Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

No food? So,why no visit by the Gardai I wonder.
    I havnt been in but heard it’s well managed and he has a deal with Prago who supply pizzas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭cml387

solerina wrote: »
    I havnt been in but heard it’s well managed and he has a deal with Prago who supply pizzas

Beer and pizza. Hmmm, maybe I will go in.

The pubs serving food are not asking people to leave after 105 minutes...You can drink away..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The pubs serving food are not asking people to leave after 105 minutes...You can drink away..

Sickening to those who remain closed on the basis they don't serve food, certain people are paying €9 for a side dish just so they have the gateway to the bar :rolleyes:

Still haven't stirred yet myself but when pubs open I'll sure be visiting somewhere that hasn't had the fair rub of the green.

Sickening to those who remain closed on the basis they don't serve food, certain people are paying €9 for a side dish just so they have the gateway to the bar :rolleyes:

Still haven't stirred yet myself but when pubs open I'll sure be visiting somewhere that hasn't had the fair rub of the green.

I havent been in any either...If I was a pub owner,I would be very pi***d off at the way things are..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Expunge

In the current climate, is it time for the Council to look at changing the name of Gladstone St?
    A few statues of the British Prime Minister have been or will be moved and a few things and buildings named for him have been changed, mostly in the UK due to his strong links to slavery.

What'll we change it to? Fab Vinnie Ave, Lally Hally St?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Irishman80

Expunge wrote: »
    In the current climate, is it time for the Council to look at changing the name of Gladstone St?
    A few statues of the British Prime Minister have been or will be moved and a few things and buildings named for him have been changed, mostly in the UK due to his strong links to slavery.

Have you looked around Clonmel lately? The place is a s--thole.

A street name is the least of their worries there.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

It has four previous names so change it back to the old name Lough st.
    http://clonmelonline.com/clonmel/street-names-of-clonmel/

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-53457922

upupup wrote: »

On the other hand Gladstone did a lot of work in introducing the Home Rule Bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

No, I absolutely hate this current trend of changing things from the past....it’s all a knee jerk reaction....I wouldn’t agree with calling a new street after such people or indeed erecting new statues of them but what is historical is just that.....leave things alone !!

• Advertisement

No, I absolutely hate this current trend of changing things from the past....it’s all a knee jerk reaction....I wouldn’t agree with calling a new street after such people or indeed erecting new statues of them but what is historical is just that.....leave things alone !!

And the cost of changing streetsigns, cost to business of chnging address, letterhead etc. etc.

Yes.if people left things alone it may still be called lough st.

cml387 wrote: »
    And the cost of changing streetsigns, cost to business of chnging address, letterhead etc. etc.

Money is important to some people but others see value elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 11,515 ✭✭✭✭klose

They can change it to Hitler boulevard for all I care if they got all the closed premises back open that have been closed over the years.

On the other hand Gladstone did a lot of work in introducing the Home Rule Bill.

He didn't do that work because he loved the Irish.It was economically motivated for the purses of the Crown and to line his own pockets.He was a british tory prime minister and their love for the irish was non-existent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Irishman80 wrote: »
    Have you looked around Clonmel lately? The place is a s--thole.

A street name is the least of their worries there.

Where ya from yourself?

He didn't do that work because he loved the Irish.It was economically motivated for the purses of the Crown and to line his own pockets.He was a british tory prime minister and their love for the irish was non-existent.

Except that Gladstone was in the Liberal party.

Except that Gladstone was in the Liberal party.

Being a british prime minister is enough for me to remove his name from the street but being a slave owner shows what kind of person he really was underneath,regardless of his political and economical motives for "helping Ireland".
    He wanted to fix the "Irish problem" because t was an embarrassment to england because of they way they treated us and the rest of the world was watching and he wanted a stable Irish colony for a steady flow of taxes.
    He didn't fight for Irish freedom.
    British history will paint him in a different light but common sense and Irish history will show his true motives for the Irish.
    A slave owning british prime minister has no place in a Irish town.

That's my view and I understand that others don't want change,and thats ok.
    The street has had many names so I think it will continue to change as time passes

Being a british prime minister is enough for me to remove his name from the street but being a slave owner shows what kind of person he really was underneath,regardless of his political and economical motives for "helping Ireland".
    He wanted to fix the "Irish problem" because t was an embarrassment to england because of they way they treated us and the rest of the world was watching and he wanted a stable Irish colony for a steady flow of taxes.
    He didn't fight for Irish freedom.
    British history will paint him in a different light but common sense and Irish history will show his true motives for the Irish.
    A slave owning british prime minister has no place in a Irish town.

That's my view and I understand that others don't want change,and thats ok.
    The street has had many names so I think it will continue to change as time passes

Our history is what made us. For better or worse. We cannot rewrite it. Look to the future.

Our history is what made us. For better or worse. We cannot rewrite it. Look to the future.

You are incorrect.We can and should rewrite history if anything important was omitted.
    If you found out something you had heard was a lie would you continue to believe it?
    We can't change history but we should look for the truth of how things really were.

Opinions always change as truth is uncovered.
    Did we ignore Jimmy saville,Rolf harris,The catholic church?....No, we set the record straight and that's all I am doing here.

Gladstone may have been one of the best of a bad bunch but he was still a very big part of that bad bunch!
    People are free to keep their head in the sand if they are afraid of change but some will be happy to hear the truth

• Advertisement

You are incorrect.We can and should rewrite history if anything important was omitted.
    If you found out something you had heard was a lie would you continue to believe it?
    We can't change history but we should look for the truth of how things really were.

Opinions always change as truth is uncovered.
    Did we ignore Jimmy saville,Rolf harris,The catholic church?....No, we set the record straight and that's all I am doing here.

Gladstone may have been one of the best of a bad bunch but he was still a very big part of that bad bunch!
    People are free to keep their head in the sand if they are afraid of change but some will be happy to hear the truth

What you’re doing is trying to inflict your opinions on others. I, for one, am not biting. I prefer to make my own mind up and let others do likewise. Anyway, this thread isn’t for such debates.

What you’re doing is trying to inflict your opinions on others. I, for one, am not biting. I prefer to make my own mind up and let others do likewise. Anyway, this thread isn’t for such debates.

Not inflicting my opinion,just giving my opinion.take it or leave it.
    Two schools in england are distancing themselves from gladstone.thats not an opinion that is truth

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Recliner

Is there anywhere in Clonmel that would be able to etch/engrave a christening cup.
    I tried Duggans down the narrow street but he said it wouldn't fit in his engraver machine. He also said no jewellers in town could do it. It's only slightly larger than an espresso cup so it's not massive.
    Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

Try Annerley Jewellers on O'Connell street. They did a small engraving for me recently. Quirke Jewellers in Cahir is another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

Sure why don't we just give all the names numbers like in the US. 1st Street. 2nd Street. 3rd Street.

But I suppose the people in 2nd street would object to being discriminated against vs the people in 1st Street.

Maybe we call them by colour. Red Street. Blue Street. Yellow Street. Orange..... Oh wait some people may be offended by the use of that colour.

What about local celebs and famous people. Frank Patterson, Anne Anderson, Adi R..... Well maybe not.

So maybe international celebs actors business people etc. Daniel Day Lewis, Nelson Mandela, Elon Mu...... amm Ellen D...... OK not that one so.

There is only one answer. Have a computer spit out a random series of letters and numbers to form the new designations.

cR56OenN Street
    iabQfW3v Street
    2KyHKsw9 Street
    1YtkUI85 Street
    QEgqXa3o Street
    b7ppYd9U Street
    HW4D34YL Street
    qXSqFblR Street
    TuPJGDlp Street
    NZeyFZNb Street

You know it's the only safe way to go. No one could be offended that way.

It's Gladstone Street and always will be because of what he did for Ireland. He might have been flawed but we are recognizing his achievements not his flaws. People need to get over themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Irishman80

Where ya from yourself?

Clonmel.

Don't live there anymore though, thank God.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Irishman80 wrote: »
    Clonmel.

Don't live there anymore though, thank God.

Come back soon, we need your enthuiasm for the town.

touts wrote: »
    Sure why don't we just give all the names numbers like in the US. 1st Street. 2nd Street. 3rd Street.

But I suppose the people in 2nd street would object to being discriminated against vs the people in 1st Street.

Maybe we call them by colour. Red Street. Blue Street. Yellow Street. Orange..... Oh wait some people may be offended by the use of that colour.

What about local celebs and famous people. Frank Patterson, Anne Anderson, Adi R..... Well maybe not.

So maybe international celebs actors business people etc. Daniel Day Lewis, Nelson Mandela, Elon Mu...... amm Ellen D...... OK not that one so.

There is only one answer. Have a computer spit out a random series of letters and numbers to form the new designations.

cR56OenN Street
    iabQfW3v Street
    2KyHKsw9 Street
    1YtkUI85 Street
    QEgqXa3o Street
    b7ppYd9U Street
    HW4D34YL Street
    qXSqFblR Street
    TuPJGDlp Street
    NZeyFZNb Street

You know it's the only safe way to go. No one could be offended that way.

It's Gladstone Street and always will be because of what he did for Ireland. He might have been flawed but we are recognizing his achievements not his flaws. People need to get over themselves.

A simple solution is to call it Lough st. again,the name it was given by the Irish people before british interference.

I have no idea what achievements you are talking about or what he did for Ireland.He did what he did for britian and the queen.

He created the Irish coercion act which allowed people to be detained for as "long as was thought necessary".This was the first form of internment without trial for the Irish people.
    "The act was the first of over a hundred such Acts that aimed to suppress the increasing discontent in Ireland with British rule. England was seen in Ireland as responsible for having turned the failures of the potato crop into the Great Famine and the loss of 20% of its population."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coercion_Act#Ireland
    How was that act any good for Irish?

Another town in the uk thinking of removing a statue of gladstone over his links to the slave trade.https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/18595093.blackburns-gladstone-statue-moved-twice/

Gladstone had a great mind for making money,but it was at the expense of slaves any irish land owners that would not bow to the queen and pay taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Wouldn't John Hume St be a good suggestion on the day that's in it. Can't imagine anyone having any objection to that.

John Hume RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Hume Street, I like it

Advertisement