Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare segment of North Limerick Distributor road

Options
  • 12-05-2011 7:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭

Anyone any idea of the proposed route for the Clare element of this road?
    Appears to be joining Coonagh to Annacotty or UL somewhere.
    Large chunk of land constrained at present until resolved...

Opinions/ sketches welcome...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

Anyone any idea of the proposed route for the Clare element of this road?
    Appears to be joining Coonagh to Annacotty or UL somewhere.
    Large chunk of land constrained at present until resolved...

Opinions/ sketches welcome...
    (posted in Clare forum & roads also but someone here might know also)

Route selection ongoing at present with hopes for finalized route this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

work not to start until 2050

If even, & then still be budget dependent but in the meantime the constraints area has frozen any development in the whole area.
    I'm interested in peoples opinions on which way the road would go through the Clare area...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

• Advertisement

Saw this piece alright on CCC site but there doesn't appear to be any literature available on this as regards routes as of yet.
    There was a proposed route circulating going back 7 years ago alright but all of this died down then. Seems to have picked up momentum again but no one seems to know when or where this will actuall be finalized. (construction is a whole other debate)
    Where people think it will go from & to is what I'm after at the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I'm guessing this roundabout might be used as a starting point, since it doesnt seem to be used for anything else at the moment!

http://maps.google.ie/?ie=UTF8&ll=52.67857,-8.676189&spn=0,0.027466&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=52.67857,-8.676189&panoid=MxYXAss-hMP510kRr9W6vA&cbp=12,25.96,,0,8.37

Annacotty roundabout would be the logical choice for the end I would imagine, just looking at the aerial route from google maps...2 river crossings involved though.

I'm guessing this roundabout might be used as a starting point, since it doesnt seem to be used for anything else at the moment!

http://maps.google.ie/?ie=UTF8&ll=52.67857,-8.676189&spn=0,0.027466&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=52.67857,-8.676189&panoid=MxYXAss-hMP510kRr9W6vA&cbp=12,25.96,,0,8.37

Annacotty roundabout would be the logical choice for the end I would imagine, just looking at the aerial route from google maps...2 river crossings involved though.

There'd be a crossing at tailrace, blackwater river, old Erina canal & Shannon river at least I'd say. Which direction they decide to cross each one is a lottery really I suppose...
    I wonder would they take current roads & widen if possible or is the preference generally to go the green field route...?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,737 ✭✭✭✭phog

With the current financial difficulties this country is in and with a bypass around the city already I cant see this getting the go ahead in the short term. There might be movement on the road from Clondrinagh to Moyross as part of regeneration but that will be about the end of it.

I don't doubt it but this hasn't stopped them putting a constraints area around a fair chunk of south east Clare til they make up their minds on a route. I believe funding for the planning phase has been issued from articles I'm reading online plus confirmed involvement of contract consultants who have commenced this work. (they have drafted the initial constraints area which is attainable in all of the local council offices)
    Timelines for route developments appears loose with initial thoughts end of quarter 2 but nothing or no one seems to be able to confirm this which is scandalous when the have frozen such a large area of land...
    The implications of the constraints area is there is no development allowed hence no work for engineers, architects, tradesmen etc in this area until the hold is lifted. It also stops local land owners up grading or developing their own land also as they could be hit with a CPO in the next number of months...

• Advertisement

I don't doubt it but this hasn't stopped them putting a constraints area around a fair chunk of south east Clare til they make up their minds on a route. I believe funding for the planning phase has been issued from articles I'm reading online plus confirmed involvement of contract consultants who have commenced this work. (they have drafted the initial constraints area which is attainable in all of the local council offices)
    Timelines for route developments appears loose with initial thoughts end of quarter 2 but nothing or no one seems to be able to confirm this which is scandalous when the have frozen such a large area of land...
    The implications of the constraints area is there is no development allowed hence no work for engineers, architects, tradesmen etc in this area until the hold is lifted. It also stops local land owners up grading or developing their own land also as they could be hit with a CPO in the next number of months...

In the overall scheme of things, the amount of land tied up and the amount of people with the cash for development cant be huge. It probably effects land owners who might want to build on their own land more than anyone else.

IMHO, if someone had a plan to develop something or build a dwelling house they'd find a suitable spot in the location of their choice thus the impact of the delay on the selection of the route on them or those involved on contruction work would be minimal.

phog wrote: »
    In the overall scheme of things, the amount of land tied up and the amount of people with the cash for development cant be huge. It probably effects land owners who might want to build on their own land more than anyone else.

IMHO, if someone had a plan to develop something or build a dwelling house they'd find a suitable spot in the location of their choice thus the impact of the delay on the selection of the route on them or those involved on contruction work would be minimal.

I know of 2 tradesmen that had tendered & won business in the area but the planning for the projects had to be withdrawn due to immanent refusals on the applications due to the constraints. Also I know of 3 applications affected for this cause also.
    In other words the impact is more than you'd think in that work in the area is frozen as is any private housing developments. Your logic of a suitable site etc is sound in the logical world but it appears with councils involved they're not looking at it case by case so a waiting game until all is resolved.

I dont doubt that applications are being refused while the local authorities are waiting for a final route to be decided or the road built but how many of the applicants dont go and build elsewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Good idea, heard about it, but would guess maybe it's on the shelf along with the Grot to Galway section of the motorway.

Not that easy to just up & move if from the area, have ties, or even a site inherited or purchased but I hear you.
    Either way back on topic it's peoples opinions on the actual route I'm after...

Good idea, heard about it, but would guess maybe it's on the shelf along with the Grot to Galway section of the motorway.

Great concept & I would think construction is on the shelf but planning of it seems in full swing without any publicizing of it yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

The route for the first section is already decided upon. It can be seen here

The constraints study area for the rest of the route can be seen here

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Threads from Limerick City and Clare moved and merged.

EPointer=Birdss, in future please do not start duplicate threads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Great concept & I would think construction is on the shelf but planning of it seems in full swing without any publicizing of it yet...

Well, I'm hopeful, since I work near Annacotty and this would be a great help.
    I know the tunnel's there, but those E1.80's are adding up...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,953 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Not that easy to just up & move if from the area, have ties, or even a site inherited or purchased but I hear you.
    Either way back on topic it's peoples opinions on the actual route I'm after...

FACT...
    Ok from what I've got as my property is in the way...:mad:
    From the roundabout on the Knocklisheen rd[whenever it is built] over thru Quinpool south,Castlebank,over the Tailrace, thru Parteen near the power station,and then swing towards UL.

Fact is this route is nonsensical!Part of the route could be taken out by taking the route down to Watch house Cross,up along the new widned Longpavement ,up to Mulconroys pub and then join the old Ardnacrusha railway embankment.Which is state property and has a load of ground work already done Why not use already existing infrastructure than slapping new concrete around the country??..now,next problem is where they are proposing to put the bridge is an area called the Horse shoe.It is a laying up area for migrating salmon up the Tailrace to the fish counter.
    Then the next problem is how do you run it thru Parteen,as there is a problem with housing estates being too close to the proposed route.

So unless there is a major injection of cash into this[To pay us for property and loss of income] I dont see it going anywhere,but if it does.I'm sure a rare snail or somthing can be found in the swamp that needs protecting

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    FACT...
    Ok from what I've got as my property is in the way...:mad:
    From the roundabout on the Knocklisheen rd[whenever it is built] over thru Quinpool south,Castlebank,over the Tailrace, thru Parteen near the power station,and then swing towards UL.

