Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longest you've went without sleep?

Options
  • 10-05-2011 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently at 33 hours. Not my longest but still. I think my longest was 50-ish hours.

So, what's the longest you've went without sleep?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,781 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I don't know - DeVore? What was it recently? 76 hours? Somewhere between 70 and 80 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Jesus christ, how'd you/he function after that length of time?!?!

Normally I'm like a zombie. I'm alright now, not even tired. Odd :/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,781 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

It was a challenge, no doubt about it. Things were levitating around the room and gently swaying from side to side.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

psni wrote: »
    I don't know - DeVore? What was it recently? 76 hours? Somewhere between 70 and 80 hours.

Did you turn out like Apu from the Simpsons when he goes a number of days without sleep trying to fly like a humming bird and drinking nectar out of Sanji's head? :D

Fair play for being able to function after that length without sleep. The most I ever went was 34 hours a few years ago.

How very trippy.

Yeah weird stuff has happened to me before. I sometimes get hallucinations when SEVERELY deprived of sleep. I remember one night after a long bout of no sleep, I admitted to my mam about when I got drunk and puked in her slippers. After I had some sleep, I asked her what we were talking about the previous night, she told me she wasn't even home that night, she was staying in a friend's house. I hallucinated the whole thing. Apparantly I talk to myself too when really tired. not just talk to myself, have proper shouting arguments with myself and inanimate objects.

I need sleep :(

• Advertisement

Kojak wrote: »
    Fair play for being able to function after that length without sleep.
    Most emergency services workers are used to going for long periods of time without sleep due to the 24/7 nature of our job, or surviving on very small amounts of sleep due to shift changes, overtime or getting a call half an hour before your shift is due to end, knowing it's going to take hours to deal with.

It's hard to get used to at first, and you do crash afterwards, but the human body is very resilient and can adapt to situations quite quickly.

Wooo got some sleep and I feeel dandy!

I know I won't get sleep till tomorrow night, on account of staying up all night to finish assignments!

Oh sleep, how I miss you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

My longest is about 48 hours. It gets really weird after a while. I remember at close to 40 hours being on a train and instead of listening to conversations beside me, I was listening to conversations further away from those. In addition, I did alot of hallucinating. I imagined people were there who weren't there at all. However, I love it really. There's something cool about hallucinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I've done about 70-80 hours a few times too and it's really not enjoyable. I've found appetite and libido get stupidly high and I have a horrible sickly feeling in my stomach all the time.

Yes there are hallucinations of sorts but I've never found it enjoyable. It always feels like you're in a slightly different reality to everyone around you and always around the corner from some kind of horrible mishap. You are tired and dozey but anxiety levels still run high, you have cold sweats and light doesn't ever feel natural.

Keeping busy is probably key though, having your mind occupied on things more important than self-analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

I'd say around 8 or 9 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Fago! wrote: »
    I'm currently at 33 hours. Not my longest but still. I think my longest was 50-ish hours.

So, what's the longest you've went without sleep?

80-90 hours is the record so far.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Three days twice, once trying to break the world record :P and one on a trip to a Celtic match, jaysus that was a crazy weekend.

I'm massively insomniac (only during summer though :P) so I thought what the hey, let's go for the world record. I was soo disappointed with 3 days. In my worst days of summer I'd say I could make 5 or 6 days.

Me = Zombie

80-90 hours is the record so far.:D

Jaysus how'd ya manage that? And what was the situation that you had to do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Fago! wrote: »
    Jaysus how'd ya manage that? And what was the situation that you had to do that?

Working as captain on a offshorevessel in the North sea,and in the wintertime when the storms comes in,its hard to get some sleep:D

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jan shyr

just 54 hours.
    Remember reading about a guy who did like 212 hours, with slightly diminished concentration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Errr is this with or without things to help you stay awake *cough* :pac:?
    In my younger days I went out on a session on a Thursday evening and didn't stop till late Monday, would be 96 hours give or take. It wasn't even a case of me deciding to stop and go asleep, I pretty much just keeled over.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

I'm afraid I may have gone over 80 hours or so:eek:

Last week of college this year that 3 or 4 assignments that were due in on a Friday, and continually put them off since Christmas. Horrible experience, but when you get through the first barrier of wanting to sleep it isn't too bad.

Funny thing was (Not at the time:() that after taking a 3-4 hour sleep after being 80 or more hours awake, when I woke up I had the most intense feeling of nausea:( Was very sick on numerous occasions I've done these sessions.

Did I learn my lesson?:)
    No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

51 hours is the most i made it to. before i felt like nothing. cant even remember what the hell i was doing to keep me up for that long. i remember waking up at 1pm and not going to bed till 6am a day or two later cant remember. everything was a blurr. i must have had coke or something. dunno where i would have got it cause i know nobody. must been growing it in the back garden without my own knowledge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

From 7pm on the 23rd of december to 3am(ish) on the morning of the 27th of december. Got up to work 12 hour night shift on 23rd, had shopping and stuff to do 24th. then working again 12 hours 24th night, then xmas day with the folks and back in to work xmas night for another 12 hour shift. Then had to go visit the inlaws 26th day and went out 26th night. Was p!ssed on about 5 pints but still went clubbing.
    All told 75 hours. I was in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

I once did 68 hours followed by 2 hours kip on an hard floor followed by another 58-60 hours during a trip to the far east, travel chaos lots of cancelled flights nowhere to sleep, things get foggy and can't tell difference between real and hallucinations once you go past 40 hours and feel like crap after, I slept for about 5 hours and when I woke up well I've never felt worse even though you don't feel too bad during it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Have done around 40 hours several times. Would get up around 9 or 10 in the morning. Do a 11 to 12 hour night shift that evening from 9, get breakfast before going home, and go to bed at my regualar time that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

36 hours. A mad night of drinking myself stupid

I passed out in a couch in a friends house for four hours. Woke up and felt horribly sick.

Went home and slept for 17 hours solid on a comfy bed. Woke up feeling awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Miss Informed

Working as captain on a offshorevessel in the North sea,and in the wintertime when the storms comes in,its hard to get some sleep:D

That sounds like my worst nightmare.. Fair play to you sir.

I went 80 hours once. I think it was one of the most sickening and disorientating experiences of my life. The hallucinations, nausea, paranoia and general insanity are fairly rough. I couldn't imagine being stuck out at sea - in a storm - in that condition. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

2 nights before my wedding 56 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Mindme

After a 12 hour shift at ICI, went shopping in Manchester all day. Caught the overnight Mail boat from Liverpool to Dublin staying up all night reading the hilarious novel by J P Donleavy, "The Ginger Man".

My wife and I then took my mother then living in Rathgar road to town and we wined and dined all day at the Metropole in O' Connell street.
    Sent Mam home tipsy and went with a Dutch Chef to the National ballroom didn't get to bed till early the next morning. 1963.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I recall working for three days solid once when I was in my early 20's. The factory were desperate to get an order out on time. It was crazy looking back on it but I was on tripple time overtime and my motto then was to make hay while the sun shines etc.

Went home fit to drop though and straight to bed and had to be up for work the following day.

Once off marathons like that are doable. I found the time I was working two jobs much harder overall. I worked 8am to 1am for about six months. Had to pack one of the jobs in eventually as both were suffering as a result of my tirdness. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

I would say about 40 hours about two years ago for exams. And I'm still doing that kind of thing.

I also find it difficult to sleep during the summer due to heat and limited "dark" hours (it was bright until about 11:00pm this evening!). I reckon I sleep about 4 to 5 hours on a good night during the summer.

Advertisement