Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernia Primary Teacher training.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 cooranig23

it must be soul destroying after putting all your hard work and effort into the course and then to be left unemployed.. it's retarded the way they continue to recruit huge numbers of people for Hibernia, when already there are thousands who did the course and can't get jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

cooranig23 wrote: »
    it's retarded the way they continue to recruit huge numbers of people for Hibernia, when already there are thousands who did the course and can't get jobs

They are a business at the end of the day. The more people they take in then the more money they make. I doubt if they care about you (in the general sense) all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 aod113

Studied with Hibernia and couldn't recommend them highly enough. Secured a permanent job after graduating as did most of my classmates. Obviously timing is an issue as are additional qualifications, interests and personality. Good luck with everything :-)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

How long ago was that, Aod?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 aod113

About 5 years ago- teaching jobs were more widely available then I know. Our principal tends to look on extra curricular activities- particularly sports- as a big advantage. Anything you can do to add to your CV would be highly advisable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Lego7390

uhoh10 wrote: »
    I wouldn't advise you to study with Hibernia ( I might be a little bit biased though), if you have a connection with a principal locally who is willing to give you a subbing at the end of it by all means study with them until your heart is content. If you do chose to study Hibernia you could get lucky and find yourself subbing somewhere and end up covering a maternity leave..but from my experience you won't get an interview off the bat of your application without being known to the school. I suggest you try and save some money to go back to college full time and complete the H dip, get as much experience as you can as regards the extracurricular..music, drama, sport and even the likes of rainbows and childline voluntary work can go a long way in an interview. Best of luck with what ever you chose to do!

For anyone thinking of doing Hibernia,
    advice from Hibernia students is probably what you need to hear. Hibernia course is fantastic. It is very much up to date and is very applicable to what you teach in classroom. The interview has gotten tougher in the latter yearsdue to high demand for this course and due to great reports about the course.
    Yes there are principals who wouldn't hire Hibernia graduates and yes there are principals who wouldn't hire pats! I have 3 friends who are principals and they would opt for Hibernia each time as they have alot of newer fresher ideas in approaches to their teaching. So there are people who begrudge Hibernia and there always will be begrudgers but it is a fantastic course and it involves alot of work but I definately recommend it and yes Hibernia graduates get jobs at the end!!! IoI

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Lego7390 wrote: »
    ldn't hire Hibernia graduates and yes there are principals who wouldn't hire pats! I have 3 friends who are principals and they would opt for Hibernia each time as they have alot of newer fresher ideas in approaches to their teaching.
    Is that your opinion, or the principals'? I would hate to think that people think Hibernia is fresher than the other colleges just because it is newer/online. In other words, that the other colleges are stale.

I would hate to think that people think Hibernia is fresher than the other colleges just because it is newer/online. In other words, that the other colleges are stale.[/Quote]

And I would hate that too :)
    but this is merely your interpretation.
    I have '3 friends who are principals' and 'they' would opt for Hibernia each time as they have alot of newer fresher ideas in approaches to their teaching. = their opinions.
    The information is provided to people thinking of Hibernia course, not a college bashing session but advice for people thinking of doing Hibernia HDAPE. So please don't clutter. Hibernia has been getting alot of bad criticism sorry if I am giving positive advice to people who might like to do the course.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

So please don't clutter. Hibernia has been getting alot of bad criticism sorry if I am giving positive advice to people who might like to do the course.

Dambarude was not cluttering or "college bashing". He was engaged in discussion, which he has every right to do on a discussion board. Please do not back-seat moderate. If you have a problem with someone's post, report it. Thanks

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    So please don't clutter. Hibernia has been getting alot of bad criticism sorry if I am giving positive advice to people who might like to do the course.

Dambarude was not cluttering or "college bashing". He was engaged in discussion, which he has every right to do on a discussion board. Please do not back-seat moderate. If you have a problem with someone's post, report it. Thanks

DA4K ONION
    -absolutely agree with you each one is entitled to one's opinion.
    - and to provide information.
    -sorry you got offended.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I don't mind, but D4RK ONION was right there. I wasn't bashing. I think there are more Hibernia-basher bashers than Hibernia-bashers, if you follow my drift. The other colleges are without doubt antiquated in some respects, but that is about to change quite drastically.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It's interesting to see how you feel Hibernia has "fresher" ideas, following the controversy about their views on religion.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056553324

Newer doesn't always automatically mean better.Various colleges have different appeal, no one college is better than another, just because it is newer/older.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Raspberries

I've just finished my exams with Hibernia. The college has it's flaws, like any other college. The course is really tough going, especially if you are working at the same time, have kids, or both! I would say that the job situation is extremely tough out there, and anyone considering the course should have this in mind.

