the 1980's, a wonderful intelligent man and a great loss to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

RIP Dr. Garrett. A truly great man, a very intelligent man and, in whats very odd for a politician, a very honest man. He gave decades of great service to his country.

Like DeVore I had the honour of meeting the man and I wasn't disappointed.

I don't think there has been a good Taoiseach since he was in office, and possibly not even for a while before he was in office either and yes I include the current one.

Advertisement