Fact is this route is nonsensical!Part of the route could be taken out by taking the route down to Watch house Cross,up along the new widned Longpavement ,up to Mulconroys pub and then join the old Ardnacrusha railway embankment.Which is state property and has a load of ground work already done Why not use already existing infrastructure than slapping new concrete around the country??..now,next problem is where they are proposing to put the bridge is an area called the Horse shoe.It is a laying up area for migrating salmon up the Tailrace to the fish counter.
    Then the next problem is how do you run it thru Parteen,as there is a problem with housing estates being too close to the proposed route.

So unless there is a major injection of cash into this[To pay us for property and loss of income] I dont see it going anywhere,but if it does.I'm sure a rare snail or somthing can be found in the swamp that needs protecting

Not sure what route they have selected but I think heading from the roundabout at Knocklisheen to Quinpool is the best route as it avoids the built up area of Moyross (wont require a low speed limt of 50KPH) amd more importantly it will avoid the level crossing and the delays that that would cause.

I agree Grizz. Even the Killaloe rd has been talked about widening for years. It's a 2 lane road but dangerous. If straightened out a bit would be fine. They need to build a Shannon crossing either way so why not have it towards OBriens Bridge or Killalloe. Killaloe badly needs a better bridge so why not join but concepts rather than dissect more countryside with the new road!
    It's a disgrace how long it takes to make up their minds on proposed routes. This work should be done years ago when first talked about

Not sure what route they have selected but I think heading from the roundabout at Knocklisheen to Quinpool is the best route as it avoids the built up area of Moyross (wont require a low speed limt of 50KPH) amd more importantly it will avoid the level crossing and the delays that that would cause.

Yeah great..Right thru my Feckin back yard!! all I need a route for the scobes of Moyross to be able to get out more.:mad::mad:.Still and all,I'll make a bomb once they pay me for destroying a 20 acre plantation of mature oak trees!:D:D And rebuild to specs a famine built wall of appx 2kms.Be intresting to see how they handle building thru a waterfowl refuge and SAC as well,with over three rare species nesting and breeding there and a few otters as well.Thats if the runoff from the old longpavement dump hasnt poisioned them all..Not to mind wrecking a salmon laying up pouint..But who gives??So long as the motorist isnt inconvienced by ten minutes and councils and road builders can sack in profits!!
    :mad: FUk nature and using common sense.

If you looked at the route onto the Longpavement ..All it needs is a wider bridge than that ancient bridge at Moyross going over the railway.Nor is it going anywhere near Moyross,just past it.As for the railway gate. "Automated railway gates" are mighty things:D

@EPointer=Birdss

Even the Killaloe rd has been talked about widening for years. It's a 2 lane road but dangerous. If straightened out a bit would be fine. They need to build a Shannon crossing either way so why not have it towards OBriens Bridge or Killalloe. Killaloe badly needs a better bridge so why not join but concepts rather than dissect more countryside with the new road!

Yeah thats a fact..But wont happen.Widening it would be sensible.
    Forget Killaloe for a bridge site..Oh God you couldnt have the "picturesque " town ruined now could you.???:rolleyes:
    Simple reason it will never happen is called "joined up thinking" and more money to be made in slapping new roads around the place than improving the existing infra structure.
    Anyways,since that part will be a Green field project and we are broke here.I doubt it will progress much further.
    If the UL's are inconvienced,I suggest widening a few bends on the Gillouge road to the Burlington plant and widening the road and bridge into the back of UL that was closed off.Bobs your auntie,no problem getting to UL ythen.Lease the outside parking space at Burlington as a car park,and put a shuttle bus into the UL complex.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Yeah great..Right thru my Feckin back yard!! all I need a route for the scobes of Moyross to be able to get out more.:mad::mad:.Still and all,I'll make a bomb once they pay me for destroying a 20 acre plantation of mature oak trees!:D:D And rebuild to specs a famine built wall of appx 2kms.Be intresting to see how they handle building thru a waterfowl refuge and SAC as well,with over three rare species nesting and breeding there and a few otters as well.Thats if the runoff from the old longpavement dump hasnt poisioned them all..Not to mind wrecking a salmon laying up pouint..But who gives??So long as the motorist isnt inconvienced by ten minutes and councils and road builders can sack in profits!!
    :mad: FUk nature and using common sense.

