Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Brick an Edimax 3G-6200n in ONE easy step - A WARNING

Options
  • 02-02-2011 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭

I picked up a nice new Edimax 3G-6200n nLite Wireless 3G Broadband Router, more for a test than anything else but I do have a project in mind for it.

Out of box it didn't want to work so did a reset which is holding the reset button at that back of the box in for 20 seconds. After this reset the web interface of the box became available at the std 192.168.2.1 address. So changed all the relevant settings for a 3 connection with an old E220 and it worked fine, rebooted and tried an E180 again all good. From the start I'd notice that by default the wireless security was off and the wireless connection was enabled and thats where things went wrong.

In the wireless settings I opted for WPA2 and used a passphrase that I have used on many occasions for a WPA connection so I already had a note of it. The WPA2 key was something like 1234$%&?? then I hit the Apply button and the sh1t hit the fan. On reboot the box was bricked. I couldn't work out what happend exactly but emailed Edimax's support listing what I'd done and got this responce...
    Hi *****
    Did you say you use the password 4321$%&??
    If so you would brick the units.
    Wpa2 only allow letters and numbers.

Kind regards,

Edimax UK Technical Support

So there you have it how Brick an Edimax 3G-6200n in ONE easy step.

If I get a reply to my email asking why there is no error checking on the input I'll post it. btw Retailer was happy to give me a replacement.

Advertisement