Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screwed for Science!

Options
  • 24-04-2011 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hey there, As you can tell by the title I am screwed for science!

Please don't lecture me about just simply studying, I do and I try hard to concentrate but nothing sticks! Our teacher is rubbish and grinds aren't an option as they are too expensive. Any advice would be well appreciated!

Also any reccomendations on study guides? I have revise wise but find what i learn from the chapters isn't easy to apply to past exam questions!

P.s to other students also in my situation, my brother who did the J.C last year , has an excellent teacher who gave an outline on what might come up for 2010. 75% of the predictions did! So as soon as she draws one up for 2011 I will share on here :)

MANY MANY thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Exam questions. Do every single one and mark it against the marking scheme. Its the only way to study for anything and know your definitions word for word from the book, not in your own language.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Don't worry too much about it, I take it that you're not doing sciences for the leaving cert then? Well then, you're probably just looking to pass. I don't know really, unless you have a natural ability, all that's left to do is just rote learn. Read, take notes, read over your notes, try to recall the information. That way of learning is horribly dull, but if you have no interest there's not that much else you can do. And yeah, if you want to get the predictions and focus on those areas, do, you'll more than likely get by fine. Science isn't really a good exam to rely on predictions though, as almost everything comes up in some shape or form. It'd be good to have an idea of what experiments are likely to come up, but the fact is, any of them could come up, and there's a lot of experiments. The only thing I could guess is that acids and bases, microbiology and friction probably won't come up seeing as two out of the three were covered comprehensively by students in investigations, so you could probably leave out those chapters at any rate, although nothing is definite.

If you need any more help, let me know. I really like science and I'd be happy to help anyone who needed it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

For Science definitions are of central importance. Learn a few everyday and keep revising them. To help make you remember things make out anagrams e.g stages in water treatment: Silly Sean Follows Chelsea Football (Screening, Settling, Filtration, Chlorination, Fluoridation) or conditions needed for germination is WOW (Water, Oxygen, Warmth) or types of pollination is SAWW (self, animal, wind, water) or in test for protein Protein Present=Purple (PP) or Fertilisation in the Fallopian tube (FF) or Phloem (sounds like Floem) transports Food (FF) or in a titration (Acid in Attic, Base in Basement) etc. etc. For all the calculations in Physics learn memory triangles (I can't draw them here but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about) e.g Distance Speed Time (Dad's Silly Triangle), or Density Mass Flotation (My Dog Vinny) or Force Pressure Area (Fat People Are ..(under pressure)) or Change in speed Acceleration Time (CAT) or Work Force Distance (Work For a Day) or V, I, R (in electricity) is Very Important Rule etc. etc. Some of those aren't great but you get the picture.... :):):)
    As others before me have said keep doing exam papers, correct them w/marking scheme and then study out of them. Don't focus too much on the main topics examined last year!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Basically for science all you need to do is exam papers, definitions, and experiments. If you know them you can definitely get a B or an A. I got an A and all I did was learn off any definitions in the book, then I learned off the mandatory experiments and then I did every question in the exam papers and learned the answers! I found that EXAM PAPERS were the only real way to study for JC science -- everything is repeated every couple of years so if you do what I told you, the science exam will be of second nature to you! Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

I think Science is easy to study for. All you have to do is learn it. You don't really have to understand a lot of it, but it definitely helps. I think it is fairly straightforward if you just sit down and learn it.

I've just been studying the Biology section for the last few days and it's going good. Just finished off Circulation -- a chapter I had been avoiding as I have had no clue about it. Now, I'm fairly confident [Body -> Vena Cave -> Right Atrium -> Right Ventricle -> Pulmonary Artery -> Lunga -> Pulmonary Vein -> Left Atrium -> Left Ventricle -> Aorta -> Body.] Yeah, I learned all that in five or ten minutes. Really pleased, actually. :pac:

Anyway, go through your exam papers and see which questions you can't answer. Find a question you can't answer, go study that section. When you can answer all the questions in the exam papers, you should be sorted. Learn the experiments too -- there are a lot of them, but make sure you have a good idea of them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 FunkyOxygen

Thank you so much to everyone who replied! And geo they will help me immensly so cheers!

While i'm hoping to try and work hard for it I know i'm only capable of a C in science and at the moment that's even looking like a long shot! But hopefully with all of your advice I can achieve it :)

Thanks once again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Doublechinlolz

Jesus funky oxygen you must be stressin out big time youve put up like 5 threads :o But yeah, basically just the definitions and experiments, thasts what i do :) And please do put up them predictions they will save my life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 FunkyOxygen

Hahha yeah i am! Well a bit of that and the fact that i've just got interested in boards so i figure why not post my queries while I remember them!

And sure I will have them up a.s.a.p :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Chuckie!

I have a crappy teacher too. I thought science was really hard and i had really just given up until my friends older sister offered to give me a hand. She didnt want any money but my mam insisted. My point is that even if you just get some one to sit down and talk you through it, it really helps. Even if it is one of your friends who understands it. It doesnt have to cost a fortune.

