Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Do You Think Was The Best Tv Show Ever?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

Dallas
    Then MacGyver and the A-Team (what a combo that would be
    Red Dwarf
    Sopranos
    The Wire (my favourite overall)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭MeIsGod

The wire
    Band of brothers
    Arrested development

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Prisoner cell block H.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

The Wire
    The Sopranos
    Oz
    The Simpsons
    Breaking Bad maybe..
    Boardwalk Empire has the potential I think, love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

The West Wing - hands down one of the best tv shows ever made

Life on Mars (Ashes to Ashes - but not half as good - Keeley Hawes aggrevated me intensely)

Third Watch (no one else I know watched this - Bosco was one of the best tv characters ever written..........miss it loads)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Bosco

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Love Hate has to be up there with the greatest shows ever at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

In no particular order:-

Six Feet Under
    State of Play (the BBC series with John Simm)
    Robin of Sherwood (especially the Michael Praed years) ;)
    Life on Mars (didn't like Ashes to Ashes either)
    Frasier (apart from Daphne's awful family)
    Upstairs Downstairs (the original series, not the recent BBC effort)
    The House of Cards Trilogy (with Ian Richardson as Francis Urqhart)
    Fawlty Towers
    Blackadder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

cjmcork wrote: »
    The West Wing - hands down one of the best tv shows ever made

Life on Mars (Ashes to Ashes - but not half as good - Keeley Hawes aggrevated me intensely)

Third Watch (no one else I know watched this - Bosco was one of the best tv characters ever written..........miss it loads)

should have waited 5 weeks - you can add Breaking Bad (which I watched all over Christmas Season 1 to the latest ep), it's only flipping brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I just spotted this thread.

I could not pick one but all of the following would be amongst my favourite TV Shows no longer being made:
    Fawlty Towers
    Monty Python's Flying Circus
    The Tube
    Morse
    Star Trek (the original series)
    The Morecambe and Wise Show
    Scooby Doo
    The Good Life
    Yes Minister/Prime Minister
    Blockbusters
    Hill Street Blues
    The Odd Couple
    Columbo
    ... and I forgot:
    The Two Ronnies
    Top of The Pops (especially in the '70s and the early '80s)
    The Old Grey Whistle Test

Best Irish TV series - MTUSA

Honourable mentions, i.e they would be in the second best list:
    Mike Yarwood Show
    Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em
    Are You Being Served?
    15 to 1

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

I couldn't possibly narrow the best down past a top 5.

Flying Circus
    Babylon 5
    Knight Rider (The original, not that marketing teen crud thing)
    A - Team.
    Red Dwarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Band of Brothers for me is easily the best show i've seen on TV, it was incredible.

Not including BoB, theres so many great shows.

Im gonna go for shows that I've watched all the way through and not got burnt out on (I'm on the last season of The Wire/Shield and Sopranos.. great TV series, but i'm finding it hard to sit down and watch the last seasons)... and go with Stargate SG1/Atlantis. I know they don't deserve it, they're cheesy and silly.. but i've watched them both from start to finish over a period of 2/3 months... twice. Loved it.

If Game of Thrones can keep up its current standard, it could potentially overtake BoB for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

+1 for MTUSA

Used to love watching this on a Sunday afternoon. Had a particular fondness for the ZZ Top videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 victorpaul1

I think The Sopranos is deserving for best TV Show ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Holmes and Yoyo

Sledge Hammer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Hands down, Oz.

Nothing will ever beat it for me. I used to wait up until half 11 every Thursday night when in secondary school to watch it on TG4. I was devastated when it finished. Although I was glad that it had a definite ending and didn't just continue on like some shows and become crap.

So many great characters and actors. Chris Meloni was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ei8dqb

For me it was Boston Legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 listen_lady

Anything by Bryan Fuller. I love that his shows are always cynical and sarcastic but have a very tangible undercurrent of hope and optimism.

Oh, except for "Hannibal", that's a very different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

Dman001 wrote: »
    Has to be Lost. Never was there a more captivating series, that kept you guessing and wanting more after each episode. The constant discussions, even on Boards, after each episode and Season Finale. I think the fact that the Final Episode was simulcast during the US Showing says it all. Rarely has that ever been done, and it will probably never happen again with a TV Series!

Fringe was simulcast in January :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

I have loads of favourite ever tv shows, but what tops the lot for me is Breaking Bad, the best show I've ever seen, and it's about to enter it's final episodes next week some time. I can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,233 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Quantum Leap
    Alias Smith & Jones
    Mac Gyver
    The Rockford Files
    Father Ted
    Nash Bridges

The Wire
    30 Rock
    Forbrydelsen (the Danish The Killing)
    The Young Ones (when I was a young lad I loved this)
    The Adventures of Pete and Pete (ostensibly a kids show, but great, guest appearances by all sorts of cool people, Iggy Pop, Martin Donovan, etc)
    Arrested Development
    Twin Peaks (1st series is brilliant, the tv network interfered with the 2nd series and spoiled it somewhat)
    The Odd Couple (someone mentioned it and I was reminded of it, used to be repeated on RTE in the late 90's some time, the theme tune is great)
    There's more, that's just off the top of my head. I must confess, I've never seen a full episode of the Sopranos (!!!), I've always worked nights, so I couldn't watch it in sequence, people have always recommended it, but it's a bit daunting, there's loads of episodes to get through. I only caught up with The Wire last year for the same reason. Other potentially great tv series I have to watch are Boardwalk Empire and Treme.

I adore "Twin Peaks".

Did you know "Mulholland Drive" was originally conceived as a TP spin-off centred on Audrey Horne?

Such a shame it never materialised, Sherilyn Fenn is such an underrated actress.

But I guess without that movie we would never have discovered the incomparable Naomi Watts.

I adore "Twin Peaks".

Did you know "Mulholland Drive" was originally conceived as a TP spin-off centred on Audrey Horne?

Such a shame it never materialised, Sherilyn Fenn is such an underrated actress.

But I guess without that movie we would never have discovered the incomparable Naomi Watts.

I haven't seen Mulholland Drive since I saw it in the cinema. I remember leaving a packed theatre, and everyone's mind was bent. It's high time I watched this again.
    David Lynch has made some of my favourite ever films, I'm glad he exists.

Ohhhhh, you should watch it again!

And "Fire Walk With Me" too!

Ohhhhh, you should watch it again!

And "Fire Walk With Me" too!

Fire Walk With Me is excellent, an under rated film, in my opinion.

Oh, one of his best.

Laura's last day in school always makes me cry.

And I'm okay with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

The wire. Shield. Generation kill oz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

Best comedy: Spaced Fraiser Father Ted or Arrested Development

Best Sci Fi: X-files without doubt and The 4400 criminally under-rated. Taken was great

Best Drama: I liked Dexter early on but it is increasingly convoluted and should have ended 3 seasons ago. The first season and a half of Prison Break was great too. House was good for 3-4 seasons. The wire seems promising from what I have watched. Generation Kill and Band of Brothers are also classics

Best Kids show: At the time I would have chosen Kenan and Kel but looking back Hey Arnold and the Wild Thornberrys were perhaps the best.

Advertisement