Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding out your baby's gender

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I think almost everyone in the USA finds out?

It's impossible to make generalisations about anything "most everyone" in the States does. It's the same as here - some do & some don't.

In the circles I grew up in, people generally did find out & announced the gender & name of the baby before the birth. It's just what was done, and personally I wouldn't think the magical moment of first holding your child is in any way diminished just b/c you know boy/girl prior to birth.

A flip side on not finding out is if your "gut/instinct" tells you you're having something different than what you really are...I was 100% sure my first-born was a boy - absolutely certain - and when my child was born a girl I was a bit shell-shocked. I had jokingly said when I was preg that I'd have a tough time adjusting if the babe was actually a girl, and obviously when she was born it didn't matter anyway, but the confusion I felt in those first few moments did take my concentration away for a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

'and personally I wouldn't think the magical moment of first holding your child is in any way diminished just b/c you know boy/girl prior to birth.'

Oh no i didn't mean the moment is diminished...i just meant that for me the moment was extra special because it was at that exact moment i found out that i had a daughter.

Don't think you can argue this one, it's personal and there's no rights or wrongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SarahC11

i know im having a girl but i think i will still be shocked / happy when i hold my baby for the 1st time! (its my first) i agree with both sides i would have liked the surprise of it but im too impatient i had to know!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Naineen

Dades wrote: »
    Yeah, so you decide if the baby is to be called Sneachta or Persephone. :pac:

this just made me snort my (decaf)coffee onto my screen...teeheehee.

getting the same vibe from the mainland - people pushing for us to find out the sex of our baby so they can buy gender-appropriate stuff...

I first thought I'd like to know, but hubby said he didnt - so I can't cause I cannot keep my mouth shut. happy with it now though, it'll be a nice surprise! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

Nicole22 wrote: »
    As the hospital wouldnt tell me the sex on my first I decided to have a 3D scan at around 25 weeks (which is amazing btw) and we found out then. I wanted to know so I could think of whether it was my son or daughter growing inside me. Even in the labour it was nice to think "one more push and I get to meet my son". I just prefered to know. I'm pregnant with our second now and I'll definately be having a 3D scan again and finding out. Oh and my partner wanted to know aswell so no problems there. Each to their own though, its a personal choice.

I will be having a 3d/4d scan in the next 8 weeks. I don't want to find out the sex.
    Is it possible to not find out while having a 3/4d scan?

I will also be getting a dvd so i am wondering if it will be plain obvious??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

collegeme wrote: »
    I will be having a 3d/4d scan in the next 8 weeks. I don't want to find out the sex.

Ive had 3 babies i was told on the first one i was having a girl, on the second and 3rd they refused to tell me, however with my last guy he was on full display and i could see he was a boy and that was the normal everyday scan you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

collegeme wrote: »

I asked this exact question here a few weeks ago! :)

Some people said no but i think 3-4 (here and another website) said it was very clear, especially on the dvd. That was enough for me so i didnt go for the scan :(

Bought a gorgeous crib with the money instead though :D

I think go for it if you don't mind accidently seeing the sex (ask sonographer to avoid the area) but if you really really don't antto know then i wouldnt have the scan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

mariaf24 wrote: »
    I asked this exact question here a few weeks ago! :)

Some people said no but i think 3-4 (here and another website) said it was very clear, especially on the dvd. That was enough for me so i didnt go for the scan :(

Bought a gorgeous crib with the money instead though :D

I think go for it if you don't mind accidently seeing the sex (ask sonographer to avoid the area) but if you really really don't antto know then i wouldnt have the scan!!

Ah but i won the scan for free ;) so i feel i have to go :)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My brother and sister in law went for the 3D scan but didn't want to know what they were having so they told the sonographer and she said she'd try to avoid the area, but that there was a slight chance that they'd see. In the end everything went grand and they didn't see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Found out on the 2nd 3rd and 4th but the 4th was told boy and a girl arrived! Was delighted though cos I already had 3 boys:D I will never forget my husbands face when the midwife said it was a girl!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I found out I'm having a boy last week! I'd be seriously shocked if a girl arrived because the midwife showed me the scan and it's very obviously a boy!! That said, when my mum was pregnant with us, she was told each time that she was having a boy and she got 3 girls! Lucky for her she bought baby stuff that was gender neutral!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I have had it confirmed a few times that we are having a girl - it makes sense as the pregnancy has been totally different than that with our son (who was obvoously a boy in the scans). For me I like knowing the gender so that I can talk to my baby with their name. I would not have cared what gender she is but knowing is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭GoerGirl

We found out for two of ours - once they were wrong!!!

On the "surprise" element - knowing the gender for me never altered that amazing rush you get following the birth of your baby and you see him/her for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

I'm finding out the sex of my baby in the morning! I don't want to wait, I need to put an identity onto the bump so that the pregnancy may seem more real! I can't wait!

Advertisement