Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Knife

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TwoCanDan

Hey,
    They'd be pretty popular alright. Their album Silent Shout was a critical smash in 2006 (not sure how big it was commercially). If you like like them you'll probably like Karin's other band Fever Ray...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBAzlNJonO8&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

See this live version of heartbeats. Amazing. They rarely do live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrjwqXwyzNU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Wow, thanks. If anybody knows any band nearly as good as they are, please recommend. :)
    I think "pass this on" clip is just genius. Do you know THE KNIFE is brother and sister and they are both in this video?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

I love heartbeats and the video for it aswell, I don't know what it is about the video, it's fairly plain but its just simple and cool. The first I heard of them was when Jose Gonzalez had the cover out and I thought it was pretty good but I think the original is way better even though they are completely different versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Have been listening to them a lot recently. Really, really like their stuff.

They can be pretty nuts too (and deadly at the same time). Example:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

This one is cool as well and i love this cd cover by the way.. :pac:

-and i didnt know Karin Dreijer sings this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLpkXtM-VI8&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Love The Knife. I actually got into them from by listening to Fever Ray; I think I'm listening to everything Karin Dreijer has done in reverse chronological order. :DSilent Shout amazing album.

My personal favourites (off each album)
    Lasagna (from The Knife)
    Girls Night Out (from Deep Cuts)
    We Share Our Mother's Health (from Silent Shout)

I'd also recommend checking out Honey is Cool - an indie band Karin was in before The Knife. The only downside is that their albums are impossible to find; Plug'd Records in Cork ordered one for me but said it would take anything between one month and 50 days for it to get here.

Anyway,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

And dont forget Karen has done great work with other acts..
    Royksopp - What Else Is There:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭budgemook

Resurrecting an old thread to let people know The Knife have a new album out in April and are PLAYING A FEW LIVE SHOWS IN THE SUMMER!

Closest to Ireland is London unfortunately.

Still going though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

budgemook wrote: »
    Resurrecting an old thread to let people know The Knife have a new album out in April and are PLAYING A FEW LIVE SHOWS IN THE SUMMER!

Closest to Ireland is London unfortunately.

Still going though.

New album flagged already in 2013 releases thread,altough maybe not about the live shows..interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Managed to get tickets in the presale this morning. Many people didn't and are rather pissed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Of all things Breaking Bad got me into Fever Ray, and from there, The Knife. If I had a Heart was played in one scene which had me hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭budgemook

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Managed to get tickets in the presale this morning. Many people didn't and are rather pissed off.
    Presale was really bad, an hour of being asked for a password and then no ticket. Will try tomorrow but not too optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

OP, what a great time to discover The Knife! a new album out in April. Some of us had to wait a bit longer for new stuff. I'm very proud that they're top of my Last FM charts. http://www.last.fm/user/postrocklove

EDIT: didn't realise this thread was nearly two years old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

S.M.B. wrote: »

Same. Seemed to be a pretty shít set-up. Feel bad for those who got a pre-sale code and still missed out, especially when there were reports on Twitter about tickets appearing on tout websites for £174. :mad:

Can't believe my luck that I actually got one. Even if I have to go by myself, roll on 8th May! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'm not sure if anyone I know who was interested in going got tickets in the end.

If it turns out they didn't in the end then I'll probably go as part of a The London Indie Music Meetup Group.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

I managed to buy two tickets for Berlin and two tickets for London. I think i'm going to burst with excitement at the thoughts of finally getting to see them play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭garra

Love the Knife, they have that ability to convey ideas in sound and create an aural landscape which just takes you away to another place or time. Pass This On is just a beast of a song. Heartbeats was my hook for this band, it was played on guitar by a Swedish dude on Jools Holland - I had to find the original and so my love for the Knife was forged.
    Lets email them to play Dublin!

garra wrote: »
    Love the Knife, they have that ability to convey ideas in sound and create an aural landscape which just takes you away to another place or time. Pass This On is just a beast of a song. Heartbeats was my hook for this band, it was played on guitar by a Swedish dude on Jools Holland - I had to find the original and so my love for the Knife was forged.
    Lets email them to play Dublin!

Unfortunately I think them playing a show in Dublin is highly unlikely at this stage. I think our best hope is a festival slot, and I'm not confident about that either. I'm actually listening to Deep Cuts now for the first time in ages FOOKIN MAGIC ALBUM!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

They released the tracklist for their new album 'Shaking the Habitual'.

01 - A Tooth for an Eye 6:04
    02 - Full of Fire 9:17
    03 - A Cherry on Top 8:43
    04 - Without You My Life Would Be Boring 5:14
    05 - Wrap Your Arms Around Me 4:36
    06 - Crake 0:55
    07 - Old Dreams Waiting to Be Realized 19:22
    08 - Raging Lung 9:58
    09 - Networking 6:42
    10 - Oryx 0:37
    11 - Stay Out Here 10:42
    12 - Fracking Fluid Injection 9:54
    13 - Ready to Lose 4:36

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

I might be be selling my tickets for the Berlin gig, i'm not sure yet, if i am i'll offer them here first.

OctavarIan wrote: »
    They released the tracklist for their new album 'Shaking the Habitual'.

01 - A Tooth for an Eye 6:04
    02 - Full of Fire 9:17
    03 - A Cherry on Top 8:43
    04 - Without You My Life Would Be Boring 5:14
    05 - Wrap Your Arms Around Me 4:36
    06 - Crake 0:55
    07 - Old Dreams Waiting to Be Realized 19:22
    08 - Raging Lung 9:58
    09 - Networking 6:42
    10 - Oryx 0:37
    11 - Stay Out Here 10:42
    12 - Fracking Fluid Injection 9:54
    13 - Ready to Lose 4:36

Yeah, nearly a 100 minutes long. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

A video clip for "Full of Fire" was briefly on Youtube but got pulled. Here's an audio link on ObscureSound: http://www.obscuresound.com/2013/01/the-knife-full-of-fire/

It's nine minutes long, very techno and very dark. Not exactly "easy listening" but I think it'll be a grower. If it's an indication of the overall sound of the album then I reckon I'm gonna be pretty happy with it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

First heard Silent Shout in 2010 and it kind of defines that year for me, excellent album.

Love this track too from Tomorrow, in a Year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

1210m5g wrote: »
    I might be be selling my tickets for the Berlin gig, i'm not sure yet, if i am i'll offer them here first.

No ticket selling here I'm afraid. I'd recommend you use toutless.com if you are selling them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

In all honesty, I'm very disappointed with this track! I don't think any more plays will change that. Way too abrasive, long and samey.

nocoverart wrote: »
    In all honesty, I'm very disappointed with this track! I don't think any more plays will change that. Way too abrasive, long and samey.

It's hard to say on first listen, there is an awful lot going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not really getting it but then a lot of their work took a long time to grow on me. It's not as bad as Fever Ray's "No Face" anyway, which I really didn't get.

Edit: Have given it another few listens and it's growing on me. It's like a darker more industrial version of Hot Chip.

• Advertisement

Advertisement