Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skrillex

Options
  • 01-05-2011 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

My friends have told me about this guy.

Love what I've heard. His dubstep is great and I was really impressed with his house stuff.

What do people make of him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Uh Oh.

Run away, FS, run far away from here before you're pilloried by those here less merciful than me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

He's ****ing awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Yeah not a fan
    no doubt you'll love Zedd and Youfeedme too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

I try not to think about him, or his,,, i resent using this word,,,, music.

Heard he had is laptop and backups stole in barcelona, i'm guessing it was music fans
    who proceeded to melt them down like the arnie at the end of terminator 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

He looks like his music.... greasy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Quiggers wrote: »
    I try not to think about him, or his,,, i resent using this word,,,, music.

Heard he had is laptop and backups stole in barcelona, i'm guessing it was music fans
    who proceeded to melt them down like the arnie at the end of terminator 2.

Or it could have been cos he had expensive gear, burglars wanted to sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Impressive sounds and production but no substance under it all. Gets very tiring very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Not into Dubstep in the slightest. But this chap is everywhere. His name just keeps popping up on Twitter, Facebook, Beatport with other DJ's and writers praising him. I can't judge as i'm not a fan of the genre.

But I can say he's a freaky looking chap Haha. I thought it was a girl when I first saw a photo of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭zega

This video is doin the round in the dubstep world at the moment.It's someone taking the piss by posting a "leaked" skrillex/doctor P song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPMGTSZ-g8w

This sums up what a lot of people think his music sounds like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Lord help you is all I'll say... looks like the heavy artillery haven't arrived on this thread yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭zega

Im mainly into dubstep and it's what i collect,i think his dubstep productions are weak at best.But i quite enjoy this skrillex track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzEgrNigZdw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

He actually does need a box on the face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Anima wrote: »
    Impressive sounds and production but no substance under it all. Gets very tiring very fast.

Agree with this.

He seems to just open up the same project file everything and change a couple of notes here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Another Deadmau5 / Beatport product. As such, I instantly hate him and all his fans. Do one OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

In fairness "Slats Slats Slats" is a good track I think, but most of the rest of his stuff is pretty ****ty.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

zega wrote: »
    Im mainly into dubstep and it's what i collect,i think his dubstep productions are weak at best.But i quite enjoy this skrillex track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzEgrNigZdw
    RMD wrote: »
    Another Deadmau5 / Beatport product. As such, I instantly hate him and all his fans. Do one OP.

Jesus that song does sound really really like something Deadmau5 would release.

Do you guys dislike the stuff that gets popular?

I think Deadmau5 is pretty talented and so is Skrillex.

I don't know much about Skrillex's personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

He actually does need a box on the face

Its times like this why the MOD's were so so wrong for ever banning Facekicker

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

flyswatter wrote: »

Deadmau5, while being talented, performed the mother of all sell-outs years ago. Still a talented dude though.

Skrillex is exactly why dubstep should have never been allowed to hit North America.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

jtsuited wrote: »
    Deadmau5, while being talented, performed the mother of all sell-outs years ago. Still a talented dude though.

Skrillex is exactly why dubstep should have never been allowed to hit North America.

No JT, Unfortunatley the mother of all sell outs award goes to,

Dr Dre

When ice cube went solo he was castigated by NWA & labelled,

A house nigga

Seems all has come full circle:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Why ask people want they think of a producer if you are only going to sit there and come up with reasons as to why someone's dislike of his music is not valid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I don't like Skrillex's stuff. Far too busy and cluttered. Rubbish IMO, and Deadmau5 is a little bit too predictable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I wonder does he live in a Scrilla Villa

Is Skrillex up himself then?

I prefer his house stuff to be honest. He does seem to mix it up every few bars. Should someone change the music around that often?

Deadmau5 seems like a decent guy, he makes an effort to interact with fans, through Facebook, Twitter etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Is Skrillex up himself then?

I prefer his house stuff to be honest. He does seem to mix it up every few bars. Should someone change the music around that often?

Deadmau5 seems like a decent guy, he makes an effort to interact with fans, through Facebook, Twitter etc.

How do you mean? He seems like a fairly nice guy.. but that shouldn't really matter anyway.

I liked both deadmau5 and skrillex when I first got into electronic music, but got fairly bored of both of them; so while I don't like a lot of their songs, I'm happy they got me into electronic music.

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    How do you mean? He seems like a fairly nice guy.. but that shouldn't really matter anyway.

I liked both deadmau5 and skrillex when I first got into electronic music, but got fairly bored of both of them; so while I don't like a lot of their songs, I'm happy they got me into electronic music.

Any other recommendations? I don't listen to enough remixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

He makes sh1t music for sh1t people, and gives Dubstep a bad name IMO.

Not that I'd call it Dubstep- more noise than anything else.

Not hugely into Dubstep but these examples are what I'd consider "proper" Dubstep:p

really does tick me off when I say I like Dubstep and people say "oh yeah so you like magnetic man and skrillex and borgore and cnutbeard and analfist yada yada "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I'm not much of a Dubstep fan, but ask a big Dubstep fan their opinion of Skillrex and they'll say he's shíte. Quite like most big house fans will readily say other than Deadmau5's early Prog house work, he's pretty poor. No offense OP, but people who generally think artists like Deadmau5 / Skillrex are the greatest thing to hit the Dance music scene in recent years, generally don't know **** about the dance music industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

RMD wrote: »
    No offense OP, but people who generally think artists like Deadmau5 / Skillrex are the greatest thing to hit the Dance music scene in recent years, generally don't know **** about the dance music industry.

Come on, leave it out with the snobbery. It's why I don't post that often.

I found this guy yesterday whilst researching the lineup for a one day festival in London (L.E.D) headlied by Deadmau5. (I'm not too much into Deadmau5 as he's pretty repetivive and bandwagony but the day should be good). Anyway, Skrillex is complete cheese, but, his productions are good. I'm sure after 1 album he'll flop due to unoriginality though. I have only listened to his 'Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites' EP but it seems to me that he is just copying Boyz Noize, Deadmau5, Dupstep in general, and Alice Deejay (lol the yanks still love that tune) :D

Anyway, I'll be seeing him in a park in London during the day time with a few beers on me, he'll be entertaining for that, but he's not going to change anything in EDM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

ah I don't think it's real snobbery.... Deadmau5 and Skrillex and the like are electronic music for people who don't really listen to electronic music.

In the same way The Stereophonics were a band for people who don't really listen to bands, or the way Slane is a gig for people who don't really go to gigs.

Advertisement