Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people need to believe in CTS....not a criticism just curious.

Options
  • 10-05-2011 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭

I ask this after reading and posting in threads about Madeleine McCann's disappearence and the death of Osama Bin Laden.

It is obvious that there are some people who will point blank refuse to accept anything offical sources tell them and I'm wondering why?

Why is so hard to believe Bin Laden was killed by American Special Forces, that Madeleine was abducted etc?

Why does everything have to be shrouded in conspiracy and contraversy?

Please understand I am not critizing anyone,I enjoy a good CT myself but genuinely wonder why some people will insist believing even the most outlandish ones over the offical line.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056054930

That all CTs are bogus and rely on the slimmest of evidence is in itself a theory. Oh, also they couldn't possibly be happening over here!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Kingpin187

Sorry, but I think it is very healthy to want to question things, and not be so gullible to accept everything that is spoon fed by the media/governments as gospel.

That said, I dont buy into some of the more extreme "conspiracy theories", but I do have a look at both sides and make my own mind up.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

I ask this after reading and posting in threads about Madeleine McCann's disappearence and the death of Osama Bin Laden.

It is obvious that there are some people who will point blank refuse to accept anything offical sources tell them and I'm wondering why?

Why is so hard to believe Bin Laden was killed by American Special Forces, that Madeleine was abducted etc?

Please understand I am not critizing anyone,I enjoy a good CT myself but genuinely wonder why some people will insist believing even the most outlandish ones over the offical line.

Why do you believe in gravity?

Actually now that you mention it why exactly do you believe Osama was just killed by American Special Forces?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

The threat from Saddam Hussein and weapons of mass destruction - chemical, biological, potentially nuclear weapons capability - that threat is real.
    Tony Blair 2002

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt."
    John Philpot Curran in a speech upon the Right of Election (1790),

conspiracy theory is just that, a theory, Those who expond them most back them with evidence and rational thinking or they fail.

The problem is not questioning powers that be or preceived wisdom
    the problem is that there are too many people engaged in fruitless
    thinking on stupid subjects such as "is Elvis dead" and such instead of looking at real scandal lies and conspiracys which exist.
    Just look at this forum most of the treads are just white noise and ****e
    helping to cover up the real conspiracies such as this one I highlighted

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71664996

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Everyone who called the link between autism and mercury a conspiracy theory were proven wrong when Tony Blair stood up in the house of parliament and banned mercury from the vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

Everyone who called the link between autism and mercury a conspiracy theory were proven wrong when Tony Blair stood up in the house of parliament and banned mercury from the vaccine.

By doing this, all he proved was that fraudulent results leads to public hysteria which no amount of good research can counteract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Talk E

It's not a need, it's just... if you believe something. A sceptic doesnt "need" to disbelieve, do they ?. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Rhamiel

The brain naturally wishes to form its own conclusions, also when provided with two completely unrelated events the brain is wired to connect the two in a way that makes sense and is familiar to the person. Its how creativity and memory works and indeed the thinking process. People can get a bit carried away with this and often link a number of completely unrelated events together and present it as a conspiracy theory.
    I believe they are in general more of a projection of the conspiracy theorists inner creative thought process in action than any real world events.

There are two main psychological/scientific terms to explain why people can get hooked on a good old fashioned conspiracy...

'patternicity' is the natural function of the brain to find meaningful patterns in random occurences. (seeing faces in the clouds etc.)

'agenticity' is the tendency people have to believe that everything is controlled somehow by invisible purposeful agents ("everything happens for a reason", religion etc.)

These tendencies combined with a touch of distrust and a smidgeen of paranoia as well as some ever so "suspicious" series of events and we have ourselves a conspiracy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

A question for you,

If I knocked at your door and said "Give me a thousand euro in the morning at 8am and at 11am I will give you 1 million euro, I won 20million on the lotto and I'm a multimillionaire, here's my passport and driving licence to check my credentials"

What would you do that night?, would you go to bed and get up at 6am for work and go to work, or would you use the information I have given you to search high and low to see if what I say is true and am I genuine?

Stranger things have happened........!

See This LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Pixel8

Even George Noory, a radio host for Coast2CoastAM in the US for the last few years, has said the other day that he believes, yes there is a lot of disinfo but there is a lot of truth to at least 80% off all conspiracies from all the interviews and research he has done himself. He has interviewed dozens of conspiracy researchers.
    If you're a conspiracy theorist, you've done your research, if you're still a skeptic, you haven't done enough research...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

There's more dis-info out there than info!, we've all fallen for it from time to time, just dust yourself off and get up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Pixel8 wrote: »
    Even George Noory, a radio host for Coast2CoastAM in the US for the last few years, has said the other day that he believes, yes there is a lot of disinfo but there is a lot of truth to at least 80% off all conspiracies from all the interviews and research he has done himself. He has interviewed dozens of conspiracy researchers.
    If you're a conspiracy theorist, you've done your research, if you're still a skeptic, you haven't done enough research...