If you looked at the route onto the Longpavement ..All it needs is a wider bridge than that ancient bridge at Moyross going over the railway.Nor is it going anywhere near Moyross,just past it.As for the railway gate. "Automated railway gates" are mighty things:D

@EPointer=Birdss

Even the Killaloe rd has been talked about widening for years. It's a 2 lane road but dangerous. If straightened out a bit would be fine. They need to build a Shannon crossing either way so why not have it towards OBriens Bridge or Killalloe. Killaloe badly needs a better bridge so why not join but concepts rather than dissect more countryside with the new road!

Yeah thats a fact..But wont happen.Widening it would be sensible.
    Forget Killaloe for a bridge site..Oh God you couldnt have the "picturesque " town ruined now could you.???:rolleyes:
    Simple reason it will never happen is called "joined up thinking" and more money to be made in slapping new roads around the place than improving the existing infra structure.
    Anyways,since that part will be a Green field project and we are broke here.I doubt it will progress much further.
    If the UL's are inconvienced,I suggest widening a few bends on the Gillouge road to the Burlington plant and widening the road and bridge into the back of UL that was closed off.Bobs your auntie,no problem getting to UL ythen.Lease the outside parking space at Burlington as a car park,and put a shuttle bus into the UL complex.

I get the feeling this is a case of not in my back yard.

I've no axe to grind in this but I really can't see the logic of using the existing road from the proposed roundabout on the Knocklisheen road by Moyross and then onto the Longpavement rd, the whole idea of a bypass is to reduce holdups not widen existing roads to allow cars travel faster in the same build up areas.

Yeah it is Phog.But then I bet YOU would be the same if it was in your backyard too.Im not going to be hyprocritical about this I'm stating my and my neighbours position on it.
    WE DO NOT WANT THIS ROAD
    ANYWHERE NEAR US!!!:mad::mad:
    The logic is simple..It is already there...what is cheaper ??Widen and improve a route,or slap down anew road,and somone makes a vast profit off it as well?? That is what fuked this country up in the last decade.Build ****e and damn the consequences.
    And would you ever go away and look at a map of the route I'm suggesting and you will see there are no built up areas anywhere near it.Bar Moyross,and the estate enterance is well back from this route anyway,which is going to be developed anyway.

Who's we? I want the road.

There's a restricted speed limit from Knocklisheen road all the way to Watch House X and then out the Longpavement.

If everyone had your attitude then we'd still have a single carriageway all the way to Dublin.

And you are one.There many who dont want it!
    And for your info that entire stretch from Watchouse X to Knocklisheen,is going to be revamped anyway into a two lane road.

But Hey! I'll gladly relive you and everyone else of your tax money when you run it thru my livlyhood and busisness.Glad to see the Irish people still like being MUGGED out of their money for 10 minutes convience,when they already have a viable alternative that is owned by a semi state body and has one third of the work already done and a new road that if straightned in bits which should have been done when it was first built but wasnt.Can esaily handle the traffic.But sowhat..After all YOU are paying for it.:(

If everyone had your attitude the celtic tiger road building programme would have continued until every last bit of green was concreted over.

And you are one.There many who dont want it!

I hope you dont base all your research on the replies to a thread on an internet forum, it could be seriously flawed.

Proposed routes are now out on limerick council website. PDFs up there. Be interested in your thoughts of most likely of the routes proposed...

http://www.lcc.ie/Roads/LNDR/LimerickNorthernDistributorRoad.htm

Hope link works - PDFs on link

• Advertisement

I hope you dont base all your research on the replies to a thread on an internet forum, it could be seriously flawed.

No I actually base it on people affected by it..What do you base yours on???
    Or you actually hoping to be involved in this land rape and money sacking operation??

Advertisement