Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Defence

Options
  • 07-09-2009 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi

Anyone here involved in the Civil Defence in Dublin? What does it involve? Do you need qualifications in certain things in order to be accepted?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,757 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Information here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 617

In Dublin you need to be at least 17 to join Civil Defence, no qualifications required except to pass Garda vetting. There are I understand about 200 on a waiting list at present, they will be tested on their physical/ mental suitability for the various services over the coming months. The services are :
    AFS = Auxiliary Fire Service ( back up to the professional fire brigade )
    Casualty Service ( provide first aid and events and emergencies )
    Rescue Service ( mountain search and rescue )
    Wardens ( monitoring of radiation and radio control at events )
    Welfare ( care for evacuees during emergencies )
    There are also boat units which normally take people from either the AFS or Rescue.
    So if you are reasonably fit, over 17 and interested, get you name on the list. The AFS is always a popular choice so if you are interested in any of the other services that would speed up your entry.
    Hope this helps Daisy Chain or other interested viewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 DaisyChains

Thanks guys. I note in the information posted by PSNI that there is an intake in Dublin in September. Are there many such intakes per year?

I would love to get in so soon :-)

Does the Civil Defence in Dublin work closely with the Coast Guard?

(P.S. Just rang Dublin and they told me same about 200 on list :-( I hope I get called soon though! )

Daisy chains there are normally 2 intakes per year n Dublin, Sept. and Jan/Feb.
    The Civil Defence Water Rescue in Malahide has a very good working relationship with Howth Coast Guard and each service takes part in each others exercises.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

While most local Coast Guard units work closely with CD units there is no formal memorandum of understanding between both orgainsations at a higher level.

CD is, by legislation, a secondary emergency service where as Coast Guard is a front line service. CD back up the front line services at certain times

• Advertisement

While most local Coast Guard units work closely with CD units there is no formal memorandum of understanding between both orgainsations at a higher level.

CD is, by legislation, a secondary emergency service where as Coast Guard is a front line service. CD back up the front line services at certain times

Thanks for reply. In order to get into the water rescue team, is it essential that you have lifeguard qualifications? I only have a third of mine and I'm not the strongest swimmer either :-/

617 wrote: »
    Daisy chains there are normally 2 intakes per year n Dublin, Sept. and Jan/Feb.
    The Civil Defence Water Rescue in Malahide has a very good working relationship with Howth Coast Guard and each service takes part in each others exercises.

Hi 617

I was told I might get a call in January:-) I hope I do! There is an unprecedented interest in volunteering with the CD. They reckon it's the current economic climate that's causing it. People have more time on their hands between jobs.

Thanks for reply. In order to get into the water rescue team, is it essential that you have lifeguard qualifications? I only have a third of mine and I'm not the strongest swimmer either :-/

No they should bring you along with swimming. As long as you are water confident you should be fine. Lifeguard qualifications help......but are in no way essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I'm fairly sure there has been a MoU between CD and CG for a good few years, read a copy of it at one stage.

There is indeed a MoU between Civil Defence and the Coast Guard, operation of it is a bit patchy around the country, however works well in Nth.Dublin/Fingal.
    It should also not be forgotten that the RNLI is the 1st response to rescue off the coast. The Coast Guard are the co-ordinating and monitoring agency. However the Coast Guard would be very involved in cliff search/rescue.
    It is important that all these agencies work well together, anybody in Howth during the summer will have seen CD,CG & RNLI in joint exercise.
    To answer to daisychains query is the main requirement for CD Water Rescue boats is that you are confident in the water in a lifejacket/PFD, no great swimming is required, we try to stay in the boat !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

You're not always nice methinks. We like to be considered the ninth emergency service.

617 wrote: »
    It should also not be forgotten that the RNLI is the 1st response to rescue off the coast.

Very much off topic and wrong comment. Irish Coast Guard do infact co ordinate all water rescues. They also have four helicopter bases to provide off shore rescue and have several boat units which provide inshore rescue response (although some are patrol boats). There is also Community Rescue Boats Ireland which are community units declared to IrCG for response to inshore rescues. They are on pager alert.

RNLI, IrCG and CRBI have their area of operations allocated to them. Some areas over lap. Some units back up others. RNLI are not the exclusive 1st response to rescue off the coast.

wexfjord wrote: »
    You're not always nice methinks. We like to be considered the ninth emergency service.

Im always nice......see the name:p

9th ES???

Thank you all for the information. It's very interesting. Well, tell me this...and I'm guessing you are all men...is it more difficult for a girl to get into the water rescue service due to physical strength?

I am quite slight in build.

Are there many women in your teams?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I am on the Jan induction list for DCD, although I was really hoping to get into the September one . . . I guess I might see you around!:)

I am on the Jan induction list for DCD, although I was really hoping to get into the September one . . . I guess I might see you around!:)

cool, let me know how you get on :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Torpedo

RNLI would be the first response for the Dublin coast line but as Nice Guy says not exclusively all round the country. For example Doolin Coast Guard in Clare would be the first response boat for that patch.

If the Howth Coast Guard boat is on patrol work they'll get tasked to emergecies on the water, if they're not on the water the RNLI will get paged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

Woo... passed my Physical and Interview :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Nice_Guy_Eddie

"CD already has a long standing liaison agreement with the IRCG, which it hopes to extend to the HSE and Irish Fire Services to improve response arrangements in all scenarios."

Extract from:
    Page 29 in Issue 34 of the Emergency services Ireland magazine. Article title - "A Civil Inter-Agency Agreement"

Not sure what it really means but there ya go! Hope that answers your question in some way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Anyone else heard of an upcoming recruitment embargo for the Civil Defence?

• Advertisement

Anyone else heard of an upcoming recruitment embargo for the Civil Defence?

Nothing of the sort has been mentioned at board meetings but its not beyond the realms of possibility that local embargos may apply. Individual CDO's may have plans based on local authority funding drying up.

Given that CD has devised a new recruitment procedures, inroduced garda vetting etc, I dont see them shutting up shop for a while unless particular units are at capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

would there be as sever waiting lists in the Kildare based CD as the DCD?

I could be wrong but i dont imagine a waiting list in kildare. Good, progressive county. I'm sure they would be in a position to welcome new members. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

wexfjord wrote: »
    I could be wrong but i dont imagine a waiting list in kildare. Good, progressive county. I'm sure they would be in a position to welcome new members. Best of luck with it.

Cheers :D

First meeting 21st Jan, cant wait to be quite honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Is there any word on people starting training in the Dublin CD this Janurary, I've gone through the induction/testing and sent my medical form in last December, haven't heard anything since. Just wondering if anyone has an update?

Hey there

I must have got bad information when I rang the CD in Dublin a few months back, because all they did was take my phone number, told me they would put me on a list and would call me in January...I haven't heard anything since! I wasn't told to complete any forms etc... Was just told that the waiting list was over 200!!

So it's interesting to see that others have been called for medical tests etc...

Well done to those who have been called!! Would love to be in your position!

What has been the experience of other applicants?

Ziycon wrote: »
    Is there any word on people starting training in the Dublin CD this Janurary, I've gone through the induction/testing and sent my medical form in last December, haven't heard anything since. Just wondering if anyone has an update?

I haven't heard back from them yet myself, Im guessing we did the induction at the same time (Novemberish?).

@ DaisyChains, If I were you I would ring up the office and ask if you are still on the list.

Advertisement