Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Crowley Running for President

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Seloth wrote: »
    Martin as he explained in the interview the money was used for political means and was fully accounted for

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/02/11/so-why-did-that-money-end-up-in-your-wifes-account-mr-martin/

So why then did it end up in his wife's (girlfriend's) bank acocunt(s) in Dublin ?
    Did he follow the usual ff trend of not having a bank acccount, or at least not one in this jurisdiction but in the Caymans or some such place ?

Does it not strike you as unusual that a newly elected TD would be given half the average industrial wage by a prominent developer?
    And he was at a meeting between the same developer and a future party/government leader, where it was claimed that the developer had bribed the same future party/government leader in order to build big shopping centre in Dublin ?
    FF shared the same economic goals as Lab and FG,have similar policy's with FG stating for FF government should be spending more.

Except that is a big what if.
    Lets just stick to the actual facts, ff did run the economy and the country into the ground.
    I'm sorry but if you held that view with the amount of high profile politicians that lied under oath from every party then we would never have a government.And even so after that event he resigned from his post after it.

Spoken like a true soldier of dysentery.
    Maybe it has been power for the course and the norm, if not a pre-requesite qualification for promotion within a ff government. :rolleyes:

You are excusing the minister of defense lying under oath on an affadivit to the second highest court in the land.
    This would be the same minister who urged his constituents to risk their and their families lives to testify truthfully in criminal courts.
    Hypocrit much. :rolleyes:

BTW he didn't freely resign as you make out, he was pushed and only begrudingly resigned.
    So stop the bullsh**e lauding of someone devoid of principles. :mad:
    If your argument is based solely on that and even the former leader of what was always their main opposition and who are now in power then you may wish to do a little more diggin.I'm not going to defend the actions and indeed the crookedness of the party in the past but they do genuinely seem to wish to change.

Ehhh you already have defended, or rather excused, their crookedness above.
    They so wish to change that they promoted the self same liar from Limerick to the front bench.

Would you mind pulling the other one it has bells on it. :rolleyes:
    Just too add I didnt vote FF in the GE but I hate to see unfair accusations being put in place.

Unfair accussations.
    Shure it's all the medjas fault, is it not. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

raymon wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused and lost - the thread started with crowley , moved on to FF reform, something about the healy rae and now is debating animal testing

Yeah...I know people are going to say I'm dodging those past posts but essentialy this has turned into one of those "Nazi" arguments where it'll continue and go no where.

So back on topic then:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭COUCH WARRIOR

Crowley would be an idiot to run for president. Would he have to give up the MEP seat before running or only if elected? The way you can just give your seat to someone else unelected in the EU parliament just seems wrong to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Brian Crowley,The Current MEP for South constituency is going to run in the Presidential elecitons.

He hasn't actually declared his intention anywhere has he?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

People should forget about what party each canditate is from or not from and put the best person for the job into the Aras. Brian Crowley from all the names mentioned would by far be the best of them, but he wont get in because he is a member of the Fianna Fail party. Not to put him in would be Ireland's loss. He has done a brilliant job in Europe for Ireland and would do a brilliant job for Ireland in the Aras.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Would he have to give up the MEP seat before running or only if elected?

He'd do an Alan Kelly on it ;)

Become an MEP and declare no plans to run for the Dáil and he'd serve the term

Two years later declare how committed he is to his constituency but don't resign from Europe, no that's the backup plan if he failed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Deise Tom wrote: »
    People should forget about what party each canditate is from or not from and put the best person for the job into the Aras. Brian Crowley from all the names mentioned would by far be the best of them, but he wont get in because he is a member of the Fianna Fail party. Not to put him in would be Ireland's loss. He has done a brilliant job in Europe for Ireland and would do a brilliant job for Ireland in the Aras.

I agree to an extent. If I think someone is an outstanding candidate, or even just the outstanding candidate in the field, I'll vote for them regardless of party affiliation. However, if there's not all that much to choose between the candidates, then party affiliation (ie FF party affiliation) will play a part in my decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Well I think it is totally disingenuous to claim that a candidate can be excellent and a member of a party, and yet be be completely disconnected from a party. I won't be giving a vote to anyone who is explicitly Fianna Fáil.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fred Cohen

He has done a brilliant job in Europe for Ireland and would do a brilliant job for Ireland in the Aras.

Can you cite some examples?

What qualifications does Mr Crowley have that would make him the best person to lead our state, given the trouble we're in?

As a member of Fianna Fail, does he stand by his support of Bertie Ahern, Brain Cowan and decisions they made?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Not to put him in would be Ireland's loss. He has done a brilliant job in Europe for Ireland and would do a brilliant job for Ireland in the Aras.

Yes please provide an example of the brilliant job he is doing in Europe.

In my opinion the guy is not so accomplished, just doing his job , taking his pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

He has done a brilliant job in Europe for Ireland

MEPs represent their constituents - not Ireland. The interests of the constituents from the 4 constituencies in Ireland (i.e. the RoI to be specific) may vary from issue to issue. For instance, the CAP is/was wonderful if you are a farmer, not so wonderful if you are not (CAP results in import restrictions on cheaper food and guaranteed minimum prices for food - all of which hits the pocket book of consumers).

In addition, the other obvious point is that MEPs primarily - but not exclusively - tend to vote along party political lines, so MEPs from the same constituency can find themselves voting against each other as often as they do with each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 scoondle

Brian Crowley is Fianna Fail. Even still, 10% of the Irish electorate would still vote for one of these idiots - guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,801 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I have met Brian crowley he was at a conference for Spina Bifida a number of years back and he came as a speaker and was very good went and met everyone (not many at the conference) and talked for a while. Just 2 points

1. Let me say for those who would vote just because of the chair(I am in 1 also) DON'T use it for the person who is best qualified not a smpathy vote

2. There was a quote in some post I think it was in a post by later 10 but he did not make it where it said he joked about his own disability well good on him and if it the story I am thinking about it is not a joke it was true. He was in a car accident once and a guy came to help him out of the car and he said I need the wheelchair the fellow said it aint that bad but Brian said it again the fellow said you will be fine then he said no I am in a wheelchair I need my chair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Anyone who'd vote for a FF candidate has learned nothing over the last few years. But that doesn't surprise me at all :)
    I must agree with you Leixlip, the Irish indeed appear to be very slow to learn anything at all ! Even when facts are put squarely in front of thier faces ! Perhaps it is genetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Maybe you could add a little more detail to allow us all to decide what a brilliant job he has done ?
    I am a constituent of his and would like to know. I know he declined to use his position as an MEP to speak out about the Cloyne crisis. Given that it involved a foreign power, i.e the Vatican State, it would have been appropriate for him to speak out.

Advertisement