Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lesnar Out Carwin in to face JDS

Options
  • 12-05-2011 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Lesner has Diverticulitis again so Carwin steps in to take his place.

Hopefully he gets better soon

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

all over the web - ufc twitter etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Jesus thats a cu'nt hope Lesnar gets better soon anyway.Whats the thoughts on JDS v Carwin so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Remmy wrote: »
    Jesus thats a cu'nt hope Lesnar gets better soon anyway.Whats the thoughts on JDS v Carwin so?

Carwin to gas after throwing two punches, gets KO'd 27 seconds into the first round

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Pat "HD" Barry - Official Fan Page
    "TOTALLY OUT OF CHARACTER FOR ME- BUT MY FRIEND HAD A RELAPSE OF SOMETHING THAT ALMOST KILLED HIM AND LEFT HIS WIFE A WIDOW AND KIDS FARHERLESS! AAAAAAANYBODY GOT SOMETHING ****TY TO SAY ABOUT HIM DUCKING A FIGHT OR BEING SCARED, COME FIND ME AND I'LL HEAR YOU OUT EYE TO EYE!!! IF U GOT THE SAND! #UFCSummit"

Pat "HD" throwing out powerful stuff to any Lesnar hater. Huge fan of Pat and I think he's spot on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Agreed,like Lesnar or not, but anybody throwing any abuse his way is a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

Was having a glance through other forums earlier in relation to this and some of the abuse was just ridiculous, really are fortunate that there are people here who don't like fighters but can rationalise when to show support and compassion.

I hope Brock gets better but I would be quite scepticle whether he will fight again. It is a very serious injury anyway, I'm not sure would somebody risk a third relapse of something which could potentially have a devastating effect his family.

Roy Nelson predicted this a while back. His belly is like a magic 8-Ball.
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/5/12/2168159/brock-lesnar-diverticulitis-roy-nelson-junior-dos-santos
    If you need some tips on your future, apparently the best person to talk to is nicknamed "Big Country." Way back on January 21st, UFC heavyweight Roy Nelson was asked about Brock Lesnar and Junior dos Santos facing off in June. Here's what Nostradamus had to say:

"I think Brock Lesnar is done," Nelson said. "I think Brock doing TUF is one way to basically take a situation and make it win-win for him. I think Lesnar doing the show is a way to introduce Junior Dos Santos to the American fan base in the way the show does. TUF introduces "stars in the making" to the casual UFC fan and while JDS is the number one contender he still needs some help with the American fan base. So the conspiracy basically comes down to the fact that Shane Carwin has no one to fight in June. I think Brock Lesnar will walk off the TUF set and then Carwin will take his spot or Frank Mir will come in to "save the day" and fight JDS for title contention. The reason I believe Frank would be the guy is because Mir is coming off a win and I was already supposed to fight Shane so fans were already hyped to see it. Or Carwin could move in to face JDS and I could still face Frank but it doesn't really matter to me as to who fights who because all that really matters is the fans want to see me fight somebody. A lot of things could happen over the next six weeks but it seems a bit off that Carwin doesn't have an opponent right now and all of the top heavyweights are spoken for."

Not a lot of people took Roy seriously back then. I mean, at the best of times, Roy is a prankster and a pretty jovial guy. What he was talking about was pretty far-fetched...or so we thought. Obviously Roy didn't get the details right, but his basic point was "Brock bows out, Carwin or Mir step in to fight Junior dos Santos in June". Clearly if he had known that HE would be fighting Frank Mir, he would have refined his theory down to Carwin. And the UFC giving Carwin a debuting fighter left this possibility wide open.

Not the biggest revelation in the world, but a pretty good call nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

As a fellow sufferer of bowel disease and someone who has always been active, I feel for the guy big time.

Used to dislike him but after the Carwin fight I had alot of respect. Hope he gets better and fights again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Disappointing but hopefully Lesnar can come back strong again, some good fights at heavyweight to be made if him and others can stay fit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Thats a pity, I was looking forward to this fight. I dont think he'll be back either, I think he likes the competitive element but my impression is that its a distant second to his family in terms of priority.

Carwin is gonna get a beating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 leeds87

how do you make out that carwin is going to get a beating. If carwin has improved his cardio he could do real damage to any heavyweight. the fact that he only has 30 days or so to prepare wont help however.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think Lesnar will bow out quietly and seal the deal by returning to WWE next year for that big whatever-they-call-them when The Rock or someone is supposed to come out of retirement.

Carwin needs a gas tank and tbh he should have been able to finish Lesnar with strikes. But he certainly can punch. Still, I think JDS is going to take it and then the Velaquez machine simply eats whoever wins as a tasty snack.

I've been saying since Cain vs Nog, Cain is an animal. Almost flawless standup imho.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

leeds87 wrote: »
    how do you make out that carwin is going to get a beating. If carwin has improved his cardio he could do real damage to any heavyweight. the fact that he only has 30 days or so to prepare wont help however.

