Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two-part Guinness pour - Your own thoughts?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I remember a couple of oul fellas pubs in the village where I grew up, they had two taps for Guinness, a cold one and a warm one. The pint was poured with the standard cold tap, recognisable because of condensation on the metal part of the tap, and was topped up with a tap served at room temperature. Excellent pints, both pubs sadly long gone. I've no idea as to whether this makes a difference. I think Guinness is served too cold in a lot of pubs either way.

There is no difference in a blind tasting, or to me at least, I've done it loads of times over the years with mates and nobody can pick it out for definite as to whether its one part or two part poured, it does make a difference to how it looks though, which is why its is still continued. As a number of people have quite rightly said its quality control in the lines in the pub that matters, something that was neglected for a long time here.

Having said that the best Guinness is usually in a pub thats not so busy, where the staff are not being rushed and they can do a two part pour. To me the look of the pint still matters a lot. Dublin city centre has imo some of the worst Guinness in the country with a few honourable exceptions. Part of the reason is their tendency to throw the pints out as quickly as possible, to get the max cash back over the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

Lapin wrote: »
    If you pour a pint in one go, the head on it will be about an inch thick.

It makes no difference to the taste.

No it wouldn't. I would be the exact same. If you're getting think head it's because it's being served too warm. 2 part pour is all marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

It's marketing blurb... totally baseless. Here's one being poured electronically in 6 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Heineken had a training sessions recently telling their publicans to use a 3 pint pour and ONLY to use a wet glass.

One publican was telling me of an evening. We bought had a good laugh as I strolled off with my one pint poured Heineken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

It's marketing blurb... totally baseless. Here's one being poured electronically in 6 seconds.

That wouldn't happen if you pulled with a standard tap that flows slower AFAIK - as mentioned above, the head on the pint would be messed up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭iambrazil

Jev/N wrote: »
    That wouldn't happen if you pulled with a standard tap that flows slower AFAIK - as mentioned above, the head on the pint would be messed up

I've tried pouring it in one go a few times. You can get it to come out exactly like that video posted there. Makes no difference to the head size.

The only thing that does happen is you are more likely to overfill the glass resulting in a small bit of waste. Also you can't really get the domed head on the pint with a one part pour. You have to tap it up just a little.

Advertisement