Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE's Wrestling Language

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

Jay1989 wrote: »
    I absolutely can't stand the "wwe universe" term. I think it's just so stupid, especially when a wrestler is doing an interview outside of wwe, no one knows what they mean, and whoever the wrestler is has to say "wwe universe, that's what we call our fans". You wonder what's the point.

Maybe it's because Vince thinks the word "fan" is linked with "sports" and not "entertainment" or maybe it's simply meant to appeal to kids.
    Whatever the reason, it's pretty cringeworthy in my opinion.

Vince thinks "fans" is patronising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

Meh. I still pine for the 12.30 "Good afternoon grappling fans" from the 80's:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

krudler wrote: »
    But they are athletes, just because its not actual competition doesnt take away from the athletic ability needed to be a wrestler.

That wasn't my point. Actors are great athletes too in many cases. But you don't watch a film and call an actor an athlete. I never took away from from their athletic ability. I think anybody on here regularly should know how high I value what they all do week in, week out. Well other than Kevin Nash :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

That wasn't my point. Actors are great athletes too in many cases. But you don't watch a film and call an actor an athlete. I never took away from from their athletic ability. I think anybody on here regularly should know how high I value what they all do week in, week out. Well other than Kevin Nash :pac:

That's quite interesting. Although not all athletes are wrestlers, practically every wrestler is an athlete. Like unless you're a 40+ bollox that clogs up TV time you're a tremendously fit, legitimate athlete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

jaykhunter wrote: »
    That's quite interesting. Although not all athletes are wrestlers, practically every wrestler is an athlete. Like unless you're a 40+ bollox that clogs up TV time you're a tremendously fit, legitimate athlete.

To me the word athlete refers to somebody who is both trained to compete in and actually competes in athletic competition. Wrestlers are not competing. Many are extremely fit and athletic (and many have been athletes before), but they are not athletes in the strictest sense of the word. They are just fit people taking part in a physically demanding form of entertainment.

Which goes back to my original point, any use of athlete, sports etc seems a little cringeworthy to me when wrestling has been out for a long time. Such as when they called the Big Show the largest athlete in the world. He's not an athlete, he is not taking part in athletic competition. It goes back to the old kayfabe routines.

• Advertisement
Advertisement