Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist killed in Belfast this morning

Options
  • 15-04-2011 8:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭

My Father rang me this morning after witnessing and being one of the first to attend to a cyclist who had been knocked down off his bike by a truck driver who was not paying attention. Unfortuneatly he died at the scence

Be careful out there folks especially those doing an early commute as there are some stupid idiots out there not paying attention at that hour.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

:mad:

RIP

Hope your Dads ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭TheAnswer

a truck driver who was not paying attention. there are some stupid idiots out there not paying attention at that hour.

Good to see a nice unbiased opinion! Terrible that anybody has been killed in such a fashion but when you haven't seen the accident yourself you shouldn't make judgement calls. I've seen cyclists do the most incredibly stupid things (like squeezing up on the inside of a truck while the truck has his indicator on!). Have some cyclists got no sense of self preservation????

I'll sit back now and wait for the lycra clad backlash.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

TheAnswer wrote: »
    Good to see a nice unbiased opinion! Terrible that anybody has been killed in such a fashion but when you haven't seen the accident yourself you shouldn't make judgement calls. I've seen cyclists do the most incredibly stupid things (like squeezing up on the inside of a truck while the truck has his indicator on!). Have some cyclists got no sense of self preservation????

In fairness, his father witnessed the incident so he probably does know what happened.

And I'm not biased, I don't even own a bike. (yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Ugh, that's a haunting picture if ever I saw one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

TheAnswer wrote: »

Well sorry but my Father is a truck driver and witnessed it right in front of him and the cyclist was no way at fault. Not getting into the details here but i stand by my OP.

RIP to the guy and his family

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

RIP. Regarless of who was at fault, i have sympathy for the truck driver. He/she didnt go out this morning intending to harm anyone. A sad situation for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

That's very sad. Am I right in thinking that it's the first cycling fatality in the North for a long time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

07Lapierre wrote: »
    RIP. Regarless of who was at fault, i have sympathy for the truck driver. He/she didnt go out this morning intending to harm anyone. A sad situation for everyone.

Of course and sorry if my my post comes across that way, just pointing out that some people are not fully switched on at that time in the morning. Truck driver was visibily shook up and understandbly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭I dont know

Just seen this on the BBC website. Terrible.
    Just getting myself sorted out to get a bike through the cycle to work scheme at the minute and start cycling to the office in Belfast.
    This makes me question whether I’m wise or not. Although obviously I know this doesn’t happen a lot.

Are there many posters on here who cycle in the city? Would you recommend it?

The photo on the bbc site is showing a little too much so early after the accident imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

mgmt wrote: »
    :mad:

RIP

Hope your Dads ok.

I hope the truck driver is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

The photo on the bbc site is showing a little too much so early after the accident imo.

I agree it's a bit early. We need photo's like that to remind ourselves of the dangers out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭TheAnswer

cyclist was no way at fault. i stand by my OP.

Of course you do.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

TheAnswer: Please don't post on this thread again. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

el tonto wrote: »

<snip>

If this is anything to go by;

_52183689_lorry.jpg

It looks like the cyclist may have been in the blind spot of the lorry?

bike-truck-blindspot.jpg

Or the cyclist was in front of the lorry and the lorry ran over him and the bike.

We can't tell anything from a photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Terrible news.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

We don't have trucks in dublin city centre but we do have buses and while a bus driver is more likely to see you than a truck driver (cabin height etc), the safe way to cycle near either vehicle is the same. It's easy and safe:

Do not allow yourself to get stuck between the truck and the kerb - in other words don't cycle alongside the truck's left hand side.

This is because if the truck decides to turn left, the driver probably won't see you and you'll end up under the wheels.

Always stay either in front or behind the truck. If you need to overtake on the inside, only do so when you can do it quickly. Between a truck and the kerb is one of the most dangerous places to be on a bike and the less time spent there the better.

If a truck is behind you, it's better to cycle away from the kerb to prevent them overtaking you dangerously.

Cycling is a very low risk activity and incidents like this are rare enough. This one in belfast is the most common type of city centre fatality for cyclists, however, and people should be aware of the danger. If you keep aware of yourself(look behind before any manouevre) and assume that you are invisible you should be OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Karagesh

Thoughts with all involved cant imagine what they are going through.

I'm sure the details will come out, but its another stark warning for all road users.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

RIP to the cyclist, it is a reminder for everyone to be alert.

@I don't know, I wouldn't let this incident put you off, cycling injuries and deaths are very rare.

As previously mentioned, there are two sides to pass a truck: the outside or suicide.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mookie2007

el tonto wrote: »

RIP to guy and his family and god help the poor truck driver.

Mod - I think telling "answer" not to post on the forum is a little harsh. He was expressing a difference of opinion. Why tell him not to post again?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SpartanBaz

I cycle in and around Belfast lots and find the safest way to do it is make yourself an 'obvious' cyclist. By that I mean don't be afraid to hog the road in certain situations, or put yourself right up the front of the traffic at lights. This might irritate drivers sometimes but at least they can see you!
    I also recommend using the footpath when the road is tight or winding, just take it easy so pedestrians have nothing to complain about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

mookie2007 wrote: »
    RIP to guy and his family and god help the poor truck driver.

Mod - I think telling "answer" not to post on the forum is a little harsh. He was expressing a difference of opinion. Why tell him not to post again?

In any boards.ie forum if you disagree with a mods decision you PM him/her first with your concerns, not do it in thread.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mookie2007

Ok fair enough Captain Havoc - Apologies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Karagesh

SpartanBaz wrote: »
    I cycle in and around Belfast lots and find the safest way to do it is make yourself an 'obvious' cyclist. By that I mean don't be afraid to hog the road in certain situations, or put yourself right up the front of the traffic at lights. This might irritate drivers sometimes but at least they can see you!
    I also recommend using the footpath when the road is tight or winding, just take it easy so pedestrians have nothing to complain about.

This.

I jump on the footpath all the time, especially near major junctions were cars are queued up and the drivers aren't paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

the outside or suicide.

I'd like to see that used in a televised public safety campaign. It's the biggest cause of fatalities if I'm not mistaken and it should be the main point made in any safe-cycling campaign.

You can't depend on a truck driver seeing you but you can avoid putting yourself into a dangerous position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

I'd like to see that used in a televised public safety campaign. It's the biggest cause of fatalities if I'm not mistaken and it should be the main point made in any safe-cycling campaign.

You can't depend on a truck driver seeing you but you can avoid putting yourself into a dangerous position.

I see it on a lot of trucks a sticker on the back saying "Passing Side Suicide" with appropriate arrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Some trucks used to have it on the rear.

Something like this:
    Picture-121.png

But the other way round for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

terrible accident, dreading to hear who this poor guy was.

I work in belfast, yesterday a colleage was hit by a car on her commute. She was stationary, just drove right into the back of her. And sent her flying. Wasn't hurt but reported it to police for completeness and for the record. She has no inyention to go any further but the Psni are taking it super serious and pressing her for statements. Reassuring in many ways I thought.

Advertisement