Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Attack the Block

• 12-05-2011 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭

Surprised there's no thread for this already giving the buzz that's been surrounding it. Or maybe there is? Oh well!

Bizarre mix of horror/comedy/kids film with a few ballsy decisions made along the way.

Well played Joe Cornish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

went to see this today.

its being marketed abit misleadingly.

its not as much as a comedy as the trailers make out . there ARE funny bits in it dont get me wrong but its FAR more of a straight forward SCI/FI action horror flick.

about my biggest complaint with it is the heavy use of urban slang which is impenetable in places but its mainly at the begining of the film and once it takes off it becomes a really good little action flick

its certainly not a hollywood film as the introduction to the gang is something that wouldnt get past a test audience in the states and does leave you wondering if you really like these guys at all but its VERY well acted by a group that ive never heard of before this and the characrters are developed well.

i havent a clue how much was spent on it but it looks great on the screen and the aliens themselves are a nasty bit of work who's physiology also means the FX crew can save a few bob. the thing is though it WORKS making them far more fun to see in action.

i reckon there'll be a PC set of critics that will be pissed off at this film for "glorifying"
    a buchs of thugs and drug dealers
    but TBH the films about real people in that estate and its not full of trinity heads so they should just deal with it.

all in all i like it.

and its got one of the best closing acts in terms of action/drama that ive seen in YEARS.

it certainly feesl like a SMALL film ala "dog soldiers" , but it knows its not an epic and uses that to its best advantage.

woth seeing if your a fan of the ol 80s sci/fi films as it evokes alot of the tone from them .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Regarding " heavy use of urban slang ", given I spent half my life in London, that certainly won't phase me at all ;)
    I watched it in the cinema just down the road from where it's set for the authentic South London experience.

The "slang" would be fine for an Irish audience I'd imagine. Just expect to hear "bruv" and "innit" about 1000 times each during the 90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Went to see this yesterday [also in South London] and thought it was crap. Ignoring the over use of slang, it's a very muddy story badly told. Couple of nice set pieces but alot more wasted ones.

Thought it was interesting that while it's trying to show inner city london and all the minorities
    of the main cast the 4 white characters all live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

One one hand it's directed by Joe Cornish, on the other hand the principles seem to be Londone Yuufs Innit, which I refuse to sit in a cinema listening to for 90mins.

Might pick it up later. Sorry Joe. Love you BYYYEEE!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

It's not listed for Waterford cinema, was looking forward to seeing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Seems like a different spin on the usual. I might check it out and Nick Frost is always interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Don't really get the issue with the slang - you know the score going in so be prepared. And the kids stole the show in the end so it's worth it. It's a pretty great effort for a debut feature imo, well shot, perfect pace, excellent cast...the best thing in the cinema at the moment.

8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

bonerm wrote: »
    One one hand it's directed by Joe Cornish, on the other hand the principles seem to be Londone Yuufs Innit, which I refuse to sit in a cinema listening to for 90mins.

Might pick it up later. Sorry Joe. Love you BYYYEEE!

Was really dissappointed by it - expected Joe to have a much better grasp of what's funny and what isn't. Cliche ridden and actually annoying in many parts. He should have made a film about the Queen and Boggins (lorra lorra)

WRONG

Renn wrote: »
    WRONG

my opinion is wrong?

• Advertisement

I was kidding! Just think you're being a tad harsh on him here, and I'm sure he does know what is and isn't funny in his eyes :/

I'm sure he does but I found the film really dissappointing - it was basically the plot of shaun of the dead with none of the wit and I didn't really rate the acting either. Just very surprised cos I love Adam & Joe and pretty much everything they've done together - left the cinema feeling quite dejected after this.

And I really didn't like Shaun of the Dead, ha. Not sure how you can have a go at the acting when the majority of it was done by the kids and they were kinda great in it. From what I've read even the people knocking the film have given credit to them. Funnily enough I thought Nick Frost was poor, even if he was only in it for a short amount of time. But obviously he's in the cast for a reason.

They weren't awful - just not that believable. Horses for courses I guess.

Well the situation was hardly believable either in fairness :D

Whether the story is believeable or not should have no bearing on how the actor approaches it - he/she should still live it as though it were really happening.

And they did that! Anyway, this is getting pretty decent reviews all round and deserves to take some of the money that will undoubtedly go to the abomination that is Thor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Renn wrote: »
    And they did that! Anyway, this is getting pretty decent reviews all round and deserves to take some of the money that will undoubtedly go to the abomination that is Thor.

Thor was a decent film.

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

TBH i think frost was only in this to get it made/ greenlit.

its not the comedy its been sold as in the trailers and the kids are the real stars.

kinda reminds me of hanna in that regard. thats not what its been sold as either but at least i like 80s sci/fi films so i dont feel as misled.

• Advertisement

I didn't even see a trailer for this so never really expected any comedy going in - not that it really needed it any way. Frost is there to bring in the people but the funny thing is he's the weakest guy in the film. Just looked like he called it in tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭yammycat

I would have rented this on video if the chavs got slaughtered, no doubt they won though.

Would you have rewound the tape after watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Saw this movie yesterday and just though i'd come and say it was a really excellent movie. Wasn't expecting it to be an all out comedy so I wasn't disappointed when it turned ot not to be.

But what really did surprise me was how good it was as a straight up Sci-Fi Horror movie. I thought it was acted excellently, the action scenes were exciting and the overall concept was a great twist on the whole alien-invasion plot (How often have we seen an Alien Invasion only for the chisled American good guys come and save the world on behalf of everybody?)

I'd highly recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 13th Floor Elevator

I'm a fan of Cornish but this was just rubbish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Watched this today and thought it was easily the best straight-up genre film I've seen in a while. Terrific fun. Great setpieces, mildly but endearingly subversive take on action hero protagonists, playful but reserved social commentary (loved the line about rap music / violent video games). Particularly impressed by the direction and monster design. After Super 8 jumped the shark with overblown alien design, nice to see a low budget CGI alternative - pitch black fur and glowing blue neon teeth is a brilliant aesthetic decision, and the action is built around it rather than vice versa.

Yes, it's silly (although plays it straight for much of the running time to Cornish's credit), and not without flaws (some dodgy dialogue, a few not entirely necessary subplots, the odd iffy effect), but I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kontakt

I saw the trailer for this on an American forum a while back (not a film forum.), and the majority recommended it, saying it was really good. A lot of them complained about the gang though.. saying they wouldn't survive a day in an American city with real gangs :pac:

Have yet to watch it. Might get to later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

Shark Sandwich

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Laserface

its aimed at 10yr olds in my opinion

if you watch this alone expecting a decent thing.. its a horrible atrocity of a film. avoid

but its prob good fun to watch with the nephews etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Good to hear ten year olds have such great taste.

I watched it on my own. I was pleasantly surprised and I dislike Adam & Joe. It's what Hollywood movies would be like if they were directed with affection rather than expensive cynicism.

Advertisement