Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Anyone listen to the Taz podcast? I heard he went off on fan-created podcasts and am curious as to what he said!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Anyone listen to the Taz podcast? I heard he went off on fan-created podcasts and am curious as to what he said!

Wasn't the most coherent thing. I pretended not know what to know to the name of Botchamania. Nothing really to get offended or certainly listen for an hour or so to hear. Taz seemingly indulges a lot of faux-outrages (I might be giving him too much credit in that) to create content for his podcast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Interesting read if you don't have time to listen to Ric Flair's podcast:
    https://twitter.com/WrestlingInc/status/634560972183732225

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Took the advice here and listened to Flair podcast. Very entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Once you get past the Fozzy shilling and adverts, Jerichos isn't a bad podcast. Henry, new day and sashas episodes were all great and a fun listen.

It's sad to see Cabanas podcast since the Punk interview. Was always good to hear his dynamic with WWE lads who made it to the main roster, sucks that his friendship with punk has as I imagine gotten him s#itcanned with WWE for guests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Once you get past the Fozzy shilling and adverts, Jerichos isn't a bad podcast. Henry, new day and sashas episodes were all great and a fun listen.

It's sad to see Cabanas podcast since the Punk interview. Was always good to hear his dynamic with WWE lads who made it to the main roster, sucks that his friendship with punk has as I imagine gotten him s#itcanned with WWE for guests

i really like Jericho podcasts i just skip the ads and fozzy stuff.

im actually suprised how good flairs podcast has been, he seems to be in a much better place then he has in years. i wonder if its Charlotte being in the industry helping him a lot as the loss of reid hit him so hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,693 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Listening to jerichos podcast with sasha banks. Really good interview. She seems to have been a life long fan and has a passion for the business. Her favourite wrestler ever was Eddie Guerrero.

Edit: loved her dusty impression btw.

Jesus I loved her as a character but she comes across as a really nice person.

Flairs podcast is must listen most weeks. I think many of the podcasts would come back refreshed if they took a couple of breaks a year.

There's only so much you can listen to anybody.

Is Tazz CBS show a big deal? Seems like it's the first of its kind. He's close to the current industry yet doesn't look likely to work for WWE again which is pretty unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Still making my way through The Place To Be. I'm on Episode 134, which is where they review International Incident. I don't think I've ever seen this pay per view, but from the sounds of things it wasn't a classic. I always get a little bit annoyed when a champion is in a match on a pay per view but the championship isn't on the line, like when Owens beat Cena.

I've been on a binge of Wooo Nation. Great to see things seem to have turned around for Ric Flair after a few rough years but his cohost is starting to sound like the new Alice Radley.

During the episode with Bruce Pritchard all I can hear is his forced irritating laughter every few seconds. He really needs to mute his mic during interviews and let the interesting people talk.

Probably better in small doses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I thought PTP would have a bit more life about them on Talk is Jericho this week, they came across as nice guys, but it wasn't exactly an entertaining podcast. Titus comes across very subdued. Also I'm a huge Jericho fan but he didn't exactly do his best work here either, some poor questions and sounded a bit underprepared.

I'm almost finished Austin's Summerslam Review with Wade Keller, he is really starting to having a bitch about the 'product' these days. I completely agreed with him criticising Cena's STF before but on this podcast he has already complained about the commentary, Rusev's elbows, Ziggler's selling, the too-staged entrances, Stephen Amell, Jon Stewart...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Has anyone listened to Russo on Flairs cast? I hate Russo but wondering if theres anything worth while on it as Ive enjoyed most of Flairs shows.

Been really enjoying Talking Sheet lately, its a nice concept and Moore and Little are easy to listen to, anyone else listen to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

beakerjoe wrote: »

Been really enjoying Talking Sheet lately, its a nice concept and Moore and Little are easy to listen to, anyone else listen to it?

Yeah I listen to it regularly. Check out Between the Sheets with Kris Zellner and David Bixenspan. Les Moore appears on the latest episode

http://placetobenation.com/between-the-sheets-6-august-25-31-1991/

Ageyev wrote: »
    Yeah I listen to it regularly. Check out Between the Sheets with Kris Zellner and David Bixenspan. Les Moore appears on the latest episode

http://placetobenation.com/between-the-sheets-6-august-25-31-1991/

Im 20 minutes into it, have never listened to Bix and Zellner yet until this morning mainly because of Les Moores cameo. Im enjoying it so far though Kris needs a better mic.

Are there any other wrestling podcasts with Irish people on them? Leggo has Low Blows, there was a boards one for a while, Kefin from AE Podcast. Any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Are there any other wrestling podcasts with Irish people on them? Leggo has Low Blows, there was a boards one for a while, Kefin from AE Podcast. Any more?

I listen to one called The Bottom Rope http://www.podcastchart.com/podcasts/the-bottom-rope-s-podcast

What are the best Wrestling Observer F4W shows? I subscribed for 3 months to hear the audio mainly. I like listening to Meltzer and Alvarez but not short enough on podcasts to listen to some of the jobbers on there. How often is Meltzer on?

Alan from F4W is from Ireland. Nice guy too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

What are the best Wrestling Observer F4W shows? I subscribed for 3 months to hear the audio mainly. I like listening to Meltzer and Alvarez but not short enough on podcasts to listen to some of the jobbers on there. How often is Meltzer on?

