Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarantino western - Django Unchained

Options
  • 30-04-2011 1:14pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭

http://collider.com/quentin-tarantino-django-unchained/88262/

It's been known for a while that Tarantino's next film would be some kind of spaghetti western. Now we have the title and (apparently) the first page of the script. Django is obviously a reference to Corbucci's 1966 film. However, there were dozens if not hundreds of imitators and unofficial sequels to that film, so it's a mistake to think of this as a remake. Not least because Tarantino has made it quite clear that he doesn't do remakes, adaptations or co-writers anymore. And Inglourious Basterds had little or nothing to do with the 1978 film of the same name. So the title is mostly likely just a nod to that film.

It seems the script is finished and Franco Nero (the original Django) and Christoph Waltz are attached to star. Can't wait.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I was skeptical that QT could pull off a WW2 picture, but hapilly ate those words when Basterds came out. Plus if he can get another performance like that out of Waltz colour me excited!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hopefully it will be a bit better than Takeshii Miike's Sukiyaki Western Django featuring Mr. Tarantino. Nothing wrong with it, and good fun, but far from the genre masterpiece I expected from such talent!

Hopefully something playful to rank alongside something like The Good, The Bad and The Weird. There's enough serious Westerns out there, bring on a bit of fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I wonder whether the new Django will still be dragging that coffin around ..? :D

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Hopefully it will be a bit better than Takeshii Miike's Sukiyaki Western Django featuring Mr. Tarantino. Nothing wrong with it, and good fun, but far from the genre masterpiece I expected from such talent!

i had to give up watching this as i couldn't understand a thing they said
    they should have left it in Japanese and put subtitles in

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

As long as theres lots of Ennio Morricone scores in it I'll be happy :D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Been meaning to watch Sukiyaki Western Django for a while, it worth watching?

I've been jonesing for a spaghetti western for ages and can't really think of a more perfect director to make one, bring on the inevitable Morricone soundtrack!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, Tarantino needs to hurry up and make this while Morricone is still around to do it. Although didn't Ennio turn him down the last time?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah, Tarantino needs to hurry up and make this while Morricone is still around to do it. Although didn't Ennio turn him down the last time?

I remember reading before Basterds came out that Morricone had agreed to score it, not sure what happened then though, maybe he didn't feel up to it or Tarantino changed his mind? I know they used some of his music in it. I just couldn't see a bona fide film geek like Tarantino making a spaghetti western and not getting Morricone to do it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

I have to say that this is the first Tarantino film I've been excited about in a long time. If it's remotely close to as good as Takeshi Kitano's variation on Zatoichi I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Tarantino has made it quite clear that he doesn't do remakes, adaptations or co-writers anymore.

Was the Jackie Brown really that bad?!? I certainly don't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Was the Jackie Brown really that bad?!? I certainly don't think so.
    Jackie Brown was excellent and probably his best film. But it was based on a book so he couldn't take all the "glory" for himself. It's an ego thing.

Jackie Brown was excellent and probably his best film. But it was based on a book so he couldn't take all the "glory" for himself. It's an ego thing.

I'd imagine that the constant debate regarding who wote what in Pulp Fiction between him and Avery has severly hurt his ego. I enjoy Tarantino's film but find him to be one of the most over rated film makers of all time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Been meaning to watch Sukiyaki Western Django for a while, it worth watching?

Nah, not really worth watching, as said it's only OK and full of bad English. Watch the Good, the Bad and the Weird instead!

Thought this might have been a sequel or somethig to the Miike film, given Tarantino's presence in that. Now we can only hope Tarantino doesn't indulge in his worst excesses!

Nah, not really worth watching, as said it's only OK and full of bad English. Watch the Good, the Bad and the Weird instead!

Seen The Good the Bad and the Weird a few times, bloody great film!

Bad English? I thought it was in Japanese apart from Tarantino's bits, might steer clear so.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Yeah, he's a bit obsessed with the ol' auterism alright. He get's a lot of flak for it but he's not as bad as some of the others. Robert Redford, Kenneth Brannagh and Lars Von Trier all come to mind.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Seen The Good the Bad and the Weird a few times, bloody great film!

Bad English? I thought it was in Japanese apart from Tarantino's bits, might steer clear so.

Nope, all English, bizarrely - one stylistic trick that certainly doesn't work. The whole thing plays out like a less assured version of A Fistful of Dollars - and speaking of that, check out Yojimbo (which AFOD is based on) and Sanjuro for the definitive Eastern Westerns!

Actually, thinking about it, it's surprising how many Asian Westerns there are :pac:

Nope, all English, bizarrely - one stylistic trick that certainly doesn't work. The whole thing plays out like a less assured version of A Fistful of Dollars - and speaking of that, check out Yojimbo (which AFOD is based on) and Sanjuro for the definitive Eastern Westerns!

