Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coins & Banknotes Valuation Sticky

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭IamtooGoode

Can anybody help please, is this a coin or a token? Seems to be made from brass and about 2.5cm diameter, any info/comments appreciated, thanks...
    1450441301023.jpg
    1450441378538.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

hi found this out walking my dog seems to be a old 1884 british penny , any value to it i added some pics there , i have it cleaned up now since though ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

damn taught i came across a holy grail lol :D thanks mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭brian_t

pudzey101 wrote: »
    i have it cleaned up now since though ?

As I understand it, cleaning old coins can reduce their value.

• Advertisement

oh no i only wiped it cuz it was all muck and dirt on it from being dug up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 CollectorsShop

How do I sort these messages in reverse chronological order - I can only see old messages

• Registered Users Posts: 7 johnvonp

I have hundreds of pre-decimal coins, both Irish and English. I used irishcoinage.com to go through my Irish coins and found out that only some of them are 'rare' eg. 1939 threepence and the pair of 1966 Pearse coins (probably not even considered rare).

Other than that, most of them are fairly common. However when I add them all up, they have a lot of value, especially all the half crowns and floirins.

I'm just wondering if there is anywhere to sell these coins in bulk, or if it's even possible to sell them at all. Or even if they can be brought to the Central Bank and exchanged for money.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

johnvonp wrote: »
    I have hundreds of pre-decimal coins, both Irish and English. I used irishcoinage.com to go through my Irish coins and found out that only some of them are 'rare' eg. 1939 threepence and the pair of 1966 Pearse coins (probably not even considered rare).

Other than that, most of them are fairly common. However when I add them all up, they have a lot of value, especially all the half crowns and floirins.

I'm just wondering if there is anywhere to sell these coins in bulk, or if it's even possible to sell them at all. Or even if they can be brought to the Central Bank and exchanged for money.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You're up early.

Anyway, the central bank are there all the time to change your money. There is afaik a facility to donate the value to charity should you so wish.

Half crowns or 2 and sixpences as we used to call them or half dollars for the older set, were worth an eight of a pound. So if you have eight of these you can cash them in for €1.26.

Don't know if this helps, you might consider visiting a coin dealer to get some good valuations should that be the case. Otherwise, the online adverts/buy and sell or donedeals of this world facilitate the amateur retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 johnvonp

You're up early.

Anyway, the central bank are there all the time to change your money. There is afaik a facility to donate the value to charity should you so wish.

Half crowns or 2 and sixpences as we used to call them or half dollars for the older set, were worth an eight of a pound. So if you have eight of these you can cash them in for €1.26.

Don't know if this helps, you might consider visiting a coin dealer to get some good valuations should that be the case. Otherwise, the online adverts/buy and sell or donedeals of this world facilitate the amateur retailer.

I see. I might take them to George's Street Arcade to get some evaluated. Still have about a thousand English coins to get through first though!

Thanks for the advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Wottle

Hi all, hoping someone might have info on this coin. I seem to have a couple of coins stashed away but this one stood out, very shiny :)
    Would it be worth much?

Don't even have a clue where I got it. Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Wottle wrote: »
    Hi all, hoping someone might have info on this coin. I seem to have a couple of coins stashed away but this one stood out, very shiny :)
    Would it be worth much?

Don't even have a clue where I got it. Thanks

It's a modern fantasy coin, made in the last 5 or 6 years. Some of these were solid silver and if so worth it's bullion value, if not then worth about a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Wottle

Blade wrote: »
    It's a modern fantasy coin, made in the last 5 or 6 years. Some of these were solid silver and if so worth it's bullion value, if not then worth about a fiver.

Thanks for that.

Knowing my luck it's the latter, how would I find out?
    There appears to be a stamp or marking on the side?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Wottle wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Knowing my luck it's the latter, how would I find out?
    There appears to be a stamp or marking on the side?

Bring it to a jeweler or try with one of those Earth magnets. I don't have mine here but I think if there's a stamp on the side it might well be the silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 declanm42

Have 3 books of Irish coins 1928-1968
    Threepences full set

Sixpences full set

Shillings full set

Farthing full set

Half pennies full set

Pennies full set

Florins full set EXCEPT for the 1943 of which only 25 were minted

Half crowns full set

Just wondering who around is most knowledgeable on these era of coins for grading and valuation

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

declanm42 wrote: »
    Have 3 books of Irish coins 1928-1968
    Threepences full set

Sixpences full set

Shillings full set

Farthing full set

Half pennies full set

Pennies full set

Florins full set EXCEPT for the 1943 of which only 25 were minted

Half crowns full set

Just wondering who around is most knowledgeable on these era of coins for grading and valuation
    I would also be interested in the answer to this question as I also have a full set in the green book folders which where available at the time, I would suspect it's all down to condition, over to you Blade.

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    I would also be interested in the answer to this question as I also have a full set in the green book folders which where available at the time, I would suspect it's all down to condition, over to you Blade.