One thing I'd say about Melty/Bryan shows is that they really don't have fun watching WWE at all and it shines through in terms of negativity. They're influential in terms of how lots of people online think too which can be a bit annoying when you're looking for different viewpoints. Had to stop listening to them because any scoops are outweighed by them being harsh.

If you want something different listen to Dr Keith Show hosted by Alan4L. Does lots of indie/Japan stuff but his best stuff are his A-Z shows because they have two hilarious guests on and one of them is Irish.

Dr Karl is a good one too if you like old stuff from the 80's. I've no clue what a Tully Blanchard is but Karl has a really great Southern accent that is weirdly soothing. Plus the first time I listened he was called in to investigate a meth lab explosion (not joking).

Really worth noting there's a massive difference between watching wrestling (WWE) for fun, and paying attention/taking notes for review. Wrestling isn't written well enough to stand up to any kind of scrutiny, and having to think about bad wrestling is frustrating and demoralising! I actually think Bryan and Meltzer are remarkably positive for people firmly entrenched in current wresting.
    That said if these podcasts lower your enjoyment of wrestling overall then definitely do not listen to them!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'd rather dig ditches than analyse every moment of WWE TV for a living. You have to admire their tenacity!

The 80's and okdschool shows sound interesting and I'll take a look at the archives.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Really worth noting there's a massive difference between watching wrestling (WWE) for fun, and paying attention/taking notes for review. Wrestling isn't written well enough to stand up to any kind of scrutiny, and having to think about bad wrestling is frustrating and demoralising! I actually think Bryan and Meltzer are remarkably positive for people firmly entrenched in current wresting.
    That said if these podcasts lower your enjoyment of wrestling overall then definitely do not listen to them!

That's the sad mindset of some people though. They enjoy misery, so will listen to something with the sole objective of ripping it. How depressing is that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

There's no industry where every single point on the Nielsen rating scale is dissected to such an anal degree. Wrestling podcasts have blood on their hands for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭jesusjones

Thanks for the shoutout Chip Whitley. I am one of the two guys who do the Bottom Rope Podcast. Previous guests we had include Joey Cabray, Ricky Knight (father of WWE Diva Paige), Lionheart, Rene Dupree, Dave Millican and Terri Runnels. Our normal shows have weekly reviews of Raw, NXT and the news in Review and we also have special sections like c--t of the week, people we wiss and matches that were great but were not fully valued at the time. Other links are Mixcloud: https://www.mixcloud.com/thebottomrope1/ ITunes:https://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/the-bottom-ropes-podcast/id976605715?mt=2 Follow us on Twitter: @bottomrope1 and Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/thebottomrope

Do not know if I am allowed to promote the pod but i thought since it was mentioned I would give a little more detail on it. Also love your podcasts Jay would love to do one with you sometime in the future.

Keith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

He does a post-Raw show on Monday night's (both him and Alvarez are on Pacific time which is 8hours behind) and Wednesday nights. If there's a UFC or WWE PPV show they'll do a podcast. They will do the odd podcast interviewing someone, last interview was the Young Bucks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

When he was on with J.R after WrestleMania I found that he wasn't too negative, probably because J.R was being fairly positive about the show. Bryan Alvarez seems like the bigger moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

I'm gone off any of the wrestlers podcasts on podcast-one hate the constant ads and waffle for 20mins before the guest comes on I enjoy Flair on WooNation there's hardly any waffle and even the odd ads are entertaining as he seems to do each one live on each show, I've started listening back to some of Pipers podcast on Soundcloud, I've listened to MLWs talking shop with some of the Bullett Club members
    I find Doc Gallows overbearing the Hacksaw Jim Duggan show was probably the best one they did so far though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

When he was on with J.R after WrestleMania I found that he wasn't too negative, probably because J.R was being fairly positive about the show. Bryan Alvarez seems like the bigger moan.
    Meltzer's fine imo, he's very objective and matter of fact but he'll pick out positives if he can usually. How he comes across depends quite heavily on who he's with.

Alvarez has been pretty jaded for a good while and I can't imagine he's gotten any better since I last heard him (Especially if he's still talking to Lance Storm on a weekly basis. :pac: )

Meltzer's fine imo, he's very objective and matter of fact but he'll pick out positives if he can usually. How he comes across depends quite heavily on who he's with.

Alvarez has been pretty jaded for a good while and I can't imagine he's gotten any better since I last heard him (Especially if he's still talking to Lance Storm on a weekly basis. :pac: )

Alvarez was just saying iot how he saw it, apart from Rollins / Orton and the great main event, Wrestlemania was nothing special. It was enjoyable but not a great Mania of all time or even a show of the year contender.

Overall I like Metlzer, though I find him lacking enthusiasm on his casts, as he can come of as not being that bothered at times. His Newsletter seems much better. Though I do hate his coverage of UFC. I pay for wrestling insider knowledge, news and opinions, not UFC. Ive no problem with UFC, I just don’t want Daves opinion of UFC on a paid for podcast.

• Advertisement

I like the MMA and occasional boxing talk from what I've listened to so far but they should be separate shows if he wants to do both. I don't think there's as much crossover with fans as they say. Especially since there's no more ppv.

Advertisement