I have heard stuff about the 2 year course, that it's done completely through continuous assessment, and that the assignments are much harder than we had to do to make up for not having finals.

At the end of the day, it's furthering your education, which will always stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Im interested in doing this and holding down full time employment. My concern is the Irish part of it. I have honours Irish but its 10 years since I sat the leaving and havent had a whole pile of exposure to the language since. any advice on the irish interview part of the course?

as for the lack of jobs i think thats the same in every industry and it doesnt put me off, i already have a masters degree and id back myself to pick up some work in whatever line when Im finished. obviously, ideal world scenario would be a straight up teaching job but its necessary to be realistic too

slingerz wrote: »
    Im interested in doing this and holding down full time employment. My concern is the Irish part of it. I have honours Irish but its 10 years since I sat the leaving and havent had a whole pile of exposure to the language since. any advice on the irish interview part of the course?

as for the lack of jobs i think thats the same in every industry and it doesnt put me off, i already have a masters degree and id back myself to pick up some work in whatever line when Im finished. obviously, ideal world scenario would be a straight up teaching job but its necessary to be realistic too

Slingerz,
    Alota people haven't done Irish in a long time so don't be put off and some people went back and sat their Irish leaving cert. exam again to get honour. All got through it fine. You get back into it and the Gaeltacht part focuses alot on grammar and all the tutorials are great else I had a very good tutor.
    The Irish interview getting on the course is basic enough-I'd say get the Leaving Cert. exam booklet like Less Stress More Success for Irish and read though to help you brush up on things. Keep it simple. I worked fulltime for most of the course it wasn't easy but had to work. Once you start on the course it's not hard just time consuming reading material.
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Slingerz,
    Alota people haven't done Irish in a long time so don't be put off and some people went back and sat their Irish leaving cert. exam again to get honour. All got through it fine. You get back into it and the Gaeltacht part focuses alot on grammar and all the tutorials are great else I had a very good tutor.
    The Irish interview getting on the course is basic enough-I'd say get the Leaving Cert. exam booklet like Less Stress More Success for Irish and read though to help you brush up on things. Keep it simple. I worked fulltime for most of the course it wasn't easy but had to work. Once you start on the course it's not hard just time consuming reading material.
    Best of luck!

Thanks a lot for your input, I too will need to work full-time and am well aware that it will take time to get through the required work/reading. I have previously attempted the post grad in Mary I but didnt make the cut and allowed that to put me off giving it another bash until now. I think the experience of a full time job has focused me a lot as well to make a right good go of it should I make it through.

On an aside, is it possible to record the tutorial and lessons and review them at a later date?

slingerz wrote: »
    Slingerz,
    Best of luck!

Thanks a lot for your input, I too will need to work full-time and am well aware that it will take time to get through the required work/reading. I have previously attempted the post grad in Mary I but didnt make the cut and allowed that to put me off giving it another bash until now. I think the experience of a full time job has focused me a lot as well to make a right good go of it should I make it through.

On an aside, is it possible to record the tutorial and lessons and review them at a later date?

Slingerz,
    If you can't make it home on time after work to attend a tutorial for your group you can simply join another group who has same tutorial but at a later time that evening or the next evening. Just needemail your tutor and the tutor whose tutorial you will be attending.
    All tutorials are recorded so you can listen back the week after.
    Some tutorials are painfull and so pointless depending on the tutor.
    I used to suss out decent tutors and attend their tutorial as learn more from them.

Generally You are on your own with Hibernia and I struggled with lesson plans as had no one to show or help me out. It helps if you are friends with primary teacher or some1 who did the course before.
    I found there was not enough focus on infant education how to teach them as did most of my Hibernia classmates! TP is where you learn it really luckily I was blessed with a very kind helpful class teacher.
    They're some downsides I found.
    Again I'll say it's not difficult course.
    Any other Qs I.'ll do my best to help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ruthired

Hi, I'm starting the Hibernia HDAPE in September, just wondering if anyone who has done this course would have any advice? I have this month off work so would like to use this time to get some prep done-reading materials, prep or lesson plans, or assignment research started as I willl be working full time while studying.
    Thanks for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Emmaliz

Hi, just wondered about the interview for hibernia .. I have heard in passing that it is really difficult with the irish section. Would love to know what the irish is like and generally what kind of questions are asked? Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 groovygirl5

Hibernia seems like a really intense course and had built up a good reputation from what I have heard through friends who have completed it and all of them have secured jobs. It gives people who have jobs/families etc. a way to go back to college.

