Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another walk ends in anger!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭kennyw

peasant wrote: »
    Can I just throw in a remark from another angle here:

Yes, there are idiotic dog owners who let their dogs away with murder (almost) because they haven't a clue and because they don't care.

But please, for the sake of your dog, avoid confronting the owners about their behaviour while your dog is around.
    Why? Because with those kind of owners it will most likely end up in a shouting match (there's no arguing with these people anyway), you will get all heated and flustered and angry and this will rub off on your dog.

Soon you will end up with a self fulfilling prophecy at the end of your lead, a dog that will be all apprehensive and waiting to pounce as soon as it sees other dogs coming ...preparing for the next argument, so to speak.

As long as it is only a bit of noise and bad behavior from the other dog, ignore it, walk on and praise your dog for remaining calm.

I agree totaly peasant,
    There are so many situations that just arnt worth upsetting your dog or yourself about, and if your dog can ignore the situation without confrontation then its a gud idea for the owner to avoid raising a situation above what it needs too also.

As you said
    Why? Because with those kind of owners it will most likely end up in a shouting match (there's no arguing with these people anyway)

But if it gets to a stage where you or your dog feel completly overwhlemed or in a tight spot with no other alternatives then IMO to be an adult about these things and speak to the owner of the dog(s). If the convo gets hot, just walk away.. Any decent person will or shud at least see the story from both sides.

Whispered wrote: »
    I was in a vet once waiting to pick up a dog and there was an older lady with 2 smallies, one of whom was called Katie (pronounced by the lady as Kashy). A guy walked through with a rottie, "kashy" attacked. Poor rottie stood there dumbfounded. The old lady picked up her dog shouting "oh jaysus, oh lord, Kashy he nearly ATE you!!!":D:D

hahaha i think sometimes the rotties or any other big breed dog just gets stunned by a little thing about pint sized compared to them startin on them..

I would be in shock too if per sé a 10yr old came up to me startin on me in a doctors surgery.. hahaha (using age as a guide here to physical size in comparison.)

but isnt it funny how these attacks are always started by the napoleon dog, who thinks his a indistructable little tank. and the bigger dog the majority of time walk away more shocked than anythin..

Its only an opinion/observation but do you agree/think that maybe "some" people with small dogs just dont pay enough attetion to training smaller dogs as they dont see it as a risk factor.

compared to a bigger dog owner who knows an understands the responsablity that if not properly guided in life it will end up been in alot of trouble with its own breed an us as humans.

If only the higher percentage of dog owners who own toy breed's or small working class dogs, also medium build Lab's etc paid more attention to the fact than ANY dog small or large can be a danger to the public and other dogs not just the RB's or big breeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Forst off thanks Kennyw for the comments Buddy is getting on great, he has not had any more snapping incidents since my original post i'll attach another post with a new pic from last week when i had him out at a show:)
    sambuka41 wrote: »
    Not to be bad OP but do you not think there may be something going on here with your dog? Im not an expert but I've had dogs for years and can count on one hand the amount of dogs that have snapped at any of mine. My male westie had a few run ins but he was not a social dog and even on lead other dogs sensed that about him.

My little one at the moment gets walked every day in a park full of dogs and had never had another dog nip at her, possible once or twice in play.

Could it be something that your dog is doing?

Nope sambuka41, I have my fella thought to sit when other dogs approach us, or I will wait and just leave him stand and sniff each other, all depending on how the other dog and owner is reacting, as he's getting bigger now I have noticed a lot more people will turn away even people with big lab's bigger than Buddy is now will turn away. I find it funny knowing how friendly and playfull Buddy is.

On a great note I have met a great few people who love rotties in my local park one couple with 2 Golden Retrievers and one fella with a jack russell, both times our dogs spent a good half an hour running and chasing each other around :D

Buddy at 7 1/2 months
    picture.php?albumid=1668&pictureid=9547

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

I sympathise with your situation OP. As the owner of a some what "yelpy" dog myself I wouldn't trust him off lead. he's a very placid dog and well behaved around small dogs but he gets mouthy and defensive around bigger breed dogs(he's a jack russell)
    I'm trying to work on this with him at the moment

this may have something to do with the two labs left running loose around our estate who scare the be-jesus out of him every time we go walkies.

why dont people understand easy solution,leash your dogs!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

garkane wrote: »
    Buddy at 7 1/2 months
    picture.php?albumid=1668&pictureid=9547

they're beauties :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

garkane wrote: »
    Buddy at 7 1/2 months

Why are they not muzzled as per the law?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

The law only states that they need to be muzzled in public, that photo could have been taken on private property for all we know.

@Garkane- He's a beauty. I love how rotts can go from serious to smiling in a matter of seconds.

Why... :rolleyes: As I said in the post before the picture I was at a dog show, hence he was on private grounds!

Oh and just in case there's any confusion he's the bigger of the two there, the smaller pup is a bitch of 5mths:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

:rolleyes:
    They are at a dog show, so why would you muzzle a dog at a dog show, seriously??:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The dog show is open to the public, no?

I think they're beautiful dogs, but wondered, that's all.

Yeah it is opened to the public, but on private grounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

The dog show is open to the public, no?

I think they're beautiful dogs, but wondered, that's all.

Are you serious? How do you expect to show your dog with a bloody muzzle on, i really do wonder about some people...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

ashblag wrote: »
    I sympathise with your situation OP. As the owner of a some what "yelpy" dog myself I wouldn't trust him off lead. he's a very placid dog and well behaved around small dogs but he gets mouthy and defensive around bigger breed dogs(he's a jack russell)
    I'm trying to work on this with him at the moment

this may have something to do with the two labs left running loose around our estate who scare the be-jesus out of him every time we go walkies.

why dont people understand easy solution,leash your dogs!!!!!!!

My Jack Russell cross is exactly the same, he makes a lot of noise but if i can let him say hello he's fine. Plus it's only when he's on leash. We're doing a lot of training with him as he's a rescue and seems to have a few issues. We know small dogs need as much training as big ones maybe even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I went to the Dogathon last week. Lots and lots of different dogs, no muzzles ;) and only one fight: Pom vs Yorkie, made worse by the fact that both owners use flexis which got tangled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

kennyw wrote: »

but isnt it funny how these attacks are always started by the napoleon dog, who thinks his a indistructable little tank. and the bigger dog the majority of time walk away more shocked than anythin..

Its only an opinion/observation but do you agree/think that maybe "some" people with small dogs just dont pay enough attetion to training smaller dogs as they dont see it as a risk factor.

compared to a bigger dog owner who knows an understands the responsablity that if not properly guided in life it will end up been in alot of trouble with its own breed an us as humans.

If only the higher percentage of dog owners who own toy breed's or small working class dogs, also medium build Lab's etc paid more attention to the fact than ANY dog small or large can be a danger to the public and other dogs not just the RB's or big breeds.

I think your tarring everyone with the same brush. I have a small JRT, and TBH i'm quite ashamed by what i'm reading here. It has nothing to do with if the dog is big or small, just irresponsible owners.

I had a GS lung at my dog and try to bite her whole head. I thank god she was on a short lead and i could get to her. But on the other hand i've also had small dogs chase after her as well

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Lucky no incidents with offlead dogs charging us this evening, but I met two different people, within fifteen minutes of each other who had lost their dogs. The first had lost hers over an hour before, the other couple had lost theirs about twenty minutes before. I asked them what were the dogs doing and got pretty much the same response, "I dont know, I wasn't watching him/her. S/he was off the lead doing his/her own thing."

Why do people not watch what their dogs are doing, or where they are going? I told them of course that I'd keep an eye out for them, but I just cant understand the mentality where you go to the park, leave your dog off the lead and then dont pay it anymore attention?
    In saying that, I really hope they find their dogs. Hopefully this is a lesson they will learn that has a happy ending.

Originally Posted by garkane View Post
    Buddy at 7 1/2 months

As i said before Garkeane, buddy is just a stunner.. Lovely pup, he'l be a heartbreaker.. hahaha

tatabubbly
    I think your tarring everyone with the same brush. I have a small JRT, and TBH i'm quite ashamed by what i'm reading here. It has nothing to do with if the dog is big or small, just irresponsible owners.

I do apologise if you have mistaken my opinion. as a Tar to all small dog owners.. I myself have owned an will one day own again a small breed dog, i have no problem with any breed, shape or form. The only thing i have a problem with is owners that arent responsible. Its not the dogs fault that it has not got the proper guidance from the start. As i said in the post previous to your reply
    fact than ANY dog small or large can be a danger to the public and other dogs

I do agreee totally with what you said also
    It has nothing to do with if the dog is big or small, just irresponsible owners.

I hope that i have explained the situation a bit better now an i do apologise if i had offended you. That was not my intention.

Advertisement