Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you pronounce the letter R?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

kraggy wrote: »
    Presenters and newsreaders on RTE pronounce the R as "Are" and not "or" because in Gaeilge, the letter R is pronounced "Are".

And RTE is Raidio Teilifis Eireann, which of course is Gaeilge so, they are correct when they pronounce it like that.

I never knew Irish had its own names for the letters of the alphabet. I always found it a bit weird actually. What are all the other letters called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Arrrrrrrr

With that fine scottish roll :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I pronounce it correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Usually say the letter 'R' properly, 'or' but my mouth might slip out 'are' the odd time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

r

What is it good for?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Isnt pronouncing it 'Oar' just a little bit Ross O'Carrol Kelly?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Fizgig Bandicoot

'or', ''ishyew'. I thought they pronounced it 'are-tee-ee' on the telly, and that pronunciation of it really annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

bnt wrote: »
    Or is for Irish folk. It doesn't happen anywhere else in the world AFAIK. It confused the heck out of me when I moved here, and it still sounds uncultured to me.

OK, its for posh IRISH folk:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

Presenters and newsreaders on RTE pronounce the R as "Are" and not "or" because in Gaeilge, the letter R is pronounced "Are".

And 'issue'?

ISH-oo is how it's pronounced in Ireland, but some gobshíte in RTÉ decided to send a memo to everyone telling them they should pronounce it ISS-yew.

Tissue as well. It's TISH-oo in Ireland. Why are RTÉ now saying TISS-yew? :rolleyes:

And the letter 'H'.

In Ireland, we say HAYCH, but now RTÉ are saying "AYCH". Why??

Basically, someone in RTÉ has sent a memo telling everyone to follow BBC's pronunciation guide and to ditch Irish pronunciations.

And that French arsehole Sarkozy. In English, it is pronounced "Sar-CO-see", but now RTÉ are trying to pronounce it in French: "Zar-co-ZEEEEE".

Basically, I hate RTÉ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

are and I also say film not fillam and safety not sayfity:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

'Or' in Ireland, 'are' in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Like a priate arrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

'pee'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Only pirates say "are".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

'are'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Arr...

...ah would ya go away our that with your fancy pronunciation!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

shouldn't it be, Are Tee Aye :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Not this thread again!!

:rolleyes:

Plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

baz2009 wrote: »
    'or' and 'ishoo'.

It pisses me off when people call Ireland 'Areland'.

I pronounce it like Areland :o can't help it though, I also say ar-en instead of Iron.

I hate the way RTE say fa-nance instead of Fi-nance :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Where's the "L" option?

Flied Lice!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

And RTE is Raidio Teilifis Eireann, which of course is Gaeilge so, they are correct when they pronounce it like that.

So Ar-Tee-Ay is correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

RTE are welcome to pronounce any words in weird ways, even saying Van Goh instead of Van Goff, just as long as they never, ever start pronouncing sixth as sikth. Hearing this on UK stations make me want to jam SSSSSSSS between their teeth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

. W

As in - Jonathon Woss.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Or
    Agonist wrote:
    RTE are welcome to pronounce any words in weird ways, even saying Van Goh instead of Van Goff, just as long as they never, ever start pronouncing sixth as sikth. Hearing this on UK stations make me want to jam SSSSSSSS between their teeth.
    God yea, or their thing of adding R's to words ending in vowels. So "drawing" becomes "drawRing". Arrgh. The TV3 school of elocution is as bad though. Many a mangled vowel and consonant in evidence.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Agonist wrote: »
    RTE are welcome to pronounce any words in weird ways, even saying Van Goh instead of Van Goff

It's actually pronounced Van Hoch; crazy Dutch!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

"OARE"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TaraFoxglove

I pronounce Ireland as 'Areland'. :o

Pronounce 'R' as 'or' though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Atori joguor.

Not this thread again!!

:rolleyes:

Plebs.
    The title is self-explanatory, what did you come in here for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Arse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

I think OR would be the most appropriate, but i Know in america its AR, which makes me feel like a pirate :(

Advertisement