Actually, thinking about it, it's surprising how many Asian Westerns there are :pac:

Seen Yojimbo a few times! Not got round to watching Sanjuro yet. Toshiro Mifune is my desktop wallpaper at the moment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MrSir

Sounds good. I expect the whole script will be online before long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I didnt know Sally Menke died in sept last year! Wonder will it have an effect on this movie

http://www.slashfilm.com/sally-menke-quentin-tarantinos-longtime-editor-has-died-at-56/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Im gonna remain skeptical about this project until i see a good trailer or something. Tarantino irritates me. He has some classics alright but Death Proof was awful and barring a few scenes (Including anything with Waltz) i thought basterds was rubbish.

I hope this is good though, i do like westerns.

MrSir wrote: »

Well that sounds interesting, Django is going to be
    black
    and I'm stoked to see Waltz in that role, nice to see
    he's not been cast as a villain again!

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Im gonna remain skeptical about this project until i see a good trailer or something. Tarantino irritates me. He has some classics alright but Death Proof was awful and barring a few scenes (Including anything with Waltz) i thought basterds was rubbish.

I hope this is good though, i do like westerns.

I really think the potential is there for him to knock this one out of the park, he's obviously been itching to make a western considering the tone of parts of both Inglorious Basterds and Kill Bill(particularly Vol 2). This is up there with The Dark Knight Rises in terms of anticipation for me.

Early Casting rumour for the title role in this, apparently QT wants Will Smith. Not an actor I'd expect to see in a film like this, could be a great choice imho, although part of me would like to see someone like Michael Jai White get the role :)

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49548

I've been trying to sell a western script for the past two years which is strangely similiar to Tarantino's.

"Set during the latter days of the civil war, it's starts with the execution of a small southern land owner who helped run slaves through the underground railroad. The free slave who worked the land with him escapes the town and tracks down his friends brother who is a bounty hunter and together they return to seek revenge and rescue his brothers wife now being held prisoner by the outher General behind her husbands execution and the biggest land owner in the region".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

who's your prediction for the bad guy ?

knowing Tarintino it will probably be an old former western star

ricero wrote: »
    who's your prediction for the bad guy ?

knowing Tarintino it will probably be an old former western star

Fraco Nero is all ready suposedly attached so I'd imagine that either he's the baddie or else he mentors our heros in some regard, maybe gives them a gatling gun encased in a coffin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Will Smith is Quentin Tarantino's first choice for the lead in his latest project "Django Unchained," the director's new screenplay that's been making the Hollywood rounds over the past week.
    Tarantino's "Inglourious Basterds" star Christoph Waltz is attached to play Dr. King Schultz, one of the pic's two leads. While the title role has yet to be cast, Tarantino wrote the script with Smith in mind, and multiple sources tell Variety that he's already been informally offered the role.

Story centers on a slave-turned-bounty hunter on a mission to rescue his wife Broomhilda from her sadistic slavemaster.

Insiders say Smith would be willing to give up his usual $20 million salary for the chance to tackle different, more controversial material -- just as Brad Pitt did to star in "Basterds." And Smith has long been seeking edgier roles.

Tarantino is said to have reached out to Pitt for one of the numerous juicy supporting roles in "Django," but the actor has decided not to pursue the project at this time.

Tarantino has also been looking to work with Leonardo DiCaprio. Several years ago, Variety reported that Tarantino was courting DiCaprio for the villainous role of Hans Landa in "Basterds," (July 15, 2008), which ultimately went to Waltz. Likewise, Tarantino is believed to have written the role of Dr. Schultz for DiCaprio, but when he passed, it was modified for Waltz.

Tarantino is also seeking a reunion with Samuel L. Jackson, who is being courted for the role of Stephen, the main servant to the chief antagonist in the Southern-flavored western.

While "Django Unchained" does not yet have a distributor, Harvey Weinstein has handled distribution for all of Tarantino's movies. Perhaps coincidentally, Weinstein paid a visit Friday at CAA, which reps Smith.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118036551

Samuel L and Smith possibly playing slaves in a Tarantino film? My interest has been heightened. ;) DiCaprio seems to be avoiding Tarantino like the plague for some reason.

As expected, the script has leaked online. I read a bit of it last night. Pretty good so far.

Smith is good casting imo. He's an excellent actor, although you wouldn't think it going by his recent films.

As expected, the script has leaked online. I read a bit of it last night. Pretty good so far.

Smith is good casting imo. He's an excellent actor, although you wouldn't think it going by his recent films.

Last time Smith tested himself was in Ali, be nice to see him try something different as on recent form it seems that he's slipping into the Denzel Washington school of acting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,269 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

No role for Uma Thurman :p

Advertisement