Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most consistently good tv series

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

Curb Your Enthusiam
    every episode is genius...(suicide email, suicide blackberry...classic)!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Lost, i thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finnish, loving every thing the island threw at me, and i thought the finale was brilliant, its was a story that could have been told over two decades, but all the little hints in the finale gave us the chance to fill in a few blanks, all the island wanted was to give people a chnace to live there lives in peace, unfourtunatley eden had to been torn apart before you could have peace there

The West Wing, even when it was bad it was miles ahead of everything else, right from the very start we stared to get to know the caracters, sam just after sleeping with cuddy, and the president falling off his bike, they were already few months into there first term so we had to catch up quick, 6 great season of bartlett and one great season of santos and vinick battleing for bartletts chair,

Star Trek Deep Space Nine, my favourite of the franchise, i loved it from the start with sisko being at wolf, and having to report to picard before taking command of the station, even with its slow start it was engaging, and very original for TV (and my young mind), the quiality jumped from one season to the next, when worf transferred to the station things really started to heat up, with the kingons and cardasians fightin and eventually before we knew it we had a full blown was with the dominion,

Stargate SG-1, the O'Neilll years:D, with this and DS9 airing simulataniously for 2 or 3 years i now feel sorry i couldnt have enjoyed the expieriance as much as i would have as an adult, seasons 1-8 of SG-1 were great, it was consistently good, it was an episodic series so it was expected to have the ocasional bad episode and on original viewing they were few and far between, and even now when i rewatch i find i skip very few episodes,

Friends, honestly i can watch it anytime anywhere, and still laugh at it, for me personally it was consistantly funny for 10 seasons,

i would also add, breaking bad and californiaction, though there still airing the are consistantly excellent shows,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Only one person said Seinfeld...Seriously, one of the funniest shows ever to be shown on TV and I know there may have been 2 poor episodes out of like 180

And Frasier, an absolute classic with one of the most emotional endings, when his reading that Tennyson poem gets me every time

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cyndaquil

busyliving wrote: »
    And Frasier, an absolute classic with one of the most emotional endings, when his reading that Tennyson poem gets me every time

+1.

Other contenders:

Father Ted

Fawlty Towers (well we don't have much to measure it by)

How I Met Your Mother

Flashfoward - just kidding :D

Despite being a big Lost fan it's hard for me to justify me saying it was consistingly good when I think of season 3, or 5 for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Agree with a lot of the choices in the thread so far.

Been spending the day watching the first two seasons of The Venture Brothers, and every minute of it has been fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Only one person said Seinfeld...Seriously, one of the funniest shows ever to be shown on TV and I know there may have been 2 poor episodes out of like 180

100% spot on could watch Sein over and over, and the cast loved every minute of it.
    There was a dip in form in Frasier when N and D got together but still was better than most things on TV at the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i dunno if frasier could be considered consistently good, the last 2 seasons in particular were pretty bad. It lost alot of the genius after daphne and niles got together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I still havnt seen the last series but 24 was great all throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Father Ted
    Friends
    Game On

As a big fan of 24 and Prison Break can anyone recommend a new show for me to start buying box sets of. Not Soprano's as i tried and failed to get into it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Pauleta wrote: »
    I still havnt seen the last series but 24 was great all throughout.

Thought the 2nd last series was god awful myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'm also ignoring shows that are still on the go, as they could still go sour...

The Wire
    The Sopranos
    Oz
    Freaks and Geeks (short lived, but every episode was excellent)
    Father Ted
    Black Books
    Firefly (also short lived, but a cracking tv show all the same)
    Arrested Development
    Buffy The Vampire Slayer
    Angel
    Dark Angel
    Stargate SG1
    Friends
    Seinfeld

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Forgot about Deadwood. And also Studio 54. I didn't mention the wire or sopranos earlier cos I figured there was no point as plenty others would

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭tommmy

The O.C.
    Lost
    Entourage
    Gavin & Stacey
    Scrubs
    Extras
    Only fools and Horses
    The OFFICE

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Firefly
    Black Books
    The IT Crowd
    Father Ted
    Modern Family
    Party Down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

i dunno if frasier could be considered consistently good, the last 2 seasons in particular were pretty bad. It lost alot of the genius after daphne and niles got together.

I thought the last 2 season's were great mate

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

I'm going with BSG, loved every episode.
    Another series would be Bones, just simply amazing with the quality of the props (decaying corpses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

For shows that are no longer running I would have to say

Lost
    Alias
    Buffy
    Angel
    BSG
    Arrested Development (genius show)
    Seinfeld
    The IT Crowd
    Father Ted
    Pulling

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭decskelligs

ENTOURAGE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Life on Mars, love every episode, great ending
    with Sam jumping off the building and choosing to return to the 70s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Morgans

Dont know many bigger Seinfeld fans than me. Love em, but the first two series arent nearly as good as when they hit their stride. Even the team who made the program said that. I dont mind the later Larry-less episodes but some do think the fall off. It was consistently brilliant for 5-6 series, arguably more but not throughout.

The Wire is the only TV show that I've watched where Im convinced Bubbs etc are still walking the streets of Baltimore now, just that they arent being televised. There is a slight dip in the 5th series (wasnt it shorter also) but rightly, or wrongly, I assume those who dont mention it somewhere in their posts havent seen it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Law & Order SVU is brilliant but that's down to the leads who shine, even if the story occasionally dips. Mind, I am watching it on 5 & we're a few seasons behind.

Justified is damn fine but we've only started the second season - so far, so good.

I'm told that initially slow burner Fringe just gets better and better - might invest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

omahaid wrote: »
    Life on Mars, love every episode, great ending
    with Sam jumping off the building and choosing to return to the 70s

Major +1 for me there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

gazzer wrote: »
    For shows that are no longer running I would have to say

Alias
    The IT Crowd

Whoah whoah whoah - Alias???
    The last season of the IT Crowd was abysmal and 24 was very ropey for a year or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Frasier ran off the rails once the Niles/Daphne tension ended.

mike65 wrote: »
    Frasier ran off the rails once the Niles/Daphne tension ended.

Yeah, why mess with the formula?

Like when Roseanne won the lotter. And the Trotters, come to think of it. Mind you, they were in decline for many years before.

Another example, when David & Maddie finally got it together. Ruined Moonlighting for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Or they could have even got together near the end of Season 11 which would have been better, the stories also became alot more broader.
    Agree about It Crowd, bar coundown ep there was nary a chuckle in most other eps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

The Sopranos. Every season, every episode, every scene was directed and produced to perfection. The Wire was also outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,507 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I know it is only 2 seasons so far but Justified is always excellent

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I know it is only 2 seasons so far but Justified is always excellent

Quality. But you expect that from anything related to Elmore Leonard.

• Advertisement

So far Community has gotten better and better.

Advertisement