Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingolimod - MS oral therapy

Options
  • 19-04-2011 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭

Hi, does anyone know when it will be available in Ireland, it is on the Sky news website that it is now available in the UK. Apparantly it is more effective than beta interferon and no side effects.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Just saw that on the news myself. I hope I'm eligible when it comes to Ireland. I've been having terrible reactions from my Copaxone injections the last while.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

it does, like all drugs, have side effects. The ones that leap about at me are optical and liver function.

Gilenya Side Effects

The most common side effects associated with Gilenya include headache, flu, diarrhea, back pain, abnormal liver tests and a persistent cough. In Gilenya clinical trials, more serious side effects included:
    • Bradycardia (slowing of the heartbeat) during the first Gilenya treatment. Consequently, the first does must be taken under medical supervision.
    • Increase risk of serious infections due to a decrease in the number of white blood cells (lymphocytes) in the blood.
    • Macular edema (swelling of the central portion of the retina) that causes distorted vision.
    • Shortness of breath
    • Liver problems may be indicated by nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, loss of appetite, fatigue, jaundice, dark urine
    • Elevated blood pressure
    • Bronchitis
    • Diarrhea

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

sounds wonderful :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Most of the MS drugs have pertty rotten side effects. Tysabri has a 1000 to 1 chance that you will get PML which can be fatal.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Have been on the whole cocktail of MS drugs, most recently two years of tysabri but no relief worth mentioning so am curious as to result/benefit/reactions, Neurologist mentioned September for Irish release, don't know how cut in stone this will be...
    Here's hoping for something..:(

• Advertisement

Alpina, have you been relapsing on Tysabri?

Alpina, have you been relapsing on Tysabri?

Apologies for delay in responding, ya basically two years of tysabri & decided to pack it in. Possibly sounds a tad 'gung ho'/immature but it was not making any difference at all. Towards the end of treatment my neurologist agreed that it appears tysabri just came along too late...
    Going on recent news; Gilenya™ Reduces Risk of MS Disability Progression Regardless of Treatment History
    A new analysis demonstrated that Gilenya (fingolimod) reduced the risk of disability progression in people with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS), regardless of treatment history
    it just may prove somewhat beneficial, may...

"They" say : no progression on tysabri -= progress, if you get me.

Yes totally get what you are saying, in my situation one can say no news is good news, however things were going backwards while on it...& without going into detail online just before the two year mark it proved pretty obvious that being on tic tacs would be as benificial going on my situation then. Was actually wondering was I on a placebo at the time, but no they assured me I was not, guess VHI would not be too happy about being billed over 2K for a vial of saline now....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

One important point regarding Gilenya / fingolimod side effects: they're dosage-dependent, and the dosage has been reduced through the trial process. Most reports don't take that in to account. In Phase II they tested 5mg and 1.25 mg, while in Phase III they tested 1.25mg and 0.5mg. The higher dosages have been dropped entirely, and only 0.5mg is being produced and prescribed. Novartis says they had no cases of melanoma or macular edema in patients on the lower dosage, and the liver effects don't sound (to me) worse than what you'd cause by drinking alcohol.

Meanwhile, the main competitor to fingolimod, cladibrine, is a goner: Merck has dropped all attempts to get it approved for RRMS. Quote:
    Considering the time it would take to complete a new clinical trial program and the significant risk that even a new program would not result in data sufficient for Cladribine Tablets' approval, and taking into account the changing competitive landscape, we have decided to not pursue further the worldwide approval process of Cladribine Tablets and to focus resources on other projects bringing benefit to patients with multiple sclerosis.

(I'm not in the pharma business at all, I'm just keeping an eye on these therapies for the obvious personal reason.)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭trishawisha

Sorry to bring up old thread. Went to my Neuro today and she said I can probably go on Gilenya when it comes out. Was so happy then just read about side effects above. She also said the Government have not released funding for it as yet but it is expected to go ahead soon. Anyone else have any news about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭outnumbered82

I was told the same that they have no funding for it but once it comes out in the new year i'll be able to get it, you have to go in to the clinic for the first time you take it because your heart rate slows down!! They say that it has no side effects bar the slowing down of your heart. the only thing i would worry about it would be that they dont have much info on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi there, any more updates on when Gilenia will be available in Ireland. Copaxone not working and afraid of Tysabri.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

My wife is starting on it next thursday in Beaumont we have to spend the day there so she can be monitored, anyone else on it yet sounds promising.

Hope it goes well for her, Fergal.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi i wondered how your wife got on I did think funding had been released yet? My mum is on no medication at the moment and really hoping that it will be sorted out soon before she has a relapse as she can feel herself slipping

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi Shivs85 I don't think the funding is released yet but the company are giving out what I think is called compassionate amounts of the drug to the four people starting on thursday. My wife was having very bad side effects from rebif and then avonex and had to be taken off it so I guess it was just luck "if I can call it that" that she was put forward for it.
    I did hear that the funding should be there with in the next few months so hopefully your mum will get sorted soon.

Best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/ap/novartis-drug-investigated-after-11-deaths

This is prob scaremongering but this has been just relised so let them know that you are aware of the latest updates.

I take betaferon and have been on it for 11 years no problems but also follow a very strict diet. There is a huge amount of infomation on the net if you are interested I can email you the websites. One is the Best Bet Diet which a group from the UK who follow a gluten, milk free diet and wheat free diet. Dermot O Connor is an Irish guy who wrote a book last year on alternative strategies for someone with MS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

femur61 wrote: »
    http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/ap/novartis-drug-investigated-after-11-deaths

This is prob scaremongering but this has been just relised so let them know that you are aware of the latest updates.

thats about the same number as tysabri, and its brand new! and tysabri has been around on and off for over a decade and is very strictly monitored and controlled now. Id say go with tysabri, its proven and tested and only a TINY TINY % of people develop the PML complications. this is all based on that article you liked to published on friday gone :eek:

Well we got the call today that the trial for thursday has now been put off till further notice :confused:

• Advertisement

Pity, but to be expected, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hdunne

I'm hoping to get the tablet next month on compassionate grounds, is anyone else taking the tablet or have any experience?

Was talking to my neuro, she says that the heart deaths were in people with heart problems to a greater extent and that there should be no reason for it not being made available(bar cost)

We are still waiting on word back.:confused:

Is this dead in the water ? i was hopeing to be consider for this as iv had a horrible few months on rebif and i cant imagen avonex being any better for me considering its the same type of medicine have to say though the side effects and news about these pills and my experience with the injections are putting me off trying any of these so called treatments again

Bizmark, have you considered tysabri?

I have seems the only real option i have though once a month at the docs is both convenient and a giant pain in terms of going anywhere for any amount of time (holidays and such)

Biz, I missed one or two last year due to (unrelated) illness, so you could miss if you really had to. Haven't relapsed since I started in 2009 and no changes in my scans either.

you would recommend it then? how do you generally feel after the infusion ?

• Advertisement

I am normally tired, but that's because I have a long drive there and back. It's always a Sunday, so at least I don't tend to miss work.We know the dates a year ahead too.
    I had two relapses in quick succession and they both damaged my "good" leg, so have been pleased with my Tysabri treatment thus far.

Advertisement