I don't think you'll find many people hold this to be true.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    I don't think you'll find many people hold this to be true.

What does that prove? I don't think you'll find many Turks who find the Armenian massacre to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

Then our own government made us bring mercury into every room in our houses
    By Law!

Many conspiracy theorists see falsehood and underhandedness in everything that is presented via the media. Just because some of them are wacky and totally OTT doesn't mean that all people who have a high level of distrust are necessarily wrong.
    Like all myths and legends there is often a kernel of truth at the heart of the matter.

To believe that our own leaders and business drivers have the welfare of the population at large at heart is foolishness itself, a fact that people are slowly waking up to.
    It is generally the people who are disillusioned with the contempt that our governments and our own banking elite have shown and continue to show for the average citizen who begin to distrust everything they are told and are then mocked for wearing tinfoil hats by those unaffected (yet) by their actions.

The glaring contradiction of a 'Green' minister for the environment making it compulsory to bring highly toxic substances (Mercury) into our homes and ultimately into our soil via landfill on the premise of saving energy is just one such absurdity.

Lower energy bills for all - Yay!
    Electricity price increases - Oh!

Same revenue for generating less power!
    To hell with the soil and peoples health!

Now there is a conspiracy theory, and I didn't even try too hard. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

Thats nonsense, its possible to do research and come to the conclusion that whatever stupid theory someone is claiming is full of holes and obviously false.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you are a true skeptic why would you give any more credence to any whack job out there than you would to the 'official' sources. Surely you would be just as disinclined to believe the the CT brigade as the government.

In my experiences most Ct proponents are just hypocrites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭ed2hands

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you are a true skeptic why would you give any more credence to any whack job out there than you would to the 'official' sources. Surely you would be just as disinclined to believe the the CT brigade as the government.

In my experiences most Ct proponents are just hypocrites.

:pac::pac:
    I would say that a lot of politicians, corporations and bankers are the hypocrites, necessitating the need for forensic analysis of all their words and actions by the "CT brigade" as you call them/us.
    Speaking personally, i would always try to research what i read whatever the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

....seems to me that if you dare think alternatively to what the government & media feed you,your classed as a CT,I think too many of us blindly accept the 'official' info without thinking for ourselves....just like they want you to!! :rolleyes:

"Don't answer their questions,question their answers"!!

Thats nonsense, its possible to do research and come to the conclusion that whatever stupid theory someone is claiming is full of holes and obviously false.

In that case do you have a single example of you ever having doing so here?

I think Pixel8 makes a good point. People rarely if ever go from seeing the conspiracy as more likely to being good party members with their eyes wide shut but there is nobody as far as I can tell who sees the higher probability of a conspiracy before researching the topics this only comes through obtaining a greater knowledge.

The more I look into these topics the more I am convinced of the conspiracies overall.

ed2hands wrote: »
    :pac::pac:
    I would say that a lot of politicians, corporations and bankers are the hypocrites, necessitating the need for forensic analysis of all their words and actions by the "CT brigade" as you call them/us.
    Speaking personally, i would always try to research what i read whatever the source.

What are you on about? You've clearly completely missed my point.

I never said that I blindly except the political version of events as you're attempted to imply, wrongly I may add. In my experience I find many CT proponents will accept the 'alternative' view of events just as blindly as the official version others swallow.

Believing the rantings of some nutter unquestionably on the internet for no reason other than 'it makes sense' is just as sheep like as swallowing the official spin. You say you research all your sources but I find the vast majority of CT's will not.

• Advertisement

What are you on about? You've clearly completely missed my point.

I never said that I blindly except the political version of events as you're attempted to imply, wrongly I may add. In my experience I find many CT proponents will accept the 'alternative' view of events just as blindly as the official version others swallow.

Believing the rantings of some nutter unquestionably on the internet for no reason other than 'it makes sense' is just as sheep like as swallowing the official spin. You say you research all your sources but I find the vast majority of CT's will not.

I wasn't attempting to imply anything, but if i offended you i apologise. I did get your point actually, and agree with your basic premise.
    Research is the best policy as you rightly say.

Are most CT proponents nutjobs? Who am i to say:o

All i do know is, that if it weren't for some of those nutjobs....well you get the picture.

ed2hands wrote: »
    I wasn't attempting to imply anything, but if i offended you i apologise. I did get your point actually, and agree with your basic premise.
    Research is the best policy as you rightly say.

