Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Started

Options
  • 19-04-2011 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I haven't done any creative writing since school (nearly 10 years ago) and really want to start again. Any tips for on how to get in to it again?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Have you any idea of what you'd like to write - stories, poems, a book, a screenplay?

The best is just to start writing anything at all and see what comes out. If you need some inspiration or specific pointers, just ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 scottishtulip

I used to do short stories so would probably like to that again but finding it a bit daunting to start writing again after so long!

Would you be interested in entering an anonymous competition for a bit of fun?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

scottishtulip, you have read my mind! :)

I'm looking to get back into writing as well. I would always be jotting down stuff but actually want to structure my ideas into stories. My short stories are usually based on true stories about something crazy or stupid I have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 scottishtulip

Pickarooney I would definitely be interested- hopefully it would give me motivation to get going.
    Dermo if you are jotting things down you are doing much better than me already! I don't even do that. Sounds like you have a fun life if you do lots of crazy things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Would be very interested in getting back into writing short stories myself too actually!

Wouldn't be up for a competition tbh I'll ease myself back into it but I'll follow the forum and see what's happening from now on

Pickarooney I would definitely be interested- hopefully it would give me motivation to get going.
    Dermo if you are jotting things down you are doing much better than me already! I don't even do that. Sounds like you have a fun life if you do lots of crazy things!

There are a couple of places left :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056240185

Add your name there if you'd like to join in, and if you have any ideas for themes, please post them in that thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

PaulieC wrote: »
    Would be very interested in getting back into writing short stories myself too actually!

Wouldn't be up for a competition tbh I'll ease myself back into it but I'll follow the forum and see what's happening from now on

You said it, I was thinking about it but I am not brave enough for a competition yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

I think the best way to start writing again is to simply start writing.
    You can just write down what you did the day before and at some point bring in something that didn't happen to spice it up.
    You'll see, the ideas keep coming as you go :)

Advertisement