Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visitors parking in member's car park spaces

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mr.mickels

If a club is open for business with guests they should make them feel welcome, like any other business in the real world. And I have played quite a few courses and don't recall a visitors parking area, only designated spaces for the club officials. This members/visitors bar is a load of crap too for same reason as above.
    However I do recall playing in many courses around London when I used play those events, and many of them had the "no changing shoes in the car park" rule, I recall the first time I arrived at a fairly swish club for an event early morning, and threw down my shoes to put them on but my playing partner quickly picked them up and told me the rules, I thought it was very ott but I could understand the reasoning behind it. I played when ettiquite was adhered to alot more than today, and I value the ettiquette of the game but I don't think this changing shoes makes any difference, its not the same as changing trousers in the car park. Adhering to ettiquete out of politeness and respect for fellow players is good and should be observed more today, but this designated visitors spaces is just snobbish nonsense and irrellevant to enjoying golf, does it really matter what side of the car park anyone puts their car???
    Assuming visitors are paying perhaps the clubs should take the opposite attitude and reserve the best places for them like many private sector businesses do, would certainly be a welcome change and would be appreciated by the visitors spending their cash in your club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

rafared wrote: »
    Well when he comes back he has some serious competition for the troll of the year award this year.

In fairness to conno, ya get a laugh at reading some of his posts.

This one is an out and out troll altogether achieving the reactions he wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

Again, no more than the 'Cursing on the Golf Course' thread earlier in the week, this one is going nowhere.

Its a wind up lads and there are quite a few of you taking the bait.

Oh mother of God give me strength...............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

This to**er can only be a member of Royal Dublin or Portmarnock, so far up their own h**es

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

The problem has got out of control lately and is a problem in many cubs. Give the op a break. I guess if you are one of those visitors, then you dont really understand the problem. For me though, its not so much that visitors never parked in the members area, but the type of person (and their vehicle, or 'van' even) now doing so would never have been seen near our clubs until about 10 years ago. When it was people like us, who knew the score we probably didnt mind, or maybe even notice it. The recession will probably help restore the naturally order in golf clubs and some of these celtic tiger induced issues we have to contend with will abate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Sandwlch wrote: »
    OP is spot on. Its the biggest problem in golf today, and the reason I quit the game.

Weird cos thats one of the reasons why I dont play

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

G1032 wrote: »
    Again, no more than the 'Cursing on the Golf Course' thread earlier in the week, this one is going nowhere.

Its a wind up lads and there are quite a few of you taking the bait.

Oh mother of God give me strength...............

This must be the easiest fishing pond on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I used own a VW Golf.....an ungodly inconsiderate piece of ****e..burning oil,breaking down..etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Guys this a complete wind-up. The OP has put up some controversial nonsense and waited for some anger. In fairness I think most have just laughed it off.

He hasn't replied yet which kinda proves he's on a WU but hopefully he comes back to enlighten us some more.

He's a funny little lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mr.mickels

Almaviva wrote: »
    The problem has got out of control lately and is a problem in many cubs
    (and their vehicle, or 'van' even)

Out of control? Visitors parking their car? I would have thought any club would be delighted to have visitors in the current financial climate, and its worth bearing in mind that visitors are contributing the running costs of the club. Would be better if you made them more welcome instead of being snooty, and if your club doesn't want visitors then why take their money? Or does your club only want quiet golfers who walk to the course and will stay out of the club house, which would leave him in a difficulty to know where he could put on his shoes.
    And should golfers who drive vans be excluded from paying their money to play in your club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

What club are you in OP??

I only ask so i can steer well clear if all members are as welcoming as you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

time to ignore all posts by kevin99,at least Conna's posts are a bit funny,this chap is a total troll and should be banned imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

heavyballs wrote: »
    time to ignore all posts by kevin99,at least Conna's posts are a bit funny,this chap is a total troll and should be banned imo

Worst thing is he hasn't come back to explain himself.

Should close this thread as it's just an annoyance now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Almaviva wrote: »
    The problem has got out of control lately and is a problem in many cubs. Give the op a break. I guess if you are one of those visitors, then you dont really understand the problem. For me though, its not so much that visitors never parked in the members area, but the type of person (and their vehicle, or 'van' even) now doing so would never have been seen near our clubs until about 10 years ago. When it was people like us, who knew the score we probably didnt mind, or maybe even notice it. The recession will probably help restore the naturally order in golf clubs and some of these celtic tiger induced issues we have to contend with will abate.

Restore the natural order, we don't want the plebs coming to our club in their vans.

Imagine, a van :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Fore Iron

To the OP and a few others here it seems.

You wonder about "problems" such as these in the game of golf, and I assume you all sip your brandys at the end of your long day which you spent at the club rather than have to endure the pain of being at home with your family and tut tut at the common peasants who lately are frequenting your club (and truth be told probably keeping it afloat) and ask will someone please think of the members children.

I feel golf is constantly suffering from disrespectful and selfish behaviour both on and off the course, but people like you - pompous, arrogant, egotistical, utterly affected and conceited - make this game almost unbearable at times.

You need to face up to your apparent inferiority issues and work out why you need designated members parking spaces, ridiculous shoe donning rules and any other pathetic forms of etiquette you prefer to make you feel like a worthwhile and individual human being.

Seriously, it is time to get a life or take up another sport. How about solitaire? It's a game for one. Should suit your personality perfectly....

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

heavyballs wrote: »
    Just back online now... your wish is about to come true. Pointless troll is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

Fore Iron wrote: »
    To the OP and a few others here it seems.

You wonder about "problems" such as these in the game of golf, and I assume you all sip your brandys at the end of your long day which you spent at the club rather than have to endure the pain of being at home with your family and tut tut at the common peasants who lately are frequenting your club (and truth be told probably keeping it afloat) and ask will someone please think of the members children.

I feel golf is constantly suffering from disrespectful and selfish behaviour both on and off the course, but people like you - pompous, arrogant, egotistical, utterly affected and conceited - make this game almost unbearable at times.

You need to face up to your apparent inferiority issues and work out why you need designated members parking spaces, ridiculous shoe donning rules and any other pathetic forms of etiquette you prefer to make you feel like a worthwhile and individual human being.

Seriously, it is time to get a life or take up another sport. How about solitaire? It's a game for one. Should suit your personality perfectly....

I take it you're not scared of heights then - because that's a very high horse you've just posted from...

I am actually baffled that you can even take the OP seriously and then even have a go at those who did recognize the clear wind up.

I imagine you may have had that particular rant ready to go for some time - but please - next time it might be a good idea to at least try to grasp the tone of the thread before you launch into another sermon.

It's obvious that the OP is a troll (and a bad one at that) - yet you and a couple of others just took the bait and have now probably given him a good laugh by responding like you did.

The OP doesn't even try to disguise his antics and in my opinion is a fool - at least Conno's posts can be amusing at times..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

While the OP is a troll and his remarks are amazingly off the wall it was good to see everyone in the boards golf community out in force saying a collective no pompous bull****.

Hopefully this thread will die and we can get back to arguing over the fact that i can hit my PW 250 yards ;) (Joking)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well now i played golf today and parked where i liked in the carpark. I changed my shoes at the back of the car and i got plenty of "how are you" greetings from the members and non members alike. Nothing but courtesy and good manners and all because the vast majority of people who play golf are not like the OP.
    Thank God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Fore Iron

I take it you're not scared of heights then - because that's a very high horse you've just posted from...

I am actually baffled that you can even take the OP seriously and then even have a go at those who did recognize the clear wind up.

I imagine you may have had that particular rant ready to go for some time - but please - next time it might be a good idea to at least try to grasp the tone of the thread before you launch into another sermon.

It's obvious that the OP is a troll (and a bad one at that) - yet you and a couple of others just took the bait and have now probably given him a good laugh by responding like you did.

The OP doesn't even try to disguise his antics and in my opinion is a fool - at least Conno's posts can be amusing at times..

Point taken. Troll lesson learned. Not something I've given much thought to I must say. In my experience, there are plenty of real life people out there who actually think in very similar ways.

Post was written immediately after reading the OP. I'll takes a few breaths and wnd the neck in first in future.

I'll keep myself quiter in future too....Hook pulled out of my mouth.

Dammit! Another 300 key strokes for no good reason!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johntommy

Next thing you will see is the nasty visitors urinating in the members toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

please close this thread
    it was a little funny......its now a tedious piece of crap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

kevin99 wrote: »
    May I ask visitors to private golf clubs to park in the designated visitors area and NOT in the member's car park.
    This situation has got out of hand in my own golf club. Indeed, we now have to pay a car park attendant to ensure visitors do not park in our spaces.
    I refer particularly to people who may not be aware of the golf etiquette.
    Secondly, visitors should realise that they are not supposed to change into their shoes in the car park, rather they should use the visitors' changing rooms.
    After their game of golf they should retire to the public bar of the club and NOT the member's bar.
    Fcuk me....people have little to worry themselves about. How anal does that post sound.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

not yet wrote: »
    Fcuk me....people have little to worry themselves about. How anal does that post sound.

Je...sus wept!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement