Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuckoo 2011

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Theres a few around here, can be heard most mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I can report good numbers of Cuckoos from Erris, Hollymount and Breaghy areas of Mayo this week as well as Lough Lynn in Roscommon:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

heard one tonight south of Athy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Is it just me or has the number of Cuckoos and their range increased hugely in this country in recent years - Just today I saw two for the first time ever in woodland near Blessington that I have watched for over 20 years and never seen this species in all that time up until today. Cuckoos have also been sighted over the last while in areas where they haven't been seen for many decades including places like Baldonnel and the Phoenix park etc.

This is obviously most welcome given their steep decline in many parts of the country during the 70's and 80's - I'm wondering whats boosting their numbers now??

Could it be factors in their wintering range or is something going on here:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭thyme

Just the one here last week and here he is, not very good I'am afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Heard my first cuckoo of the year yesterday in south Mayo. There seems to be fewer the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

I saw my first cuckoo ever a week or so ago. Flew low across me on a passage way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Finally! I heard my first local cuckoo this morning:). South Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Would Cuckoos still be about at this stage? Think I saw one today.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

whyulittle wrote: »
    Would Cuckoos still be about at this stage? Think I saw one today.

I don't think so. The ones the BTO were tracking in the UK left in June/July. http://www.bto.org/science/migration/tracking-studies/cuckoo-tracking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Was a Sparrowhawk, which is what I thought it was when I saw it first.

But looking at it back on the PC, it looked more like Cuckoo. Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They are often confused but Sparrowhawk it most certainly would have been.

Advertisement