Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3 noobs need advice.

Options
  • 09-05-2011 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Short story,long.A couple of friends and I are gonna give SC2 a shot,starting during the week.One of us started today but got kinda ripped up in multiplayer (I told him to wait).

We are total noobs so I was wondering if you guys had any advice? Do's and don'ts kinda thing? Also,what kind of format would be best? Can we play 3 v 3 against another team? What should we expect?

I had a look at the sticky and there's a few good vids that I'll be coming back to when I get going.

Thanks in advance lads.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭rzelky

Definitely watch most of the vids @ teh sticky post [ day[9] archives ], join #starcraft.ie in IRC for a real-time discussion about sc2 and play play play.
    If you are total newbs just get familiar with the game, prolly 3v3 would be both fun and helpfull ...

In short IRC -> day[9] vids -> sc2 games :D

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Generally strats for the game options 3v3 etc are different depending on the one you like to play.

I would advise that ye play some 3v3 on your own or with 1 of your friends.

The reasons for this is :

You prolly wont get smashed straight off playing as 1 in a team of 3v3.

This will help you understand some of the strats and tac in these games.

Also will allow you some time to get into the later stages of games where you can see different strats paying dividends.

It will give you experience that ye can bring into yere 3v3 games.

Playing 3v3 straight off with your friends will probably involve quick defeats if the opp has anyone decent so having a bit of games under your belt before going as a 3 might be a good idea.

It definitely helped me when i played with my friends in the team games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Main basics of the game.

1)Never que up units to be built, try and always have maximum of 2 in a que
    2)Always be producing workers(SCV/Drones/Probes) optimise your worker to gas/minerals. per gas and a block of minerals always have 3 workers on them.
    3)Learn the basic build order for the starting race. Terran at 10 workers build a supply depo, at 12 workers build a barracks. For Protoss at 9 build a pylon, at 13 build a gateway. For zerg at 9 build a overlord at 15 build a spawning pool.
    4)ALWAYS try and spend your minerals/gas. Keep them as low as possable. So if you see yourself having a lot of minerals/gas and queing units in your army producing buildings, Build another one.

3v3 is fun, but does get quite frustrating near the start of you playing as you will get people attacking you very early without you knowing how they got an army that quickly. Just keep practicing and getting better.

The starcraft community is one of the best communities, we are always open for more people wanting to play and improve, because the more people want to improve the more they relise what a great game this is.

Day[9] is a fantastic resource for begginer players. He does a daily webcast on how to be a better Starcraft 2 gamer. You can find his archives of all his shows(there are currently 301) Here:
    http://day9tv.blip.tv/posts?view=archive&nsfw=dc

There is also a group of us on a chat channel, were we are happy to give advice and ever practice with you.

Details on joining can be located here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055984866

Or a straight web link to join to test it out can be found here:

http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=starcraft.ie

Dont be afraid to ask, the main thing is its a game and have fun playing it. Once you get into it, you will slowing get intrested in pro matches and streams and see how the top tier players play.

Welcome to Starcraft 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

I haven't touched it, but as far as I know the campaign is meant to be a pretty good introduction to the game so you might want to consider doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Icarus, if you wanna play something and get a little advice etc - then I'm Feanor 980 on b.net.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

Columc wrote: »
    Main basics of the game.

1)Never que up units to be built, try and always have maximum of 2 in a que
    2)Always be producing workers(SCV/Drones/Probes) optimise your worker to gas/minerals. per gas and a block of minerals always have 3 workers on them.
    3)Learn the basic build order for the starting race. Terran at 9 workers build a supply depo, at 12 workers build a barracks. For Protoss at 9 build a pylon, at 13 build a gateway. For zerg at 9 build a overlord at 15 build a spawning pool.
    4)ALWAYS try and spend your minerals/gas. Keep them as low as possable. So if you see yourself having a lot of minerals/gas and queing units in your army producing buildings, Build another one.

3v3 is fun, but does get quite frustrating near the start of you playing as you will get people attacking you very early without you knowing how they got an army that quickly. Just keep practicing and getting better.

The starcraft community is one of the best communities, we are always open for more people wanting to play and improve, because the more people want to improve the more they relise what a great game this is.

Day[9] is a fantastic resource for begginer players. He does a daily webcast on how to be a better Starcraft 2 gamer. You can find his archives of all his shows(there are currently 301) Here:
    http://day9tv.blip.tv/posts?view=archive&nsfw=dc

There is also a group of us on a chat channel, were we are happy to give advice and ever practice with you.