Other than that, as everyone else has said, your exam papers are your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 maeveveam

Thank you so much for this thread its so helpful im actually reaally worried bout science but im goin to do what ye say and hopefully ill be ok :)
    my teacher is so bad hes scared of electricity so he doesnt do it with us :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

I think you need to calm the baps. Presumably you have your Practical Experiment & Coursework Experiment Write Ups submitted, you've 35% of the Exam done. If you reckon you completed them diligently, and made a good Honours student level attempt, you can suppose that you've 25-30% of them marks in the bag. So you're looking to get up on 20% of you're written exam correct to ensure a Pass. I found myself in your predicament last year, and I took remedial action. Cut my losses with the chemistry section, no interest & couldn't grasp it. So I took the initiative to study the easiest 75% of the Biology section and choose the Physics chapters I liked & studied them. The D I was hoping for to ensure I passed evolved into a B by September when I got my results packet. The Chemistry section of my written Paper was hit & miss, I just ensured I left no blanks. Some may say my actions were foolish, it's what I call exam skill, and when it comes down to it.. You've but 2 and a half hours to make your mark. Do the maths. Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

do every exam paper. when your finish do them again
    f*** revise wise
    you can get the marking schem from past paper here
    http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=en&sc=ep
    with the marking schmes you will see how exammers correct past papers.
    you can also download past papers themself if you didnt alreddy buy them

for maths i ran out of exam papers so i went on to mocks
    i think you can buy mock paper for €1 or 2
    but unfortunately i dont know where

bpb101 wrote: »
    for maths i ran out of exam papers so i went on to mocks
    i think you can buy mock paper for €1 or 2
    but unfortunately i dont know where

The EDCO Maths exam papers have a good few sample papers as well, so that should be more than enough given that there's only a few weeks left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

edco sample papers for maths were s*** they were just the same as the department with angles changed . i could spot them from what year they were taken

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

For Science, exam papers is the way to go. Science is so repetitious so go through maybe 5 or 6 years and you will probably covered about 2/3 the paper you will get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭P H A 7V T O M

I always thought the real pain in the arse aspect of science exams was the questions where they asked you to, say, write out an experiment and draw a diagram to show how to prepare a sample of Carbon Dioxide.... I always get mixed up with those ones. Wait, I'm trying to think it out now: was it Hydrochloric Acid and Manganese Peroxide? Or was it Calcium Carbonate(or whatever CaCO3 is) and Sodium Hydroxide?.... and then........ DRAWING OUT A FRIGGIN' DIAGRAM? (For the record, the answer is: you put Hydrochloric Acid into Calcium Carbonate)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

I hate science too, but I've been taking down loads of definitions and have been doing a lot of exam paper qs. I think I'm improving. If you don't do science in the leaving cert, what courses can you not do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

I always thought the real pain in the arse aspect of science exams was the questions where they asked you to, say, write out an experiment and draw a diagram to show how to prepare a sample of Carbon Dioxide.... I always get mixed up with those ones. Wait, I'm trying to think it out now: was it Hydrochloric Acid and Manganese Peroxide? Or was it Calcium Carbonate(or whatever CaCO3 is) and Sodium Hydroxide?.... and then........ DRAWING OUT A FRIGGIN' DIAGRAM? (For the record, the answer is: you put Hydrochloric Acid into Calcium Carbonate)

A good way of remembering them is that for preparing carbon dioxide neither of the chemicals have the word 'oxide' in them. The chemicals for oxygen both have 'oxide' in them
    :)

Those predictions would be real nice about now... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

MarkD09 wrote: »
    Those predictions would be real nice about now... :/
    -The heart and blood.
    -Ohm's Law
    -Light (reflection, refraction, dispersion)

My teacher is pretty confident that these will feature as long questions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JoeyPS3

how much are the experiments and stuff we all done worth? i am in deep danger of failing and i am starting to panic :/

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

35%

JoeyPS3 wrote: »
    how much are the experiments and stuff we all done worth? i am in deep danger of failing and i am starting to panic :/

Investigation = 25%.
    Experiments = 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Bruckey2345

Any more predictions ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 laurieithink

Any more predictions ???

Yeah i need predictions too! I think Funky Oxygens forgotten :/

what experiments were we supposed to do? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Predictions are pointless really.

I do think that the skeleton and chemical bonding will come up.
    I also think you will be asked for the experiment to show that sounds needs a medium to travel.

Pointless, because they could easily not come up. I have no idea if they will or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

Feeling confident enough, I've worked throughout the year so I should be ok

I predict we'll all fail... I also predict FunkyOxygen will check the thread soon and think ****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭flump_master

Try http://www.sciencequiz.net/- it's good for JC science :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

robman60 wrote: »
    -The heart and blood.
    -Ohm's Law
    -Light (reflection, refraction, dispersion)

My teacher is pretty confident that these will feature as long questions.

Spot on, thank you sooooo sooooo much :D

Advertisement