Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA Fees

Options
  • 18-05-2011 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain to me why all of a sudden the fee descriptions on on the majority of MA's in the Arts department have jumped from €4885 to €5400 pretty much over night. Have been looking at these master over the last few months and I give another glance over them today and all of a sudden the fees have changed. This is such a ****ing joke. I am so angry right now. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Damit you're right!

I applied for my MA last week and I remember it definitely not being €5400!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

So annoying! If they had just said outright that they were €5400 I wouldn't be as bothered, but they fact that they provided one piece of information and then changed it without making it clear to people who had already applied or even if they had a notification on the sit or something! its a €515 euro difference, thats a pretty significant amount!

I agree :/ I mean, I'm lucky that my parents have offered to pay for my MA, but those who are tight for money and have been saving up for it, it's not very fair.

If they had planned on raising the fees, I don't see why they did not do it a few months ago, rather than at a time where half the people have already applied!

I am going to get a loan out to pay for mine and this extra €500 really isn't helping the situation. FÚCK UCC anyway! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

FÚCK UCC anyway! :mad:

Hmmm ... if that's how you feel about the place why are you doing a masters there? :confused:

• Advertisement

Hmmm ... if that's how you feel about the place why are you doing a masters there? :confused:

I am entitled to an annoyed that they hiked up the fees so much unexpectedly. I really hate your condescending tone. Really no need for it constantly.

I am entitled to an annoyed that they hiked up the fees so much unexpectedly. I really hate your condescending tone. Really no need for it constantly.

Of course you're entitled to be annoyed, and I'd be annoyed too. I just don't see why you'd study in UCC when your opinion of the place is so negative. And if thinking that your place of study should be somewhere you like and are positive about makes me "condescending", so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

No doubt Eliot Rosewater doesn't have to worry about such trifling things as course fees, after all mammy and daddy pays his way:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Elliot R, in fairness, he's just been informed that he'l have to pay an extra 500 odd euro and hes annoyed, and you wonder why he's studying there? thats a post that a normal mod would be annoyed with. that is a ridiculous thing to say. it might be the most convenient for them in terms of location, transport, course choice etc. i just.....nevermind, ridiculous comment

and he never said he has a negative attitude of UCC as a whole, just due to this understandable annoyance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

No doubt Eliot Rosewater doesn't have to worry about such trifling things as course fees, after all mammy and daddy pays his way:rolleyes:.

He flies into college every day too in a helicopter. A gold plated one. I'd know because he threw some money at me one day whilst he was flying past.

It's €500. It sucks but chalk it down. Some of the Masters that i'll be applying for at the end of the year are going to cost upwards of €10,000, just to put it in perspective. I am surprised though that they didn't inform anyone or that it wasn't publicised more.

• Advertisement

Byron85 wrote: »
    He flies into college every day too in a helicopter. A gold plated one. I'd know because he threw some money at me one day whilst he was flying past.

And funds with his pockey money from dad "no" campaigns in SU elections as well no doubt. Rosewater is UCCs very own Koch brother, although of course with the Koch bros at least they made their own money.
    It's €500. It sucks but chalk it down.

For people self-funding their masters it more then just "sucks" I'd wager, It's a kick in the balls.
    Some of the Masters that i'll be applying for at the end of the year are going to cost upwards of €10,000, just to put it in perspective. I am surprised though that they didn't inform anyone or that it wasn't publicised more.

What are you putting into perspective here? that you or your parents can afford €10000 fees so people shouldn't worry about measly €500 increases?

And funds with his pockey money from dad "no" campaigns in SU elections as well no doubt. Rosewater is UCCs very own Koch brother, although of course with the Koch bros at least they made their own money.

For people self-funding their masters it more then just "sucks" I'd wager, It's a kick in the balls.

What are you putting into perspective here? that you or your parents can afford €10000 fees so people shouldn't worry about measly €500 increases?

My parent (singular) pays for nothing for me. I can't afford €10,000 but you find the money for it somewhere anyway.

Byron, you really don't understand the significance of the price hike. I wish I was in a position to "chalk down" a €500 price rise, unfortunately I live in the real word and I will have to apply for a loan to fund my course. I can't get over the ignorance of some people on this forum. this is a significant amount of money to me and the non-chalent attitude towards fees is a clear indication of the over dependence on grants (which are predominately undeserved.) This attitude is so annoying. How about trying to fund these fees yourself, see how you fare then?!