• Advertisement

all of them have secured jobs. .
    Must be a record, what part of the country are you in???

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bigeyes

Emmaliz wrote: »
    Hi, just wondered about the interview for hibernia .. I have heard in passing that it is really difficult with the irish section. Would love to know what the irish is like and generally what kind of questions are asked? Thanks

Hi Emmaliz,

I was part of this years pilot programme for the new interview layout, yea it is tough. Going forward they will have two interviews completely seperate 1 in Irish and the other in English. I failed my first interview and then I was asked to go back and do a gaelcultur course which really helped me. They are not looking for rote learning, they are loooking for fluency and a certain level of grammatical accuracy. They are not trying to catch you out, you are not expected to know everything, you can ask them to repeat a question, expand or explain a words meaning.

Knowing where to put in extra letters in front of words/ h's into words/how to form a verb in the correct tense are important.

I think you can do that course even without having done an interview it might be a good idea if you are nervous.

bigeyes :) Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cuddlebunny

Hi I am trying to decide on whether to apply for the Hibernia Course for April of next year. I am just looking for feedback from people currently doing the two year course. What is the interview like? How tough is the workload? I am a single parent with one child in primary school. I have wanted to do primary teaching for a long time, and I have all the application requirements. I am confident enough at the Irish, just need to get more practice and get more confident speaking it. But I am already brushing up on the language. I am 31 years old, and only working a few hours a week at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bigeyes

Hi I am trying to decide on whether to apply for the Hibernia Course for April of next year. I am just looking for feedback from people currently doing the two year course. What is the interview like? How tough is the workload? I am a single parent with one child in primary school. I have wanted to do primary teaching for a long time, and I have all the application requirements. I am confident enough at the Irish, just need to get more practice and get more confident speaking it. But I am already brushing up on the language. I am 31 years old, and only working a few hours a week at the moment.

Hi cuddlebunny,

I'm afraid I don't start fully until October 2012, so I can't really say. There is a lot of time off required over the two years, 14 teaching practice, 4 further weeks of school experience (such as observation), 3 weeks in the gaeltacht including the weekends, every 2/3 Saturday on site learning, most evenings online/assignments. Probably tough enough from the sounds of it, but if you can do it it will definately be worth in the long run.

Good Luck.
    Bigeyes ;)

Hi Bigeyes,

Thank you, I still have a few months to decide, some serious thinking to do! Best of luck anyway with the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ulstergirl

Hi Cuddlebunny, I am starting the course in October. I have a friend who started in April and she is working full time and managing the workload ok so far, she tells me it's all about planning. Lecture notes come out on a fri so she tends to get a head start for the following week by getting stuck into them straight away. I found the interview fine, I got Irish grinds from a teacher for a month before applying and this really helped me. A piece of advice I would give you is to get some experience in the classroom because this is most definitely needed to answer the questions in the English interview. Even if you only manage a few days. I think this will make a great difference and it is another thing to put on your application form. I have wanted to do primary teaching since I left school and after I got my degree I kept putting it off but eventually I decided to take the leap and go for it and I'm so glad now that I did. It's definitely worth applying for if it's what you really want to do. I have some notes I used to prepare for the interview I'd be happy to forward them on to you if you would like.

How do you mean "experience?"On a voluntary basis I take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chrissy101

Hi!
    I have my Hibernia interview this week, and am really nervous about it! I was just wondering could any body give me sum advice on how to prepare or any sample questions? I would really appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ulstergirl

Yes I mean on a voluntary basis byhookorbycrook. Just being in the classroom makes you more aware of all the techniques used and will help you answer the interview questions a lot better well that's my opinion. I've helped out in a few different schools and find that most teachers are really glad of an extra pair of hands.

• Advertisement

Hi Ulstergirl,
    Thank you for the advice, might try and get a bit of classroom experience. Is there anyway you could forward on the notes you used, by any chance? that would be great, whenever you can, thank you.

Advertisement