Are most CT proponents nutjobs? Who am i to say:o

All i do know is, that if it weren't for some of those nutjobs....well you get the picture.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be so snappy :o

No, I agree there probably is some truth in some CT's. But as you say, believing in absolutely anything isn't the way to go either. Both extremes (believing the offical spin and believing anything) are just as bad as each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

In that case do you have a single example of you ever having doing so here?

I don't know what exactly you're looking for, but I usually look up whatever people are claiming if the topic interests me, and its usually easy to find flaws and holes in their theory, and obvious that they didn't put as much scrutiny on the CT story as they do on the official one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Obelisk

There is no 'theory' in criminal conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Alot of good answers to this question already have been posted so i will just add my own thoughts for the craic :)

I think quite alot of people who you encounter and that reject the official sources do so out of distrust and i think its generally a good thing if done in moderation and in a balanced way.
    I take the unnoficial sources for example with as much seriousness as i would official ones.
    Any info is possible to be tainted even scientific official facts can be overturned with time and discoveries.

As to why some have gotten to be this way i would say a good majority experienced some degree of disinfranchisment which caused them to question their reality and the things they had experienced or taken as granted.
    This is the case with me as i started out in a strict religion and rebouned in the opposite direction at full force.
    The result was a distrust of the authority figures in many areas of life i had not previously considered.
    So with extreme disinfranchisment i think comes equal measures of suspicion and distrust or if you can temper it into a healthy way of contemplation an equal measure of skepticism.

Some are overly skeptical like myself and choose the middle path of non commitment.
    Others are not so skeptical and chose either of the "sides", be they the official source or the unnoficial source.
    Of course the world isnt just black and white and so most to me slide up and down a scale between the two depending on experience.

But as mentioned it is a CT forum and most of the CT'ers are people who like to speculate on many subjects.
    The official sources ussually dont allow for such thinking and you must either accept their word a dubious as it sometimes can be or be labeled a paranoid of some kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

As well as the pattern linking, conspiracy theorists often fall victim to gross exaggeration

It can be shown, quite strongly, that certain psychiatrists are influenced by certain pharmaceuticals - however, CTer's will often translate or change the word "certain" or "particular" into the words "most" or "all".

e.g. all Western media cannot be trusted

All politicians, all bankers, etc, etc.

Also a hardcore CTer will often just selectively choose to "believe" certain information, not because it is substantiated in any way, just because it may be the "opposite" of the government line or official story. More of a religious approach than a sceptical one.

There are some out there more "seeking the truth" while there are others who are much more "I want to believe".

Jonny7 wrote: »
    all Western media cannot be trusted

Quite right. Well said jonny!

;)

Came across this today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Obelisk

Pretty much I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭clever_name

If you agree with me - your correct, if you disagee with me - your wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

This is what I think for what it’s worth :) The word “theorist” from the phrase “conspiracy theorist” should be changed to “researcher” in my humble opinion. Since the beginning of time “conspiracy” has been rampant, prevalent and part of “civilization” or peoples lives be it in politics, business the starting of wars you name it, “conspiracy” in many ways shapes and form has been part of our existence and always will be. Whilst I don’t subscribe or believe in every CT out there to believe that everything is hunky dory in our world or such skull duggery / conspiracy could not occur or does not take place in the world we live in today is extremely naïve, I would even say dangerous and irresponsible. Democracies or strong republics are built on the distrust of politicians or people in power among other things. It’s the only way it can be, question everything especially that with which seems to need questioning.

Politicians and power whores are responsible for some of the most outrageous and dastardly conspiracies in the history of mankind. Plenty of it is documented. I find them awfully “interesting”. This isn’t to say that everything is a conspiracy because it isn’t but the flip side of that is all is not as it seems or is told. Truth is often stranger than fiction. As soon as we start believing without hesitation everything we are being told by the powers that be and I include main stream media in that as the powers that be own and control it, that is the time that we are well and truly fcked if you ask me. It seems to me nowadays that if you question the authorities version on any given event or circumstance you are labeled a “conspiracy theorist” which is ridiculous and any free thinking person should be offended by such accusations or innuendo.

Conspiracy has happened since the dawn of time and will continue to happen in many guises till’ the end of time that isn’t really up for debate I dont think it’s a fact. So to answer the OP’s original question why are people interested in CT’s? I would say because some of them are not theory and in fact do happen and people well myself anyways get offended when I am blatantly being lied too by some smiling slimy lying politician b@stard who would then have the audacity to suggest the folk who have the nerve to question their bs are “conspiracy theorists” for example the lies leading to the invasion and bombing of Iraq. Don’t believe every CT that’s out there as some of them are just well silly but don’t believe everything the government or news channels or politicians tell you either that shouldn’t really need to be pointed out as its a fairly obvious thing to state.

These “conspiracy theorists” will take some beating, lying power hungry psycho scum like them.. Them crazy CT’er’s and their CT's:rolleyes:

Advertisement