My father retired as a teacher last Christmas, which means the family income's been about halved, and my mother is presiding over a failing business which, due to capital costs, has her about €250,000 in debt to the bank - she can't afford to pay it so repayments come out of my father's pension.

So no, invinciblePRSTV, your attempted character assassination is wrong. As usual.

Byron, you really don't understand the significance of the price hike. I wish I was in a position to "chalk down" a €500 price rise, unfortunately I live in the real word and I will have to apply for a loan to fund my course. I can't get over the ignorance of some people on this forum.

If I decide to do post-graduate studies I'll be doing them in the UK or America where fees are much higher than in Ireland. My studies will be funded almost exclusively by loans from banks. In the case of a PhD in America, I could be asking for far above €60,000 from a bank. Just because I or anyone else doesn't immediately offer sympathy when someone's fees are increased by €500 doesn't mean we don't have financial concerns of our own.

In any case, I wasn't passing judgement on that. No matter what you're planning in life having an unexpected increase in future costs is a "kick in the balls", to take invinciblePRSTV's phrase. I was responding to you saying "FÚCK UCC anyway", which made me think that you aren't happy with UCC generally, and which made me surprised that you are planning a masters there. If my comment was inappropriate, I apologise.

My father retired as a teacher last Christmas, which means the family income's been about halved, and my mother is presiding over a failing business which, due to capital costs, has her about €250,000 in debt to the bank - she can't afford to pay it so repayments come out of my father's pension.

So no, invinciblePRSTV, your attempted character assassination is wrong. As usual.

Cool story brah, maybe now you'll be eligible for a state grant and you might drop your ideological disdain for publicly subsidised tertiary education.

And pigs might fly:pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

Can anyone explain to me why all of a sudden the fee descriptions on on the majority of MA's in the Arts department have jumped from €4885 to €5400 pretty much over night. Have been looking at these master over the last few months and I give another glance over them today and all of a sudden the fees have changed. This is such a ****ing joke. I am so angry right now. :mad:

With demand for masters being at an all time high i'm guessing they increased the price knowing there would be plenty of demand regardless. Sucks though

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RadioClash

Who would the relevant person be to email and register and complaint about this? In my own circumstances, I accepted a course on the basis of the fees being at the previous rate. I've handed in my notice at my job and booked (an expensive) flight back to Ireland to start the course, so this leaves a rather bad taste in my mouth. I expect more from an institution like UCC, rather than to pull a cynical bait and switch maneuver with no explanation.

I don't think the fee in general is the issue, I think it's that they decided to raise it so late, at a time when a good amount of people will already have applied.

Although this does not affect me so much, I don't think its necessarily fair on those who can just about scrape the money together for the initial previous fee. What about those who don't realise it's gone up? When they get accepted and realise the fee is suddenly higher than expected, what are they gonna do. Nobody has got any warning of this. It's easy to say "go take out a loan", but that's not the point.

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    I don't think the fee in general is the issue, I think it's that they decided to raise it so late, at a time when a good amount of people will already have applied.

Although this does not affect me so much, I don't think its necessarily fair on those who can just about scrape the money together for the initial previous fee. What about those who don't realise it's gone up? When they get accepted and realise the fee is suddenly higher than expected, what are they gonna do. Nobody has got any warning of this. It's easy to say "go take out a loan", but that's not the point.

Precisely, I've been budgeting very carefully this year to scrape together the money for both the fees and start-up costs for moving back to Ireland, and now they shift the goalposts after I accept. I know things are going to be financially tight for me next year and this really doesn't help. 515 eurons pays for a good few hot dinners for someone without an income for a year. An explanation/ email about the change in position wouldn't go astray.

Does anyone know if the previous fee level were listed as for the 2010/2011 academic year or just as the feels from year to year generally? As far as I'm aware it wasn't. I'll be firing off a polite but firmly worded email should anyone else want to do the same. Again, I expect more from a institution like UCC than this kind of craic.

• Advertisement

RadioClash wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the previous fee level were listed as for the 2010/2011 academic year or just as the feels from year to year generally? As far as I'm aware it wasn't. I'll be firing off a polite but firmly worded email should anyone else want to do the same. Again, I expect more from a institution like UCC than this kind of craic.

I'm not certain, but I thought it was down as 2011/2012 - but as I say, I can't be sure. Unfortunately the cached page is only a few days old too. Not sure if there's another way of finding out?
    Whether or not the year was 2010/11 or 2011/12, the fees should have been updated a lot earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 An Ghaeilge cac

I wonder how many of the students whinging about these modest increases a) drive cars, and b) stay in luxurious accommodation such as Victoria Mills and the like.

