Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating General Discussion

• 25-04-2011 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭

Well, the thread on it here was closed awhile ago as it wasn't a general discussion thread, but had been turned into one, so was closed for being 'off-topic.' The one in tGC just got closed because of a bit of a tiff. Thing is, these threads were pretty active/popular, and I think it's quite sad they've been closed.

So, I'd like to ask the mods if we can keep this as a kind of megathread for general online dating discussion - tips on profiles, safety, discussion of different types of dating sites, and general sharing about successes/horror stories. I believe there's a genuine demand for it.

If this is not possible, is there anywhere else on boards anyone can suggest for this thread? I mean, a lot of people use online dating sites and it's nice to have a place to chat about it.

What do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

liah wrote: »
    Well, the thread on it here was closed awhile ago as it wasn't a general discussion thread, but had been turned into one, so was closed for being 'off-topic.' The one in tGC just got closed because of a bit of a tiff. Thing is, these threads were pretty active/popular, and I think it's quite sad they've been closed.

So, I'd like to ask the mods if we can keep this as a kind of megathread for general online dating discussion - tips on profiles, safety, discussion of different types of dating sites, and general sharing about successes/horror stories. I believe there's a genuine demand for it.

If this is not possible, is there anywhere else on boards anyone can suggest for this thread? I mean, a lot of people use online dating sites and it's nice to have a place to chat about it.

What do you think?

I was just going to start a thread about this in Feedback!:)

In all fairness to the mods on the LL they really did try and think of a place to move the online dating thread, but there doesnt seem to be anyplace on Boards it really fits.
    Its not really a LL topic,maybe there needs to be a new forum for online dating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

It worked fine here in tLL from what I saw, it's just the original topic wasn't a General Discussion topic but rather a personal topic, from what I remember the only reason it was closed was for going off-topic rather than any real legitimate reason for not having one at all. I could be wrong though.

I see no reason why it can't be here, tbh. We have loads of sharing/helping/advice/community threads in tLL - why can't we have the same thing for online dating? It's a technological age, an awful lot of people are using dating sites. Why not give them somewhere to go?

It's not like the predecessor threads turned into pickup threads or anything - they were just genuine discussion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

It's not like the predecessor threads turned into pickup threads or anything - they were just genuine discussion.

I'm going to beg to differ on that one .... just because we deleted stuff and it wasn't visible doesn't mean it didn't happen!

We've had several attempts at people posting dating profiles and using the dating thread as an excuse as to why it was permissible to post seeking a relationship in the forum.

We've worked hard to get the forum away from the FlirtFest / Come Here for Chicks reputation, so threads like this don't do it any favours.

Also, a lot of people posted in the thread seeking advice on how best to phrase their profiles to attract women, again that's not what this forum is here for.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I agree it's a popular subject and I'd be cool with it as a thread if it stayed as a general thread, but as SF has pointed out it tends to drift from that pretty quickly and as she said there's much ye don't see. The tips on profiles would be a magnet to blokes coming in.

Then it's a shame those posters had to go and ruin it for the rest of us, I liked those threads :( But if it's too much of a hassle to moderate for the flirty crap I totally get it.

So is there really nowhere on boards to discuss this kinda thing?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm sure a discussion is doable here L. Just any flirting guff, general chat or driveby eejits with external nads looking for "de buuurdz angle" would be ruthlessly excised.

Then it's a shame those posters had to go and ruin it for the rest of us, I liked those threads :(

So is there really nowhere on boards to discuss this kinda thing?

Yeah I know it sucks. It doesnt really warrant a whole forum, but is a real popular discussion point. A discussion more suited to feeback methinks.....

panda100 wrote: »
    Yeah I know it sucks. It doesnt really warrant a whole forum, but is a real popular discussion point. A discussion more suited to feeback methinks.....

I dunno how much that would help. I don't think there's any forums at all where it could be suited, and they're not going to make a new one. Maybe a subforum somewhere though.. hm.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Leave it with us, we'll have a think and a chat about it.

In fairness they'll have a think, as usual I'll be in the corner dribbling on myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,695 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I like the general discussion aspect of these threads.
    Perhaps a mod warning at the very beginning with a "no advice about my profile" type posts are allowed could be put in order to eliminate that kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

It's too significant a topic for too many people, in the times we live in, for it not to be discussable. There must be a way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Straight talking-MagneticImpulse ruined that thread in GCb, made it all about her, and her mad nuerosis. Shame. Not fair that such a popular thread is closed down just because a mod cannot reign in megalamaniac like her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Darlughda infracted.

As per the forum charter, throwing petty insults at other posters is not permitted and neither does this forum exist to give a platform from which to deride the moderators of other forums - there is clear Boards protocol to follow with regards to any moderator issue you have.

Please take the time to read the charter before posting in the Ladies Lounge again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'm sure a discussion is doable here L. Just any flirting guff, general chat or driveby eejits with external nads looking for "de buuurdz angle" would be ruthlessly excised.

:pac: :pac:

I'm robbing this:)

papagormo wrote: »
    I like the general discussion aspect of these threads.
    Perhaps a mod warning at the very beginning with a "no advice about my profile" type posts are allowed could be put in order to eliminate that kind of stuff.

But people should be able to come on and get advice about their profiles. There was many people on the GC thread seeking advice about how to write a message properly etc and I think this should be allowed.

I'd be worried that If a thread was started on here , that it would be so heavily monitored all the general chit chat would be removed, and it would just be about safety and security, which just replays into the stereotype that online dating is full of freaks and wierdo's.
    I think because of the ratio of men to women on this site, that its better having a thread on online dating in the Gentlemans club, or maybe as a forum added on to the the GC?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think if you want advice on your profile a few people could say "feel free to PM me if you want advice on a profile" and then we won't need to clutter up the thread beyond that. I don't think profile links should be published either way, so I think this would solve both problems.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I know there were a few ladies that posted in the GC looking for opinions on certain aspects of their profile whether it should be included or not, or how it would be viewed by guys. The most recent one was with regards to a very sporty girl and how they are perceived by guys. It did end up being a discussion point, but by no means turned into a cattle-mart type affair either.

I know its a fine line, but this is very hot topic these days.
    Bluewolfs suggesting of taking any personal advice on a specific profile to pm is a good one too.

I think it's good to get discussion and feedback from both genders over a broad age range :D

panda100 wrote: »
    I'd be worried that If a thread was started on here , that it would be so heavily monitored all the general chit chat would be removed, and it would just be about safety and security, which just replays into the stereotype that online dating is full of freaks and wierdo's.
    No P the problem is the get your flirt on/shake your ass at the men/women posts, or it becomes a two horse race. It's why the off topic thread was both a pain in the arse to mod, to read and a barrier to joining in and often why threads on this subject go arseways.

I agree it's an important subject for discussion. I also agree its not full of freaks or weirdos, well no more than the average cattle market of a saturday night. On reflection I'd say the thread would need input on profiles as that's an important part of the whole deal.

Could we not just put something in the title in brackets like, "Flirters will be banned," and then if they still do it despite that, ban them for a day so they get the hint?

No worries and hopefully no moanfests/helpdesk threads from people pissed off they were called out on shaking their arse feathers at the men/womenfolk.

I'll start the thread now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

*complains for controversy*

Ok folks thread started. May god bless her and all who sail in her...