Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie tank!

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Looks grand Degsy.

Have you decided what fish you're putting in it?

If you need any advice setting it up let me know. I'll help if I can.

No idea tbh..thought i'd never get water in the tank!

Have been to Newlands and Petmania so i'm still wondering whether to bother with oscars at all.

Are you in the trade?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

No not in the trade. Ive been keeping fish for years though. I have a small community tank now with about ten small fish in it. At one stage several years ago I had tanks all over the house and it took alot of time and money to keep them all going.

The hobby is very addictive and it's very easy to keep spending the cash on it.

I'm adamant now that I'm not going to expand, although thinking about the oscars has the old fire burning again.

The best place I found for fish is aqua village in blessington. The quality of the fish is second to none albeit the fella who owns it is an ignorant bollox, well worth the trip.

The best place I found for fish is aqua village in blessington. The quality of the fish is second to none albeit the fella who owns it is an ignorant bollox, well worth the trip.

Funny that..i was in a petshop in Finglas and another in Parnell St asking about stuff for my pond and i found both of the people in the shops to be ignorant bollixes..the bloke in finglas particulary..there must be something in the water :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Degsy wrote: »
    Funny that..i was in a petshop in Finglas and another in Parnell St asking about stuff for my pond and i found both of the people in the shops to be ignorant bollixes..the bloke in finglas particulary..there must be something in the water :p

If the one in Finglas is the one I think you're talking about (not the new one) then stay well, well away...

January wrote: »
    If the one in Finglas is the one I think you're talking about (not the new one) then stay well, well away...

Under the bridge? Whats the story?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

there are trolls there

godtabh wrote: »
    there are trolls there

How big of a tank should i get for them? :)

Anyhoo..i decided in the end to get two small oscars and a pleco.

The oscars seem to be settling in nicely and are voracious feeders.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Anyhoo..i decided in the end to get two small oscars and a pleco.

The oscars seem to be settling in nicely and are voracious feeders.

Have you any pictures of them Degsy, oscars are lovely fish.

I'd love to see the pics too Degsy although fish are one of the hardest things to photograph. Good choice of fish.

• Advertisement

okies

159728.jpg

159729.jpg

Cool. I'm jealous as hell, I'd love an Oscar again (or two). You won't regret getting them and boy do they grow fast.

You should put in a piece if cumcumber for the pleco, they love it. You'll have to weigh it down with something as it will float. Use an elastic band wrapped around a stone, that's what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

hes a ****ing prick. :mad:
    maxizoo beside tesco clearwater have a good fish section and lovely helpful staff.

hes a ****ing prick. :mad:

I figured that..but whats his problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

I figured that..but whats his problem?
    i have no idea. his shop is in bits anyway. its a kip. i'd love to wreck it on him :D

Now that i have teh tank working well done anybody have anny suggestions for lighting it?

It comes with a space in the lid for what looks like a big flourescent tube but i heard you can get submersible lights which are better...anybody know about this stuff?

I never seen underwater lights in an aquarium. I would get two flourescent tubes and mount them in the lid. If you have plants get a grow light and one other type, I used to get a few different types of bulbs and I mixed and matched until i found the colour I was happy with.

I had some moonlight LED lights at one stage that looked cool. I had them on a separate timer to come on for an hour after the normal lights went out.

Moonlight022.jpg

I noticed the inside of the lid gets wet with condensation..would it be safe to mount a light tube there?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I noticed the inside of the lid gets wet with condensation..would it be safe to mount a light tube there?

yeah it's fine, they should be a sealed unit with rubber mountings for the bulb itself. And the bulb is hot enough to stay dry despite any moisture on the lid.

yeah it's fine, they should be a sealed unit with rubber mountings for the bulb itself. And the bulb is hot enough to stay dry despite any moisture on the lid.

+1

Get a couple of reflectors too, makes all the difference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement