Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathcore GC

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bazzmundo

tang1 wrote: »
    Apologies Bazzmundo, didn't mean to hijack your thread, hope you enjoy Rathcore. As i told you to begin with its a great course that will improve your golf no end.
    No worries! It's disapproving it no end at the moment but I know what you mean. Getting my first ever lesson on Sunday so that might put things right....!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

I'd just like to wiegh in on the hilly-ness of the course, I'd say its more not particulary flat than especially hilly! I'm his brother and it is dis-improving his golf!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

I will officially be a member during the week.

My first club after playing the game for 12 months.

Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bazzmundo

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

OP, how are you getting on after 4 months of being a member? I played it once back in May, and as a beginner I struggled a fair bit on it.
    I live in the local area and will be looking to join one of the three main courses (Rathcore, County Meath or Knightbrook). Have played Knightbrook a few times lately and enjoying the challenge.

So Rathcore, would you recommend?? And why???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭snowy666

So Rathcore, would you recommend?? And why???

FWIW I would go with RC for a home course choice. Whilst they are both excellent courses in their own ways, KB has far more of a 'big' course feel, where you need to be hitting driver off every tee box other than the par 3's, due to it's length and RC is a very varied track.

RC tackles your course management far more. A good example is the risk/reward par 4, 3rd. You can chop the corner (blind) and go for the green or lay up to the corner with a 7 iron. I can't think of any holes on KB where you get any real choice of shot off the tee.

Both courses are kept in very good condition. Basically, if you're a good, long driver of the ball you'll do very well at KB, if you're crisp iron player, RC is more suited. (note: not saying RC is short btw, as it's not. About avg.)

snowy666 wrote: »
    FWIW I would go with RC for a home course choice. Whilst they are both excellent courses in their own ways, KB has far more of a 'big' course feel, where you need to be hitting driver off every tee box other than the par 3's, due to it's length and RC is a very varied track.

RC tackles your course management far more. A good example is the risk/reward par 4, 3rd. You can chop the corner (blind) and go for the green or lay up to the corner with a 7 iron. I can't think of any holes on KB where you get any real choice of shot off the tee.

Both courses are kept in very good condition. Basically, if you're a good, long driver of the ball you'll do very well at KB, if you're crisp iron player, RC is more suited. (note: not saying RC is short btw, as it's not. About avg.)

Thanks for the input there snowy, great help. I played Rathcore once before and booked in for a round tomorrow and will enquire about the membership. I remember that 3rd hole oh so well, think I hit two off the tee into the trees on the left. I'm more of a crisp iron player :o than big hitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭thoscon

Thanks for the input there snowy, great help. I played Rathcore once before and booked in for a round tomorrow and will enquire about the membership. I remember that 3rd hole oh so well, think I hit two off the tee into the trees on the left. I'm more of a crisp iron player :o than big hitter.

Your playing it at the right time its captains prize tmrw course will be in great nick for that..loads of tricky flag positions no doubt !!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭1916

Played it yesterday, first time and impressed. Course in great condition. Some lovely Par 3's

One thing I noticed is that you can hear a lot of chatter from other groups, perhaps because of the tight vicinity of some holes

thoscon wrote: »
    Your playing it at the right time its captains prize tmrw course will be in great nick for that..loads of tricky flag positions no doubt !!

Better be sure not to rip the place up with divots. Great news on the pin positions, will help me with my goal of no more than 2 putts per hole :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement