Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How big of a WWE fan are you?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Wrestling is the only entity where the backstage dealings is as interesting (if not more so) as the on-screen stuff. It's such a unique product where every match and finish has a story behind the story.

Check out Review-a-Wai's WrestleMania XIX podcast it's compelling the stories behind a lot of these matches. Austin's last match/having to check himself out of hospital that day, Rock coming back from Hollywood, Angle risking paralysis wrestling....absolutely chock-a-block with stories :)

I know but I find that people who become too invested in backstage stuff watch the shows from a completely wrong perspective. It's more fun to be a "mark" as they say when watching wrestling than to be worrying about why so and so isnt getting pushed, etc... It is fake at the end of the day. I like backstage stories about, like you said, WM 19. That doc. they did on it was very interesting. I will listen to that though, WM 19 seemed a big of a hectic one alright, thanks for the link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭mightyreds

i have to agree with most here that its gone to hell lately ad they will need something big to pull it back..at the moment i'm an average fan i watch the shows read the back stage news but not nearly a big a fan as i was 96 through to even 04-06..i dont believe its better cause we were children i just believe it was plain better! I stuck on wm 17 last week for the watch and i was amazed at how far it has degraded since then austin and the rock was the main event and one part of the match was the rock punching austin and austin falling off the rope and back into another punch fall on the rope to his left and back rinse and repeat through the four ropes nothing crazy but the way they sold themselves once again captivated me i couldnt look away the match was so exciting the crowd was really really up for it too recently on a wwe show you could hear a pin drop when the matches are on i hope vince gets the hint the wwe fans are throwing at him every week and gets it back to what it once was!!

mightyreds wrote: »
    i have to agree with most here that its gone to hell lately ad they will need something big to pull it back..at the moment i'm an average fan i watch the shows read the back stage news but not nearly a big a fan as i was 96 through to even 04-06..i dont believe its better cause we were children i just believe it was plain better! I stuck on wm 17 last week for the watch and i was amazed at how far it has degraded since then austin and the rock was the main event and one part of the match was the rock punching austin and austin falling off the rope and back into another punch fall on the rope to his left and back rinse and repeat through the four ropes nothing crazy but the way they sold themselves once again captivated me i couldnt look away the match was so exciting the crowd was really really up for it too recently on a wwe show you could hear a pin drop when the matches are on i hope vince gets the hint the wwe fans are throwing at him every week and gets it back to what it once was!!

I thought that the Nexus angle was going to recaptivate a lot of people, It was so intense and well booked at times. But it didnt exactly pan out like most people would have hoped

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Gerard.C wrote: »
    I thought that the Nexus angle was going to recaptivate a lot of people, It was so intense and well booked at times. But it didnt exactly pan out like most people would have hoped

That nexus angle (save circa SummerSlam and post-Survivor Series) was the first time i felt like a mark in a while. I was actually really interested in discussing wrestling in terms of kayfabe, something i rarely do as the stories today i find aren't worth discussing as matches are of no consequence ("see you at the next PPV" syndrome)

It is tons more fun to be a mark. That said I think if the internet wasn't around to discuss/vent, a lot of wrestling fans would've just stopped caring and moved on. I don't think i can ever go back to going "dark" on backstage news as i love reading/talking about wrestling so much but i do miss surprises.

I think when people see ratings they might be looking for validation on if their enjoyment of the show is reflected on how many people watched. Of course it isn't, they're just numbers but overall trends are more telling.

Like i couldn't give out about today's product if it got monster ratings and PPV buyrates but obviously it's not so we discuss why not. But things aren't as bad as they might seem on the net; people use it to vent to keep watching. It's cathartic! :D

jaykhunter wrote: »
    That nexus angle (save circa SummerSlam and post-Survivor Series) was the first time i felt like a mark in a while. I was actually really interested in discussing wrestling in terms of kayfabe, something i rarely do as the stories today i find aren't worth discussing as matches are of no consequence ("see you at the next PPV" syndrome)

It is tons more fun to be a mark. That said I think if the internet wasn't around to discuss/vent, a lot of wrestling fans would've just stopped caring and moved on. I don't think i can ever go back to going "dark" on backstage news as i love reading/talking about wrestling so much but i do miss surprises.

I think when people see ratings they might be looking for validation on if their enjoyment of the show is reflected on how many people watched. Of course it isn't, they're just numbers but overall trends are more telling.

Like i couldn't give out about today's product if it got monster ratings and PPV buyrates but obviously it's not so we discuss why not. But things aren't as bad as they might seem on the net; people use it to vent to keep watching. It's cathartic! :D

That is so true, I get some laugh out of it when looking at it through the eyes of a mark. When you think about the likes of Kane and Taker as if the whole thing is real its some ****in craic. Kane like, what a disaster of a yoke. He's just an awful man. You gotta love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭mightyreds

man that nexus story really got off to a great start got me watching again in a big way.. then john cena comes out and beats them all up at once which then went down hill after that they really could of had a big faction and reignited the tag division all in one big swoop got people interested again

p.s reading the storys backstage news is the only thing keeping me going lately the "storylines" are far more entertaining than in the show and the matches lately are terrible except the odd taker at wrestlemania match so they dont really factor

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Gerard.C wrote: »
    I love WWE but I have no time for any of this backstage stuff. Creative Team, Ratings, Stock Holders meetings... whats that got to do with anything? I never understood that really.

I don't mind that stuff it can be fun to be discussed. However what I can't stand reading on the iwc is twits who seem obsessed with the business side and don't actually watch it to be entertained. A great example would be twits who want certain people to be champion because they are some sort of draws, in their opinion.

I mean unless you have stock in the WWE the "drawing power" of wrestlers should be secondary to your genuine opinion of them as a performer.

Thats the great thing about marks they don't get bogged down by ratings and all that jazz.

Advertisement