Until these 'classy' establishments have difficulty in filling vaccancies, and the presence of Range Rovers and BMWs disappear from Ucc's carpark, expect no sympathy from me!

I wonder how many of the students whinging about these modest increases a) drive cars, and b) stay in luxurious accommodation such as Victoria Mills and the like.

Until these 'classy' establishments have difficulty in filling vaccancies, and the presence of Range Rovers and BMWs disappear from Ucc's carpark, expect no sympathy from me!

What the hell are you on about? Have you ever paid your way for anything in your sheltered existence? This is not a modest increase if you've been busting your ass (abroad of all places) to pay for fees and living costs for a year, it's the difference between eating decent meals and eating pot noodles for the year.

Even if I drove a time traveling Ferrari this is still a cowboy stunt by UCC, switching the fees when many have already accepted. If you earned your own money you'd understand that, but I suspect you don't.

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    I'm not certain, but I thought it was down as 2011/2012 - but as I say, I can't be sure. Unfortunately the cached page is only a few days old too. Not sure if there's another way of finding out?
    Whether or not the year was 2010/11 or 2011/12, the fees should have been updated a lot earlier.

As far as I can recall, the fees were listed without reference to what academic year they applied to. For those that accepted on the basis of the previous rate there may be a legal argument to getting the fees reduced.

BMWs and other classy cars?? Are you joking? I mean... What? I know nobody who can even afford to live in town while in college, never mind drive in in a classy car. The majority of people i know use public transport. What kind of argument was that.

I think you'll find that not everyone in UCC has mommy and daddy paying their way and that those who are 'looked after' (like our dear friend Rosewater:pac:) don't have to worry about things like increases in fees along with all the other bills. Don't tar us all with the same brush!

I think you'll find that not everyone in UCC has mommy and daddy paying their way and that those who are 'looked after' (like our dear friend Rosewater:pac:)

Don't tar us all with the same brush!

What's that about stereotypes? :p

I think you'll find that not everyone in UCC has mommy and daddy paying their way and that those who are 'looked after' (like our dear friend Rosewater:pac:) don't have to worry about things like increases in fees along with all the other bills. Don't tar us all with the same brush!

Look, if you want to try again, i'm sure Eliot will make it to dinner this time. I know he cancelled the first time around but something did genuinely come up and as a result, he had to cancel the dinner for two he had planned for both of you.

Now I know you feel bitter and somewhat cheated that you didn't get that nightcap, which i'm sure you were so sorely looking forward to, but why not give him another chance? You can have that date with him which you obviously lust for, seeing as your obsession with him knows no bounds and you hound him at every opportunity.

Why don't you just come out and say it? Just say it. For all of our sakes, say it. You love him don't you? It's the only explanation for your goading of him at every opportunity, demanding attention like a person who suffers from Munchausen by Proxy Syndrome. The only way you will achieve some semblance of release and contentment is by admitting it. So do it. Admit your undying, unequivocal love for him. Your love is what keeps you going during all of yours posts aimed at him. I believe so. I know so.

Well either that or you've got a serious case of psychotic rage. Either way, go talk to someone.........babe.

xxx

Look, if you want to try again, i'm sure Eliot will make it to dinner this time. I know he cancelled the first time around but something did genuinely come up and as a result, he had to cancel the dinner for two he had planned for both of you.

Now I know you feel bitter and somewhat cheated that you didn't get that nightcap, which i'm sure you were so sorely looking forward to, but why not give him another chance? You can have that date with him which you obviously lust for, seeing as your obsession with him knows no bounds and you hound him at every opportunity.

Why don't you just come out and say it? Just say it. For all of our sakes, say it. You love him don't you? It's the only explanation for your goading of him at every opportunity, demanding attention like a person who suffers from Munchausen by Proxy Syndrome. The only way you will achieve some semblance of release and contentment is by admitting it. So do it. Admit your undying, unequivocal love for him. Your love is what keeps you going during all of yours posts aimed at him. I believe so. I know so.

Well either that or you've got a serious case of psychotic rage. Either way, go talk to someone.........babe.

xxx

Lol talk about being epicly rattled :pac:, are you his girlfriend or something? it's all in good fun cheer up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

it's all in good fun cheer up.

No. Just no.

Advertisement