I think JDS is a far superior athlete and is strong in all areas of the game. Carwin didn't impress me against Lesnar, he gassed really bad, and at his age you dont suddenly improve your cardio a great deal over a short period. Obviously one punch perfectly timed will take down any man, but I just dont see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

leeds87 wrote: »

Carwin is old school Chuck, except without the cardio, kicks, or footwork. All he has is his wrestling and a heavy hand.. What happened when Chuck started facing elite strikers? He went 1-4... Apart from Wandy the only fight I can remember him facing an elite striker that he beat was Belfort, and that wasn't really an exciting fight..

People say Carwin has good stand up.. Sure, he knocks guys out, but this doesn't mean he has good stand up. He's facing probably the best boxer in the HW division. JDS' footwork, head movement, better technical skills, hand speed and his cardio is how I make out Carwin will get a beating.. Why do you think he won't get a beating? Just as a matter of interest..

He's been out almost a year so I expect his cardio to up big time, but with that much muscle, doesn't your body need to take in more oxygen, which makes you gas out quicker, not sure about that one though.. But half of that time he was out with a back problem so he couldn't have done much cardio then.

But then again, it's MMA, and all it takes is one punch.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 leeds87

i didnt say i expect carwin to win, all im saying is i wouldn't be putting my house on it that jds will win. Yeah i agree the age is a factor but as i said if his cardio has improved you just never know, i wouldn't bet against him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MMAIRELANDFAN

Im devastated Brock is out
    This was his chance to prove he's the no 1 in the world
    He will be back to beat all the wannabe Champs.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

159089.jpg
    Yup, made that specifically for you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ufcdaily

dos santos will walk through carwin !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

How does fighting the contender to the championship make him the number 1? Surely he would have to beat say...the current champion? You know the one who beat him rather convincingly in their last fight?
    Brock is a good fighter, with a lot of potential but he still has too many gaps in his game to be considered the best in the world. He seems like he is very willing to work on those gaps and improve his abilities, so with time and dedication he could be the best. If he'd been given more time to build up rather than getting thrust in the deep end of the pool, we'd probably see a much better rounded and dangerous Lesnar. But till he's given time to develop his fights will be a mix between him overwhelming people, and people discovering a gap in his training that they exploit thoroughly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Brock and JDS were hardly selling the fight in TUF anyway, that said I would have my preferred that to JDS vs Carwin :(

There are a few I'd rather see fight JDS, Frank Mir for example but he's got a fight with Nelson at 130.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I think Nelson is the bjj of Mir, or at least he was? Could make for a very interesting match

DeVore wrote: »
    I've been saying since Cain vs Nog, Cain is an animal. Almost flawless standup imho.

DeV.

In fairness, Kongo did drop him.

Might be in the minority here but I think JDS will beat both Carwin and Cain.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

To be fairer... when you have to go back to UFC 99 to remember a time when he was "dropped" by someone who was comprehensively hammered by him in the same fight... well, you kinda prove my point :):p

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    To be fairer... when you have to go back to UFC 99 to remember a time when he was "dropped" by someone who was comprehensively hammered by him in the same fight... well, you kinda prove my point :):p

DeV.

:pac:

I see your point about him being a winning machine, but I'm just not sure about almost flawless standup when he got dropped by a quite average fighter. Kongo is the last decent striker he has fought hence why I have to go back to UFC 99.

Just watched it again, he actually drops Cain twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭onlyasuggestion

And Kongo looked like he could have finished him if he wasn't intent on trying to take him down for whatever reason. His stand up has looked much improved since though, he'll be a hard man to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Just because someone gets dropped doesn't mean they have flawed stand-up.
    Anybody can get dropped at any time. It happens. Nobody's invincible. I think JDS will win comfortably. I'll predict TKO 2nd round. :D

Dean09 wrote: »
    Just because someone gets dropped doesn't mean they have flawed stand-up.
    Anybody can get dropped at any time. It happens. Nobody's invincible. I think JDS will win comfortably. I'll predict TKO 2nd round. :D

Cain has great stand up but against Kongo he stood in the pocket and didn't block the punches coming at him and could have lost the fight.

I just happen to think JDS will beat both Carwin and Cain.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

I don't think Cain would have an issue with JDS at all. At the same time the fight I want to see the most in MMA at the minute is JDS Vs Overeem and if he wins then it becomes probable.

Also MMAIreland you really havn't a clue. I suppose you probably have Chris Turshucker ranked No. 2 then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Xlami wrote: »
    I don't think Cain would have an issue with JDS at all. At the same time the fight I want to see the most in MMA at the minute is JDS Vs Overeem and if he wins then it becomes probable.

Also MMAIreland you really havn't a clue. I suppose you probably have Chris Turshucker ranked No. 2 then?

I didn't think of that matchup but JDS v Overeem would be very interesting alright.Both fighters with legit standup not just heavy hands.

I dont have a clue about the politics, what is stopping overeem fight in the UFC?

Advertisement