Details on joining can be located here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055984866

Or a straight web link to join to test it out can be found here:

http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=starcraft.ie

Dont be afraid to ask, the main thing is its a game and have fun playing it. Once you get into it, you will slowing get intrested in pro matches and streams and see how the top tier players play.

Welcome to Starcraft 2
    Orizio wrote: »
    Icarus, if you wanna play something and get a little advice etc - then I'm Feanor 980 on b.net.

Cheers for all the great tips lads,especially the above two.I'll defo take you up on your offers of advice etc.

Plan is to get the game tomorrow and probably play through the single player for a few days first.Depending on how everything goes,I might start a Diary of a noob type blog for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

play the single player through, it's good :)
    then play the single player challenges, replay the zerg rush challenge until you get gold. this is the most critical challenge for multi-player awesomeness.

then play some custom games with friends, against each other, against computer. then start some games. you will be placed in a league with roughly equal players and will win 50% of your games and have fun in 100% if playing with friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭VikingErik

Single player will trick you a bit as all those units are not available in multiplayer.
    I suppose the campaign is good if you want to play terran later. I wanted to play protoss so I just jumped onto the ladder and got my ass kicked 10 times before it paired me with someone I could beat.

I'd say, watch a lot of replays with good commentators (Day9, Husky, HD etc.) cause it helps you get a better understanding of the game. And the unit counters that you need to be aware of.

Play custom games with each other and then discuss the games and give each other advice and criticism. I've not tried this but I think it could be fun. In custom games you can also just sit in on games played by others. Search for "obs" or "observer" and you should one for each map. There you can just watch others play against one another while the rest of people just talk. People discuss what the players are doing right or wrong and other important elements and you can ask questions if you don't know something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I'd only play the campaign if you enjoy it. You won't learn a whole lot.

I'm REALLY enjoying the campaign. The missions are very different and fun. Multiplayer is a bit stressful but very rewarding because you learn to multi-task and analyse the situation on the go. It challenges you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Khazidhea

Wait wait wait. Do NOT play challenges and do NOT get into practice league. The game speed is normal in there. I was shocked when I found about it. If you gonna play single player, play on fastest speed! Because it is the only multiplayer speed available on ladder.

And terrans build depo on 10 >_<

Khazidhea wrote: »
    Wait wait wait. Do NOT play challenges and do NOT get into practice league. The game speed is normal in there. I was shocked when I found about it. If you gonna play single player, play on fastest speed! Because it is the only multiplayer speed available on ladder.

WHAT???

I was sure ladder was at FASTER game speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Just relsied my typo there Khaz since you said it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭F69Baal

a couple games between the three of you can me nice to try out stuff (FFA for instance). You can also play the AI (3vs 3easy AI or smthg) just to get used to the basics.

I dont think going on 3v3 ladder directly is too good as you re mostly going to get cheesed/"all in"-ed a lot

at any case, welcome!

F69Baal wrote: »
    a couple games between the three of you can me nice to try out stuff (FFA for instance). You can also play the AI (3vs 3easy AI or smthg) just to get used to the basics.

I dont think going on 3v3 ladder directly is too good as you re mostly going to get cheesed/"all in"-ed a lot

at any case, welcome!

You say that like we don't know how to scout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭F69Baal

no i didnt mean it like that.

I m teaching my sister SC2 and at first we went for a couple team games. It s not very interesting to play only 5/6 minutes-long games, regardless of the result.

Even if you scout a canon rush and defend it the game ends right there and you cant really try anything (i meant it more in that way)

F69Baal wrote: »
    no i didnt mean it like that.

I m teaching my sister SC2 and at first we went for a couple team games. It s not very interesting to play only 5/6 minutes-long games, regardless of the result.

Even if you scout a canon rush and defend it the game ends right there and you cant really try anything (i meant it more in that way)

I'm only in bronze so I don't know what the experience is at higher levels but I've been lucky enough to have slightly longer games even when I hold off cannon rushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i have played about 1k+ team game with my m8 :pac: and i am consistently in diamond since last year. i only play teamgame for fun whenever when mates call. so abit 2cent here:

in order to fully enjoy team game:
    1.go do some 1v1 with 1 race, try to learn the race. i'd say best would be get to gold.
    make sure you fully understand how to handle different kind of cheese and the weakness of all races during early game.
    2.always remember to up detection at 6-7mins, under normal circumstances.
    3.think about your team before you do anything. if he can back you up or you can support him to this attack etc. you work as a team, so when your partner gets attacked, you need to protect him asap or kill 1 of them at the same time.
    4.learn a timing attack combo. go at 5-6mins. 5-6mins is a critical timing window which the oppo wont have dt/siege/banshee/blueflame all the BS.

