Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N64 owners, your video problems are over.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Hmm, a not sure about that gag tbh...

Ok ok yeah Retr0 would have been the obvious candidate for it...but he never posts pictures of vaseline

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And, ironically, it was aimed at Retr0 with his comments about the N64 and it's vaseline-0-vision.

So, let just say I think we all learned something here today!

So, let just say I think we all learned something here today!

Despite being in your mid sixties, your as straight as a arrow.
    Retr0 holds exclusive rights for vaseline jokes
    Never joke about the mod of a forum's sexuality

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hmm, I think it is safer to let Retr0 have exclusive rights to Vaseline jokes, we have to throw him a bone now and again.
    Yes I am straight.
    Yes, you can poke fun at my sexuality.
    No you can't use a penis to poke me while doing it! ;)

Hmm, I think it is safer to let Retr0 have exclusive rights to Vaseline jokes, we have to throw him a bone now and again

No no you misunderstand, he has exclusive rights to be at the receiving end of vaseline jokes :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,594 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

/Came in to read discussion about S video cables - see one about the merits of Vaseline instead.

Cannot be unseen :(

o1s1n wrote: »
    /Came in to read discussion about S video cables - see one about the merits of Vaseline instead.

Cannot be unseen :(

Welcome to A&R :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Just RGB'd my Japanese N64. Obviously great improvement in the picture and a simple enough mod once you track down a suitable console.
    So now the same cable works for SNES/N64 and Gamecube, should cut down on the clutter a bit :)

My meager collection is all PAL carts apart from a cheap NTSC one I got to test the mod so probably go the everdrive route for playing and PAL carts for the shelf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 porkchop840

Hello, learned ones! :P

This thread seems like a good place to ask this question. Plus I haven't seen it mentioned already.

Was thinking of buying the S-Video cable for my PAL N64, but there isn't an S-Video port in the TV I'm using. Its a Ferguson DVD Combo that supports RGB at least. I asked about this and was told it would function if the scart socket was S-Video compatible.

The plan was to buy an S-Video to scart adapter and connect it that way. Just wondered if RGB would be similar or would it be a waste of money.

Help greatly appreciated :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,932 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RGB is superior to s-video, the problem is that PAL N64's won't support RGB stupidly. A s-video to RGB adapter should work fine though. You should also consider a NTSC N64. Most models can be modded for RGB and the increase in framerate greatly enhances games over the PAL versions.

• Advertisement

Sounds good :)

In the case of buying an NTSC console, would I need some sort of adapter to play my PAL games? I'm not really up to speed on how the carts operate.

Also, I don't have a clue how to mod/solder/butcher consoles. Would that be a problem?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,932 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You can use an adapter but you'll probably run into problems with them. I started with PAL as well and when I get money I'm probably going to have to replace all my PAL carts with NTSC which is annoying but my own fault, NTSC really is a massive improvement over PAL. It's up to you if you can live with PAL running slower and having borders that mess up the aspect ratio. NTSC games are much cheaper than PAL at least even when factoring in postage and there's a few must haves that never got a PAL release.

S-video is so close to RGB it will probably do you. As for soldering I was the same as you but it's actually a lot easier than you think.

That, without a doubt, makes a lot of sense. NTSC seems like a good bet. :) I love seeing my retro games play as smooth and crisp as possible, mainly DC and N64.

But lets say that's an option further down the road. Could an argument be made for a frame rate mod on a PAL console?

Keep in mind I am learning as I go along and know very little about how mods are done. :P

But lets say that's an option further down the road. Could an argument be made for a frame rate mod on a PAL console?

No such mod exists. Basically if you are really interested in collecting N64 don't make the same mistake as me and go PAL at the start. If you are collecting casually then I'm sure you won't mind.

Ok, that's opened my eyes a bit :)

I already had a PAL console to begin with, but it was free.....seeing as it was donated to me by someone who said the graphics were s***e! Happy to take it off their hands ( and sniggered to myself inside :P )

I'm not a hardcore collector as such, but I do like to see all my games in the best detail possible. As you said, if money was no object, then go completely NTSC.

For now, I hope to get the S-Video cable and the adapter and hope for the best :)

Just to note that a lot of NTSC games are incompatible with an adapter in a PAL machine and at best you'll end up with bordered and slowed down gameplay and screwed up music.

As for NTSC being a money is no object investment, you'll pay peanuts for a NTSC machine but probably have to pay about 20-25 in postage if you find a good ebay auction. In the long run you'll save money on games since US games are much better priced.

If you go with PAL make sure you only buy the PAL s-video cable from consolegoods since it's the only place that makes the modified cables.

I can confirm the svideo to scart adapter works perfectly, & I can also say the quality is so close to RGB in this case, personally I wouldn't bother doing the rgb mod.

To echo Retr0 too, save yourself the time & effort & start your collection off with NTSC titles. The carts themselves work out a lot cheaper, especially on ebay/lukie games with the combined shipping offer, they will be full screen & 60Hz too so faster gameplay.

I'm on board with the NTSC plan. Although, I share some of Retr0's sadness that I already own some of the essential titles already. :(

OoT, Lylat Wars, Mario and Mario Kart 64, Banjo-Kazooie and of course South Park...

All things considered, I don't own a great deal of games for it. So I wouldn't lose out too much :)

OoT, Lylat Wars, Mario and Mario Kart 64, Banjo-Kazooie and of course South Park...

You'll get those games for peanuts. It's when you realise you'll need to re buy the expensive stuff like Conkers and Paper Mario that the tears start to well up :)

Yes, those are on my hitlist too. They look like a lot of fun. :)

Hope this is the right thread for this, but would buying a RAM expansion pack help the performance much more?

• Advertisement

In games that it supports it doesn't help performance but you can play in high res mode which isn't advisable since it severely hits the frame rate.

You guys are a wealth of info. Thank you ever so much! :D

I assume I'd need to opt for an NTSC-U console and USA games due to language options?

Yes but then it's up to you. We're very picky collectors here so that PAL stuff really bothers us. Some people go for the ignorance is bliss option and don't mind collecting PAL N64 stuff. It's up to you really.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yes but then it's up to you. We're very picky collectors here so that PAL stuff really bothers us. Some people go for the ignorance is bliss option and don't mind collecting PAL N64 stuff. It's up to you really.

The way I see it is, if you've amasses a PAL collection, live with it...its not worth moving over a huge amount of games for NTSC. But the OP is only beginning really, so now is the ideal time to make the switch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

So, I was going through a few of my older retro bits in storage this evening and came across a Nintendo SVideo cable that looks the same as the below image.
    nintendo-svideo.jpg

It's not a consolegoods cable as I've had it for years. Just tested it on my PAL N64 and it works fine. It's hooked up to my projector as thats all I have in my home office with an SVideo connection so I cant really tell if the colours are accurate or not as its not calibrated or anything.

What's the difference between this cable and the consolegoods one?

You'll get over saturated colours through that cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You'll get over saturated colours through that cable.

The colours look ok on the projector but as I said its not calibrated and and I think the "cool" image setting is on. The only other thing I have with an svideo connection is a 50" Sony LCD and I reckon its gonna look sh1t on that anyway.

Weird ass update.

Just hooked up the N64 again using the Red/White/Yellow thingy cable.... Changed the aspect ratio on my CRT to 16:9 and messed with the colour a bit....

Picture comes out a little clearer and smoother! :O

Still a tad blurry, mind. But I thought it was interesting. :) Hope to order the S-Video cable and such this week and see how much better it looks :)

Advertisement