Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6÷2(1+2)=?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Chemistry Ftw

Yahew wrote: »
    So your first argument was that your calculator was correct, and now that you are shown a calculator with a different answer we are back to 5th class maths.

I think we've all moved on from 5th class maths in this forum.
    Nope, my calculator gave me 1 as the answer so it seems that different calculators give different answers or people just arn't including the brackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

The reason for getting different answers on different calculators/programs is that they have different ways of dealing with the "implied multiplication" which some programs are made to take as a precedent over other multiplication, which is where the ambiguity comes in (i.e. the multiplication between the 2 and the bracketed part being higher than regular multiplication). Of course, this equation is not in standardized non-ambiguous notation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Its 1, when I saw it first I thought 9 too, but when I put some effort into it I got one.

Also Sharp El-531RH says 1 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭aas

kona wrote: »
    Its 1, when I saw it first I thought 9 too, but when I put some effort into it I got one.

Also Sharp El-531RH says 1 too.

Thanks for clearing that up for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

It's 1, brackets always first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I go for a game of football and I come back to this rubbish *waves bye to thread*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement