Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition - Total Write-Off

Options
  • 15-04-2011 8:59am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking of some kind of variation on a variation on a theme here - same basic idea in that contestants are given an outline and submissions are posted anonymously, but with a little twist - this time it would be head-to-head with everyone competing against one other (unknown) person, one story per pair.

Winners go through to the next round where it starts again with a new story. We would ideally need 8 people (or 16!) who can commit to writing three stories in a fairly short space of time.

To try and explain it graphically, in cup knockout format:
    [B]QF                     SF                Final[/B]
    Ct. 1 
    vs (3 little pigs)     Ct. 2
    Ct. 2                  |
                           vs (rapunzel)
    Ct. 3                  |
    vs (red riding hood)   Ct. 3             Ct. 3
    Ct. 4                                    |
                                             vs (pinocchio)    [B]Winner: Ct. 3[/B]
    Ct. 5                                    |
    vs (little mermaid)    Ct. 6             Ct. 7
    Ct. 6                  |
                           vs (snow white)
    Ct. 7                  |
    vs (sleeeping beauty   Ct. 7
    Ct. 8

Edit: The 16 confirmed contestants (so an extra preliminary round is needed) are:

angelll
    Antilles
    Aoibheann
    azzeretti
    Blush_01
    Dermo Doluc
    Hrududu
    Insect Overlord
    Killer_banana
    Memnoch
    Mr E
    Oryx
    Phantasos
    Slow Show
    smcgiff
    Turtyturd

Waiting list:
    Darkestlord
    Lensbaby89
    Doluc

Round One (16 contestants)
    The draw for round one,which ended on May 11th at 23.59 BST and was extended for 72 to hours to accommodate a replacement entry is posted here.

The word count for round one was approximately 1000.

Quarter-finals
    The draw for the quarter-finals, which ended on the 18th of June 2011 at 23.59 BST is posted
    here.

The word count for the quarter-finals was approximately 1500.

Semi-Finals
    The draw for the semi-finals, which ended on the 21st of July 2011 at 23.59 BST is posted
    here.

The word count for the semi-finals was approximately 2000.

Final
    The line-up for the final pairing, submissions for which closed at 23.59 BST on the 18th of August is posted here.

The word count for the final was approximately 2500.

On the 31st August at 08.42 BST the winner will be revealed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Phantasos

That sounds like a good idea - I really need something to give me a kick and force me to write. The knockout idea (although it sucks if I get knocked out at stage one) is an interesting twist.

Looking forward to it already!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

I like it. It would give me a bit of motivation to write. What kind of time frame might there be between rounds though? Not sure I could get 2-3 stories out in a few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Sounds good.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Im liking this. Havent written a thing since the last voat, this would make me work again.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

We might make it a 500, 1000, 1500/2000 increasing limit with the rounds and about 5 days between rounds. Whatever suits best.

Can you thank the first post if you're interested so I can get an idea of numbers. If it's not a perfect power of 2 we can draw for byes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

I'm working on a big project at the minute but could take time out for this :)

Not sure about your theme selections though, Pickarooney!

Antilles wrote: »
    I'm working on a big project at the minute but could take time out for this :)

Not sure about your theme selections though, Pickarooney!

Those are just placeholder texts.

Good, cos I think Disney have most of them covered anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Sounds fun. I can't start till early may, but feel free to go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I like the sound of it. Need something to get me writing again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Haven't been visiting this forum lately, but need a kick up the ass to get writing again. Count me in. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'll give this a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I'd like to try this! I'm mid-study for exams which are in a few weeks, but I'm sure I can manage the time to get a story or two together. :)

Aoibheann wrote: »
    I'd like to try this! I'm mid-study for exams which are in a few weeks, but I'm sure I can manage the time to get a story or two together. :)

Procrastination will be a great motivator to spend time on this competition!

What do you think if we schedule the first round for the week of the 2nd of May? That would give us (me) time to collect the names, make the draw and pick the stories.

On the latter, if anyone wants to make suggestions, we'll need at least 7 themes.

Theme idea: Use a single word, for example:

Silence
    Procrastination
    Infinity
    Mistakes
    Remorse
    Boredom
    Rage

Or to use the same idea, the seven deadly sins.
    Lust
    Gluttony
    Greed
    Sloth
    Wrath
    Envy
    Pride

I like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

+1, really like both of those ideas. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

All sounds great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I was just thinking this evening (I kid you not) that my hand was going to fall off next time I tried to hold a pen out of sheer spite as a result of the neglect it's experienced.

I'm definitely in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

+1 for the "Seven Deadly Sins" idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Would be interested in this....ended up being a no show for the last VOAT because sickness and a philosophy essay conspired against me but will definitely take part this time.

Love the Seven Deadly Sins theme Oryx. Great idea!

It looks like we'll need a further round! Just two more places left; after that we'll need to make a waiting list. This is based on thanks in the OP - if your name is not there, please add it now.

So then... 8 more stories needed for the preliminary round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

count me in for this. I would be interested in giving it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I don't post here a whole lot, so if you wanted to put regulars ahead of me, that's perfectly fine, but I'd be willing to give this a go. :)

Ok then, the 16 are:

angelll
    Antilles
    Aoibheann
    azzeretti
    Blush_01
    Dermo
    Hrududu
    Insect Overlord
    Killer_banana
    Memnoch
    Mr E
    Oryx
    Phantasos
    Slow Show
    smcgiff
    Turtyturd

This could take a while to run off and I'd like to make allowances for people's times, so I'll be PMing people once I have made the draw to arrange dates.

I'm thinking of something vague like colours for the first round, or one randomly selected word from a book...

Maybe we should do the Seven Virtues for the other side:

Chastity
    Temperance
    Charity
    Diligence
    Patience
    Kindness
    Humility

They aren't as much fun as the Deadly Sins, but it would be interesting to have a Good vs Evil write-off, culminating in a final battle between the remaining writers of both sides! Something along the lines of this.

Besides, I'm just wondering what people would come up with from those themes - they are so abstract! Would be fun.

While I did make a suggestion above, this is your baby, pickarooney, you get to make the call on what we write about. If you only pick stuff we like, well, that just makes it too easy. :D

• Advertisement

Phantasos wrote: »
    Maybe we should do the Seven Virtues for the other side:

Chastity
    Temperance
    Charity
    Diligence
    Patience
    Kindness
    Humility

They aren't as much fun as the Deadly Sins, but it would be interesting to have a Good vs Evil write-off, culminating in a final battle between the remaining writers of both sides! Besides, I'm just wondering what people would come up with from those themes - they are so abstract! Would be fun.

I had never heard of the seven virtues before. If only there were 8...

Advertisement