Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youth Section

Options
  • 08-05-2011 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Is their any youth section of the Guards ( 14-18 about ) or the defence forces or any emergency services around Ireland.... I no that the police and army in england have cadet section thats for 14 years old on....

I no about the Garda Reserve and the FCA but they are a bit to old for me at the minute so try and help me out hear?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,703 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Any particular emergency service that you're interested in? We sometimes let kids in to train with us in Garnerville as a kind of 'taster', but it sounds like you want something ongoing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Irish_Rugby

I dont mind realy I would be more into the defence forces or the guards ... something like the fca but younger...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,703 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

The problems isn't your enthusiasm or level of interest, the problem is your age. You can't actively enforce law until you're 18 or over and you've already indicated that you're not into the RDF. Have you thought about joining the Civil Defence? They take people from the age of 16 up.

If you're not 16 just yet, why not join something like the Red Cross/Order of Malta/St John Ambulance to get valuable experience and knowledge under your belt for when it comes your time to apply to join for a full-time policing job? One of the things they love to see on an application form is community involvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The Order of Malta is a good organization in my opinion.
    Do some courses and you'll be meeting new people and developing your skills and going to events.
    Good for the self confidence too

And if you ever apply for full time in the military/gardaí/HSE or any other service, well it can only help your application.

I have heard alot about the civil defence but what do they do or whats their role and do you need much to join?

• Advertisement

A little light bedtime reading for you on the Civil Defence here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

http://www.civildefence.ie

It's a good website with info

Not being smart :) but there are a huge number of threads here in a search
    http://www.boards.ie/search/?q=civil+defence
    Some with 75 replies, take an hour for a read

And do consider the Order of Malta

Thanks for all the reply's lads I am fairly sorted for some sort of service to do :)

Feel free to drop by with any more questions should you need to. This could be the start of your career in the emergency services in some way!

I cant get this clear... Is there ranks in the civil defense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Yes but enforcement of ranks varies by county and by the type of event or duty. In some counties ranks prevail regardless, and in other areas if its first aid cover or ambulance duty the person with highest qualification leads.

There is Volunteers, Leaders, Officers (3 levels I think), Commander, Assistant Civil Defence Officer and Civil Defence Officer.

However aside from ranking getting involved in Civil Defence allows you to learn a little about first aid and ambulance work, fire fighting, heights or water rescue, welfare or other skills. Furthermore Civil Defence (depending on the county) are often asked to assist with Stewarding and Traffic Control at events. When doing so they would work closely with and usually under the supervision (direct or indirect) of the Gardai. If your close to 16 and intersted in going to the Gardai in the future it may be your best bet. There are members of Dublin, Galway and Cavan Civil Defence, to name but a few who later joined the Gardai.

If your more interested in the Ambulance or Medical Side of things the Order of Malta, Red Cross and St John Ambulance focus on First Aid Training and Provision along with some community work. The Order of Malta and St John Ambulance both have ranks also. Some units have cadets of all ages. There are certainly members of the Irish Red Cross who joined young and later became Gardai also.

Also getting involved with the voluntaries may help you to get a few stressful or high pressure incidents under your belt meaning that you know how you cope under pressure and perhaps prepare you better for a regular emergency service position.

As PSNI stated community involvement is looked at during the Garda application process.

If you have questions about one of the above someone in the Voluntary Emergency Services forum may be able to advise further.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Started going to the RDF every Tuesday night in Cathal Brugha when I was 16,did foot drill and stripping the Steyr and other bits n pieces,wasn't sworn in until I was 18 though.My mates brother was a corporal so maybe thats why we were allowed,if you know someone in the RDF maybe ask them.

Advertisement