Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cod MW 3. Shocking news...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'll be too busy playing battlefield 3 to care. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I'll be too busy playing battlefield 3 to care. :D

Same here lad, but like wtf?! Is that a true definition of "milking Mashine"?

Wow lost 500mil subs, so now they will put a sub on mw3? Lols...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ok, 1st, I know there a lot of people who look down on codders. I admit I enjoyed MW2 and Black Ops (only ones I played) playing with the lads and chatting about it next day. mindless run n gunning but it was fun. Now, this news has cemented my decision of definitely buying Battlefield 3 and staying well clear of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Once again, gamers' wallets are there for the taking :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,904 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

2 things will destroy this franchise. Greed and Battlefield 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I know it's ridiculous but we will still have online features!!!

Your obviously completely anti call of duty. I will wait and see whether i will buy this game as I will wait and see what these extra content and charges are!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ya but what if its a pay monthly charge to play? I love comics and DC Universe sounds like my ideal game but I just refuse to pay a subscription to play a game. Evene if its not a subscription service, it means that more they will sell maps, guns, perks, etc for a price so the more money you spend will give you more of an advantage while Activision are just laughing their assess off. Will be interesting to hear more concrete info but so far, sounds like a no-buy to me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I think people are overreacting, it sounds more like the ingame store system as used by Valve in TF2 and Portal 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

COD has gone downhill since COD4. I didnt really enjoy Black Ops so i dont think ill be buying the next one. Activisions greed seems to know no bounds and that seems to be the main problem for it. Well not including BF3 of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Spear wrote: »
    I think people are overreacting, it sounds more like the ingame store system as used by Valve in TF2 and Portal 2.

Agree 100% think op has issues with franchise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

Spear wrote: »

Pure conjecture, but I'd say the WOW model is in COD's near future.

Weren't there rumors that something like this was the reason behind the split between Activision and Infinity Ward?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I had a feeling something like this was coming, I'll be interested to see what exactly they're going to do with it. I don't buy COD games anymore because I object to their abandoning their PC fans - i.e. the people who made them what they are - as well as this ridiculous over-monetisation of what is essentially the same game year in, year out (I say the same of the EA Sports games too btw). I will play Black Ops on my friend's XBox when I'm visiting and I admit that it's a lot of fun, but ultimately, I vote with my wallet and Activision will be seeing none of my money for this franchise unless something rather drastic or interesting changes.

BF3 all the way for me this autumn - until then I have the Battlefield Play4Free to amuse me. If COD goes that route, it's a different ball game. A free basic game with micro-transactions seems to be a proven model but if Activision (or any publisher tbh) charge €50 for a "basic" game and then add in micro-transactions then it'll be hard to stay positive about the future of gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

It was the 1st line that had me laughing
    a suite of services and content plan that will unite and ignite the community

The more content you release and the further past launch it is the fewer the number people still around playing it let alone willing paying for it. QUite the opposite of unite, only people with the latest maps will be able to play with others that have them. No different then what they have now.

Looks like they learned some lessons from Guitar Hero and are trying to do what rock band did by creating a "platform" rather than releasing a new increment every year, the problem is they have already diluted C.O.D down to little more than a cash cow keeping their company afloat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Activision make EA look good.

Personally, it's not CoD that I have a problem with. I found myself really enjoying their games over the last 8 months or so. My problem is that more and more games companies seem to be loving this after-pay idea. Here's the game, but keep your wallet handy folks, because we are going to keep amost of the good stuff to release as DLC instead of selling it on the disc. Even look at Mortal Kombat. I'm a huge MK fan, have been since the original, but when I heard that they already had DLC characters all but ready to go before the game even hit the selves, it sickened me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

deathrider wrote: »
    Personally, it's not CoD that I have a problem with. I found myself really enjoying their games over the last 8 months or so. My problem is that more and more games companies seem to be loving this after-pay idea. Here's the game, but keep your wallet handy folks, because we are going to keep amost of the good stuff to release as DLC instead of selling it on the disc. Even look at Mortal Kombat. I'm a huge MK fan, have been since the original, but when I heard that they already had DLC characters all but ready to go before the game even hit the selves, it sickened me!

Many have a problem with tiny dlc downloads of a few kilobytes close to release that clearly unlocks stuff already on the disk and who can blame them, I call that mugging, except in that case people willingly hand over the cash.

WHat they do is wrong, but the only way to stop it not buy it or else they have a green light to push it.

calex71 wrote: »
    Many have a problem with tiny dlc downloads of a few kilobytes close to release that clearly unlocks stuff already on the disk and who can blame them, I call that mugging, except in that case people willingly hand over the cash.

WHat they do is wrong, but the only way to stop it not buy it or else they have a green light to push it.

Agreed completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

If I were to hazard a guess, they will make an equivalent of Bungie Pro a/cs. Rendering videos for Youtube past 30 seconds, larger and more useful fileshare feature. All of these would be possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

No idea what all that meant. I used to pay a sub for World of Warcraft. If Activision did something in a similiar vein with MW3 i might pay for it. Depends on content and the price. Although im expecting something big from MW3 for me to pick it up. A MW2/Blops clone just isnt gonna cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I figured Activision wanted to move towards a business model more similar to WOW. Perhaps something along the lines of:

€5/€10 per month for access to online multiplayer which give you access to the latest version of the game, including all maps. Also options to micro-transact aesthetic item for your avatar in the CoD store. Free services would include some social network-type feature.

Though the CEO did say the Beachhead platform is "not attempting to monetize or take any experience away that currently comes as part of the value proposition of buying the game." So that might make it difficult for them to move to a fee-paying model for access to online multiplayer -something that's been provided gratis until now.

• Advertisement

Agree 100% think op has issues with franchise

You have an issue with gamestop. Just saying...

Yup, since black ops my opinion about cod was only one - it's ****. I gave news about game it self, what will they be doing for next instalment of the game. Most likely a sub for fps game? You don't find problem with that?

I can say too: you got an issue with franchise, because you defending it with even when its cought pants down and penis slapping even more on cod fanboys.

I found this article and just linked it. If that would be a good article I would link it too. I would love next cod to be a good game, but I can't defend something that is not showing any sort of gameplay info and already tells us how it will bum **** ordinary gamer.

Stop defending something just to bite me in the neck, because I don't agree with your moaning on ps3 issue in anther thread. I did not even replied to it as I cba to fight with thick wall awesomeness.

Stay away frOm those gamestops, I heard manangers in there are furious beasts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

You have an issue with gamestop. Just saying...

Yup, since black ops my opinion about cod was only one - it's ****. I gave news about game it self, what will they be doing for next instalment of the game. Most likely a sub for fps game? You don't find problem with that?

I can say too: you got an issue with franchise, because you defending it with even when its cought pants down and penis slapping even more on cod fanboys.

I found this article and just linked it. If that would be a good article I would link it too. I would love next cod to be a good game, but I can't defend something that is not showing any sort of gameplay info and already tells us how it will bum **** ordinary gamer.

Stop defending something just to bite me in the neck, because I don't agree with your moaning on ps3 issue in anther thread. I did not even replied to it as I cba to fight with thick wall awesomeness.

Stay away frOm those gamestops, I heard manangers in there are furious beasts!

Black Ops was ****?? Are you for real or just hating for the sake of it? It was an excellent addition to the series, good story, good set pieces and constant action. I just can't understand how anybody who even remotely likes FPS titles could call Black Ops **** when it very clearly is not.

I suppose the current trend is its cool to hate on COD, which I just simply can't understand. The games themselves (throughout each title in the series) have never disapointed as far as I'm concerned. They set out to deliver an action packed experience and they always pull it off. I'm talking specifically SP here as I couldn't give a **** about the MP element. Who gives a **** if they don't reinvent the wheel with every new addition to the series - they are still rock solid FPS titles with enjoyable gameplay and action, and as a fan of the genre thats all I really want.

DarkJager wrote: »
    Black Ops was ****?? Are you for real or just hating for the sake of it? It was an excellent addition to the series, good story, good set pieces and constant action. I just can't understand how anybody who even remotely likes FPS titles could call Black Ops **** when it very clearly is not.

I suppose the current trend is its cool to hate on COD, which I just simply can't understand. The games themselves (throughout each title in the series) have never disapointed as far as I'm concerned. They set out to deliver an action packed experience and they always pull it off. I'm talking specifically SP here as I couldn't give a **** about the MP element. Who gives a **** if they don't reinvent the wheel with every new addition to the series - they are still rock solid FPS titles with enjoyable gameplay and action, and as a fan of the genre thats all I really want.

I have played alot of fps. I loved cod 4 and mw2, had lots of fond memories of it. Black ops was just a sequel with dollar sign on it. Milking Mashine. I played it, I bought it on pc and I borrowed xbox version of it. It's repetitive, nothing new, poor and boring, almost no team work. Just run and gun. Single player did not impressed me at all, it was such a standard fps! It was boring!

There is a fashion for cod fanboism and pure antycoding.

I am looking forward to any game that promises something good. I don't care what name tag it has. I love love love bc2, but if bf3 will turn out ****, I wont defend it, just because bc2 was a great game. If MW 3 will be epic game, then I will play it, and I wont even remember **** that was black ops. My problem is with fanboys, not with franchises. I said it in xbox forum: if people find black ops good for them, they find it enjoyable, then fair play to them, I am happy for them!

I got a friend at work who plays black ops. I asking to get bc2, it's a great game. He sow us play it and he loved it. He said: no lad, I wont. I just barely learned how to play cod, I finally came up from bottom of the ladder, it will be just too hard for me to switch game.

Fair play to him. He is not hardcore gamer, he just plays when he has time. Does he plays cod? Yes! Is he a fanboy? No! Do I have problem with him playing cod? IFC no, I am happy he is doing his first babysteps in gaming!

All this is more of a conflict between me and batman, I mean darknight. Even now, he does not mentioned the news about cod, but he twice mentioned that I got problem with franchise. He is just trying to bite me.

Cod was good until greed took over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

People need to start making a stand against this kind of ****... Sadly, as long as there are "Daves" out there, Activision will continue to prosper thanks to moves like this:(

deathrider wrote: »

True.

Thought I let mk slide on this one. They gave alot of content in mk, so that extra dlc is not bothering me that much. Where's sf4 is charging for everything, it has 3 versions of sf4 already. Costumes are not unlockables, but dlc... Cvm 3 was even worse.I thought it's good, but when I got mk I just realised how greedy copcam became.

What buggs me with new cod: we have zero info on game and gameplay, but we already get info that on top of the game price we better prepare to pay more for online features. I might even speculate that unlockable skins and and tags will be mini dlcs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

A little OT, but
    since nobody else has pointed it out yet:

COD releases alternate between two different studios. Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2 were both made by the same studio (Infinity Ward), World at War and Black Ops were both made by a different studio (Treyarch).

In general every loves the Infinity Ward games, but the Treyarch games seem to be a bit like marmite.

Following the pattern MW3 should have been done by Infinity Ward, but I think I remember reading something about them falling out with Activision and lawsuits being fired back and forth (I might be wrong about that though).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

stevenmu wrote: »
    A little OT, but
    since nobody else has pointed it out yet:

COD releases alternate between two different studios. Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2 were both made by the same studio (Infinity Ward), World at War and Black Ops were both made by a different studio (Treyarch).

In general every loves the Infinity Ward games, but the Treyarch games seem to be a bit like marmite.

Following the pattern MW3 should have been done by Infinity Ward, but I think I remember reading something about them falling out with Activision and lawsuits being fired back and forth (I might be wrong about that though).

The Infinity Ward of the MW2 days basically doesn't exist any more. Most of the employees have left, pretty much all the higher ups and creative leads anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Hercule

this is hardly shocking news - actiblizzard has hinted at this for years, its an effective way of maximising the profits attached to the game - it effectively means they can release an absolute shell of a game and drip-feed premium content for months.

The CoD series on PC has been on a steady decline in quality since CoD1 - they are all good games but have turned into less enjoyable experiences for me due to the effective dumbing down of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

stevenmu wrote: »

Yeah 50% of the company has walked out since mw2 release.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Yep, just checked up on the details on wikipedia

Advertisement