part 3 is really complicated(which is why people dont take teamgame seriously, too many variables to decide a win in team game) and once you do well you will be in higher league. i think you should focus on work out a nice timing attack as a team and i am pretty sure that will get you at least to Plat.

when you get to Dia or higher, most people you see in the games play 1v1 too(you can tell if they play 1v1 or not, their tend to be a one trick pony/dumbass lacking some basic knowledge if they dont do 1v1), so what usually happens is either early timing attack/with cheese->get advantage-> macro war, or Turtle up/with cheese and Tech hardcore. i think 80% of my games are longer than 25mins. the short games are either they all in 2times and understand they have no chance then leave or some early timing attack works out so well. people just dont leave straight away after 1 person die or something, because 3v4 can still win if you get the units and timing right(eg your team keep all in and only kill 1 player, the other players have the econ to own you all etc).

anyway,try to do some timing combo and when you get to higher league, you will need to have solid macro too.

and if you play long enough you will get used to alot of imba BS in sc2 :P just saying. i really think that teamgame is a good way to test out some unit counters etc, since the army scale is always bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

teamwork.gif

Build Ravens.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Just start playing against the computer and get a feel for the game, then go on team liquid and look up some strategy guides.

• Advertisement

Laisurg wrote: »
    Just start playing against the computer and get a feel for the game, then go on team liquid and look up some strategy guides.

Watch some replays and Day9. Make sure you use hotkeys. And then jump in the ladder. You'll lose like 6-7 games at first then get matched against people at your own level. Battle.net is very good at matching you well once you've done your placements.

I jumped straight into the ladder when I got the games. I watched a lot of replays before which helps you understand unit counters, builds and some economy.

For replays I go to - http://sc2casts.com/ - it has really good filtering options (by caster/player/date posted/match-up/etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

on a brighter note, as you lose games, the games get more even!

Also important to ask yourself "why did I lose?" and then try to improve on that.

Just a quick update on the OP....

I started out playing the campaign on hard difficulty and found it unpossible.On most levels I had to reduce back to normal.The campaign gave me a feel for the controls and a start at understanding Terran units.

I've tried to follow the day 9 vids but found them a bit heavy on detail for a beginner.Someone posted this 3 barrack build order vid in the other beginners thread here which I've found very good.Simple,clear and concise.Any thoughts on what type of builds I should continue with from here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWItSrXKwzw

I've played about 8 games in the beginners league,I won the first 5 using the above strat and lost the last 3.I think they may have put me against trickier opponents after game 5.I've been caught out by an early zerg air-rush once and once by my opponent's wise use of medivacs.Think I may have to incorpoate medivac production into my build order.

My 2 noob friends are lagging behind a little in their play,I think.

Any thoughts,opinions or suggestions welcome.

I'd say from here on out its all about just getting better at execution and you could learn more builds. Learn to micro, maybe incorporate some ghosts. Definitely learn medivac use and dropping. Learn to attack on multiple fronts cause that's a deadly skill. Maybe start using marine/tank composition as an alternative, it would certainly help you deal with those muta-balls.

Other than that I'd suggest you make sure you have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Khazidhea

Beginner league = Practice league != Bronze league? Get out of there!

The game speed is slower than the real thing, forget about it!

Oh yeah, I forgot about the beginners league. Get out of that. It's only good for practising hotkeys.

I've tried to balance things out by playing against the AI on very hard aswell.I suppose I just find the unranked games in the beginners league a little less scary.Also,it seems like a good sandbox to try different play styles.

Fair point though,I'm sure you could develop alot of lazy habits there too.

You'll only really get better by playing better players. I know I remembered feeling like regular speed and the ladder felt scary, but you get used to it and it ends up being really exciting.

JUST DO IT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

pick zerg in the team league

get your mate to pick terran

With zerg look for the 10 pool speedling build (on liquipedia)
    Your terran mate should just produce marines (cut scvs, build 3 barracks)

Over time (games are very short) your attack will get better, more organised and earlier (4:30 attack with 7 marines with overlord for sight and 8 lings is pretty much what you can be aiming for)

I know its a bit advanced, but choosing one build, and refining it over and over is great fun.. its a build that works.. and it will get you into very high masters if you get good at it

For 3v3 same thing, just third player terran or zerg

Cheese/early attack/whatever you want to call it, is the fastest and most fun way to rapidly advance

Advertisement