Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 5/10 singers who can't sing

Options
  • 30-04-2011 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Post your list of singers who in your opinion can't really sing.
    Firstly I apologise to any fans of the artists I've listed. Just because they are named here does not mean I don't enjoy their music. I just don't believe they are very talented vocally.
    My list is;

1. Will i am (and the rest of the BEP for this matter)
    2. Jedward (both of them)
    3. Ke$ha
    4. Victoria Beckham
    5. Madonna
    6. Johnny Cash
    7. Bob Dylan
    8. Britney Spears
    9. Matt Cardle
    10. Ronan Keating

You can do 5 or 10, whichever suits. I just did 10 because I can say anything about any of the above 10.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

bob dylan

snoop doggy doggy doggy dogg

most black rappers

most white rappers

justin beeber

noel gallagher

Mariah carey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

karaokeman wrote: »
    Post your list of singers who in your opinion can't really sing.
    Firstly I apologise to any fans of the artists I've listed. Just because they are named here does not mean I don't enjoy their music. I just don't believe they are very talented vocally.
    My list is;

1. Will i am (and the rest of the BEP for this matter)
    2. Jedward (both of them)
    3. Ke$ha
    4. Victoria Beckham
    5. Madonna
    6. Johnny Cash
    7. Bob Dylan
    8. Britney Spears
    9. Matt Cardle
    10. Ronan Keating

You can do 5 or 10, whichever suits. I just did 10 because I can say anything about any of the above 10.

I'd agree with that, but I do think matt cardle can sing. Johnny cash isn't too bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

most black rappers

most white rappers

Rapping isn't singing.
    Mariah carey

Srsly? I think she's way over the top and unnecessary, but she can definitely sing...

My list;
    Wayne Coyne
    Bob Dylan
    Stephin Merrit
    Joe Strummer

OP, do you mean singers that can't sing but we still like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Bob Dylan
    Bono

Nobody else matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

El Pr0n wrote: »
    OP, do you mean singers that can't sing but we still like?

No I mean singers who don't have great vocal ability in your opinion.

You may like or dislike the singer. I only wrote this because I didn't want any fans of my list to be insulted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Embrace and Ash - always sing out of tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

If you think Bob Dylan cannot sing you don't have an ounce of poetry in your soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

duckworth wrote: »
    If you think Bob Dylan cannot sing you don't have an ounce of poetry in your soul.

I think its more to do with vocal ability and sound deliverance as opposed to song meaning, emotions, etc. I think Dylan is an exceptionally gifted artist but I do sort of agree his voice can grate at times. And other times it's 'great', depends on the song :)

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

Ian Brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Bob Dylan
    Bono

Nobody else matters.
    o_O

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Milli Vanilli.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Shane McGowan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Will I Am
    Bob Dylan
    Kurt Cobain
    Tom Waits
    Fergie

...That is all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

ozzy osbourne

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

Clint Eastwood can't sing

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

Hmmm not sure if I agree with Johnny cash..

Definitely agree with Ian Brown...as much as I love him.

Caught that Rhianna one on xfactor one night and was shocked at how bad it was:eek: Cheryl Cole's another one that is really poor.

Think its only when you see them live that you really get an idea of how weak/strong someones voice is, but thankfully most artists I check out are as good, if not better in person than on record!

Edit: oh and just remembered Anthony and the Johnsons..cannot go his voice! Also find that Janice Joplin in her later years grates on my ears...but then again that comes back to delivery vs technique again doesn't it..

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

That chap out of The Script is woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Ellian

duckworth wrote: »

Would have to agree with this - with the caveat that this is an entirely subjective thing but just to take one example - there is a line in "Only A Pawn In Their Game" where Dylan sings "They lowered him down as a king...." and the anger/respect/dignity that he manages to shoe horn in there never fails to give me tingly spine shivers.... I don't think vocal ability is everything in singing.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MsJenjers

Britney Spears
    Kesha
    Cheryl Cole
    Natasha Bedingfield (still like her music though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

bob dylan

snoop doggy doggy doggy dogg

most black rappers

most white rappers

justin beeber

noel gallagher

Mariah carey
    Noel Gallagher is a pretty good singer in terms of hitting and holding notes etc, there's a difference between a good singer and a good voice. Liam gallagher for example isn't a particularly good singer but he has a good voice.
    Neil Young is similar to Noel, but they're excellent songwriters and there's always something refreshing about a song writer singing their own songs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Mark E. Smith
    David Yow
    Steve Albini
    David Thomas
    D. Boon

....and I f**king love them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

Surprised Morrisey hasn't been mentioned yet. And despite the fact that he's the lead singer of my favourite band, I would have to admit that David Byrne can't really sing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Robbie Robertson
    Bob Geldof

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Britney Spears - can actually sing pretty well but chooses not to, which baffles me.

Ke$ha and Cheryl Cole are the other two that come to mind. Janet Jackson voice doesn't really equate to her success either even though I do like it.

I also disagree with the person who said Mariah Carey... I think her voice is extraordinary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Some of my favourite singers of all time can't really sing:

Lou Reed
    Nico (probably could be argued that she could sing well in a low range, just didn't have any high range whatsoever!)
    David Byrne
    Leonard Cohen
    Captain Beefheart (though I read somewhere that he had a five octave vocal range, so he probably could sing properly; he just chose not to! On some songs from Safe As Milk he sounds like he really can sing.)
    Kim Gordon
    Bobby Gillespie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Captain Beefheart (though I read somewhere that he had a five octave vocal range, so he probably could sing properly; he just chose not to! On some songs from Safe As Milk he sounds like he really can sing.)

His voice sounded shot on the last three records, his attempts to scream were rendered squawks, but it worked.

He was some whistler, the end of Harry Irene is a good example.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Re-Tuned

Can't believe someone mentioned Bono as someone who can't sing.
    Are you mad, Bono has an amazing range, listen to some of the high notes he hits, the ending of "With or Without You", "Pride", "Streets", "Vertigo" to name but a few.
    Noel Gallagher is also another very good singer, some people are just idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Mariah carey

Complete lunacy tbh!

Ke$ha plus a thousand - hasn't a note in her head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

TIM WHEELER

Advertisement