Exactly, it's all down to condition, so that would be far too time consuming for someone to individually grade and value so many coins. But if you want to post some pictures of the key dates, I'll grade them no problem. Your other option would be to bring them to a coin dealer, but again don't expect them to do all the hard work of grading every single one of them for you.

Exactly, it's all down to condition, so that would be far too time consuming for someone to individually grade and value so many coins. But if you want to post some pictures of the key dates, I'll grade them no problem. Your other option would be to bring them to a coin dealer, but again don't expect them to do all the hard work of grading every single one of them for you.

Won't allow me post a the link for photobucket or put pictures up cause I'm a new user anyway around this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Won't allow me post a the link for photobucket or put pictures up cause I'm a new user anyway around this ?
    Take off the http://www.

Not your ornery onager

1136.photobucket.com/user/Declan_Mccarthy/library/Mobile%20Uploads?page=1&sort=3

• Advertisement

Those are all generally very high grades, especially the important ones. The 1943 half crown is VF+ to XF, the 1937 I reckon VF. The early shillings look close to UNC, each of those shillings from the 1930's could fetch around 100 Euro (not the 1928). That sixpence 1947 is practically UNC too and worth quite a bit. Like I said I won't go through the lot, but if you're planning on selling them you should ask for advice as they are generally of very high quality and not your normal collection.

Those are all generally very high grades, especially the important ones. The 1943 half crown is VF+ to XF, the 1937 I reckon VF. The early shillings look close to UNC, each of those shillings from the 1930's could fetch around 100 Euro (not the 1928). That sixpence 1947 is practically UNC too and worth quite a bit. Like I said I won't go through the lot, but if you're planning on selling them you should ask for advice as they are generally of very high quality and not your normal collection.

What would be the best route to take ? Get the rare ones graded by pcsg or the likes and sell separately or sell as a whole lot somewhere ?

Also if it isn't too much trouble could you look again at the link I put up for photobucket again I added 2 pictures of the 1937 shilling just to get an idea of grade as I saw they can go for a fair bit too . would be greatly appreciated

What would be the best route to take ? Get the rare ones graded by pcsg or the likes and sell separately or sell as a whole lot somewhere ?

Also if it isn't too much trouble could you look again at the link I put up for photobucket again I added 2 pictures of the 1937 shilling just to get an idea of grade as I saw they can go for a fair bit too . would be greatly appreciated

The 1937 shilling is an XF I reckon, worth a fair bit too. Depends how much trouble you want to go through to make as much as possible out of them. You could get the key dates and high grades graded in the UK, a lot of people do that and reckon it pays off. You could sell them individually on ebay as they are. Or you could just bring the lot in to Dublin Coin Auctions and let them sell them, if you don't want any hassle.

The 1937 shilling is an XF I reckon, worth a fair bit too. Depends how much trouble you want to go through to make as much as possible out of them. You could get the key dates and high grades graded in the UK, a lot of people do that and reckon it pays off. You could sell them individually on ebay as they are. Or you could just bring the lot in to Dublin Coin Auctions and let them sell them, if you don't want any hassle.

Nothing to straight forward so 😂😂 I'd say it would be a pretty penny to get all 3 books gradded ! the father worked in the banking sector so he was able ta get a lot of the best stuff for his collections that way. Blade all your advice has been brilliant thank you very much

Nothing to straight forward so 😂😂 I'd say it would be a pretty penny to get all 3 books gradded ! the father worked in the banking sector so he was able ta get a lot of the best stuff for his collections that way. Blade all your advice has been brilliant thank you very much

Well you wouldn't get every coin graded, just the key dates and very high grade ones. Unless you go through the trouble of selling them individually on ebay, I think you'd be better off bringing them to the Dublin Coin Auctions, and letting them do the work. You'll pay fees but you should get a good price for them, the guy there knows his stuff, there'll be reserves as he knows what Irish coins are worth. Google Mike Kelly at Dublin Coin Auctions if you want to go down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Interest replies and beautiful coins, mine are not in high grade condition as those, 1937 1943 half crowns, mine maybe F to VF.

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    Interest replies and beautiful coins, mine are not in high grade condition as those, 1937 1943 half crowns, mine maybe F to VF.

In Declan's case, he's better off selling the high grades individually because they are so valuable. He could then replace them with lower grades and sell the collection.

In Declan's case, he's better off selling the high grades individually because they are so valuable. He could then replace them with lower grades and sell the collection.

Is their still the fair in the imperial in Cork

Is their still the fair in the imperial in Cork

Haven't a clue, I'm in Dublin. I expect a dealer would try to get them as cheap as possible, so probably not the best place to try sell them.

• Advertisement

Haven't a clue, I'm in Dublin. I expect a dealer would try to get them as cheap as possible, so probably not the best place to try sell them.

That's the trouble with that too !!! like I know the collection was used as collateral before on a loan and they were valued at around 10k for that but I'd say it would be hard to find a collector that wants a full collection I'd say

Advertisement