Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

edimax 3g 6200 conectivity problem

Options
  • 03-05-2011 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi,

i have this router that i use with a 3 mobile broadband dongle. It worked great up until last week. It says that i'm connected on both my fone and my laptop, it's not, the blue lights are flashing on the router and it says all is ok.

please help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 raycass

Hi you should update your firmware, check out this link. Edimax updated just last month.

http://www.edimax.co.uk/en/produce_detail.php?pd_id=299&pl1_id=1&pl2_id=77#03

you will need to reboot after the update. ie tuen off and turn on again:)

hope all goes well let me know ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

Its not a bad router but I find it needs power cycling once a day or it won't reconnect - probably just the dongle that needs to be switched on and off but easier for me to do the whole lot.

I used that update above last myself last week and found it worked straight off (after turning it off then on) then failed a few minutes later with a similar issue to the OP's, reboot and turning on and off didn't help. What I did in the end was reset to factory defaults and start again, its been working fine since.

Note also the new firmware uses the old APN for 3 by default so if using 3 you may want to change the APN from 3ireland.ie to 3internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

yeah i agree with what Will says.. I have one of these and from what I have googled they are known for requiring a power cycle very frequently.. I normally have the USB device hooked up to the router, and if I have serious issues then I try it off the back of the PC directly to make sure the device itself is working.. That would be the first thing to try

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭persie11

Thanks guys,

So I reset the router and went thru the startup wizard but it kept failing to connect for about 30mins until finally it connected but it went to a setting page i hadn't seen 1st time around, asking for a pin, country, ISP provider and that APN that william talked about, it was late so i said i'll tackle it tomorro.

So today it connected perfect, went thru startup wizard; downloaded firmware and all good. I havent reset yet to activate firmware upgrade coz i need to get some work done but i'll do it tomorro. but so far, so good.

As regards the power cycle, if i turn the router off it might not connect for ages so i have to keep turning it on/off until the blue lights come on,is that right or should it come on right away?

thanks again guys

persie11 wrote: »
    Thanks guys,

So I reset the router and went thru the startup wizard but it kept failing to connect for about 30mins until finally it connected but it went to a setting page i hadn't seen 1st time around, asking for a pin, country, ISP provider and that APN that william talked about, it was late so i said i'll tackle it tomorro.

So today it connected perfect, went thru startup wizard; downloaded firmware and all good. I havent reset yet to activate firmware upgrade coz i need to get some work done but i'll do it tomorro. but so far, so good.

As regards the power cycle, if i turn the router off it might not connect for ages so i have to keep turning it on/off until the blue lights come on,is that right or should it come on right away?

thanks again guys

Country, Provider, PIN etc, you don't need any of that just put in the required setup data manually. If you put in a country and provider it does put in a set of working connection setup data for you but you'll notice that while the setup data remains the country and provider info have vanished when you go back to that page again, so you can manually put in whatever you need to. Don't forget you need to apply which reboots the router everytime you make a change - I don't trust the continue button to keep the settings and apply them on the next reboot.

All you need to know for 3 is that the best APN is 3internet, the AT bit is always *99# and you are using 3G (not CDMA) and thats it. In fact it still works with 3 with a totally wrong APN?

If you can't connect then first off reboot from the tools GUI webpage, then check the signal strenght - just to check you have a signal (works for me with 12%), then do power on and off, next try factory restore reset from the GUI webpage and set up the APN, wireless security etc again. Finally you can try a reset using the reset button the back of the box and then set it all up again. I've set up a few of these boxes now and doing a reset of some kind seems to be necessary more often than I'd expect. I start with the reset from the GUI first as my router is ouside about 400m away but if its on a desk next to you then turning it on and off will fix alot of the problems you might encounter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Hi Will,

assuming that you have upgraded to firmware version 2.20 you should be able to get to the following page..

edimaxsettings.jpg

There is a manual button on the 3G/3.5G subsection to connect, but it should connect automatically.. Unfortunately troubleshooting 3G is more difficult than a wired connection. You have to contend with a varying signal, and a newer technology, and the 3G routers are still relatively new as well and not as reliable as wired telephone line routers.... That edimax router is known for being less reliable than it should be, and also for requiring periodic power cycles (as it slows down).

After a power cycle, I normally check the screen below..

edimaxsettings2.jpg

First thing to check after a power cycle is that a) the USB dongle has been detected properly (edimax router has a habit of sometimes not detecting it at all) and b) detect how strong the signal is.. After checking this, then you can move to the connection page above and see if it connects.. it normally gives you back an indiscriminate error if it cannot connect..

But like I said earlier, you need to rule out an issue with the USB dongle itself.. I was having serious problems with my E169G.. The router would connect to the Internet after a power cycle and then die after 5 minutes.. I was sure it was the router, but after connecting the E169G to the PC directly, it turned out the error was with the USB device itself..

btw I think the issue that I mentioned a while back here has been fixed in the newer firmware which afaik error checks and rejects inadmissable characters but I'm not trying as I'm not bricking another one :)

Advertisement