Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan wants Channel 4 boss sacked

Options
  • 12-04-2011 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Is it political correctness, pushing the boundarys, or just downright offensive? On the one hand I agree that comedians like boyle should be allowed to be satirical and un-PC, but when do you draw the line when it comes to a disabled child? :confused:

Boyle’s disablist jokes put Channel 4 in firing line again
    Channel 4 has again come under fire from disabled activists, after allowing a high-profile comedian to tell offensive, disablist “jokes” about the son of model Katie Price in his comedy show.

Campaigners say Channel 4’s refusal to remove the jokes from Frankie Boyle’s Tramadol Nights casts fresh doubt on the decision to grant it the UK licence to broadcast the 2012 Paralympics.

The broadcasting watchdog OFCOM launched an investigation after Price – whose son Harvey is disabled – submitted a complaint through her lawyer. She has also complained to the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC).

The latest incident will be among those discussed at a consultation event being held by the EHRC early next year – to which Channel 4 will be invited – as part of its inquiry into disability-related harassment.
    Boyle, who is known for his offensive material, “joked” with his live audience that Price and her former partner were “fighting each other over custody of Harvey, although eventually one of them will lose and have to keep him”.

Boyle then went on to make another joke about Price and her son, which is too offensive to repeat.

The row comes less than four months after leading disabled activists wrote to Channel 4, accusing it of breaching the UN disability convention by referring to disabled people as “freaks of nature” in a trailer for a Paralympics documentary.

And in May, OFCOM condemned the use of offensive, disablist language by Davina McCall and Vinnie Jones on Channel 4’s show Celebrity Big Brother’s Big Mouth.

Jaspal Dhani, chief executive of the UK Disabled People’s Council and one of those who wrote to Channel 4 about the Paralympics trailer, said Boyle’s “jokes” would encourage disability hate crimes such as bullying and harassment.
    He said: “The Frankie Boyle incident is disgraceful. Channel 4 should be ashamed.

“The latest example supports our view that Channel 4 does not understand what the issues are.”
    Dr Ju Gosling, co-chair of the LGBT disabled people’s organisation Regard and another of those who wrote to Channel 4, said: “This vile so-called humour is what fuels hate crime around the country. The real question is why Channel 4 allowed it to be broadcast.

“It is not enough to say that a comedian ‘has a go at everyone’; most comedians would condemn this as well.
    “It is about time that the government asks why Channel 4 continues to be trusted with the Paralympic coverage when they also believe that describing disabled people as ‘freaks of nature’ in relation to sport is not only acceptable but ‘empowering’.”
    Alison Walsh, Channel 4’s disability executive, said Boyle was “a master of saying the unsayable” and “confronting taboos”, and she claimed the jokes were satirical and aimed not at Harvey Price but at “media hypocrisy and celebrity culture”.

She said: “I don’t think there is any area that he leaves untouched. It’s satire. He takes it right to the line and then steps over it.”
    She said the jokes had “gone through an editorial process”, and added: “I feel that everything in those shows I am prepared to defend. I am very well aware it will not be to everybody’s taste.”

She said the reason Channel 4 won the right to broadcast the Paralympics was because of its “brilliant and bold treatment of disability” over the years and because it was a company that would “take some risks”.
    She added: “It was our record on disability that helped win the bid.”
    But Dhani said: “It’s not pushing the boundaries, it’s going beyond the boundaries.

“You wouldn’t hear that kind of argument being applied to a comedian who used derogatory terms around race. It would not be tolerated. Why is it seen as pushing the boundaries when we are talking about disability?”
    And he said the jokes were clearly aimed at Price’s son rather than her.
    In a statement on her website, Price accused Boyle of bullying her son, and said Channel 4’s decision to broadcast the material showed “a complete and utter lack of judgment”.

A spokesman for her lawyers, Archerfield Partners, said: “The view we have is that Channel 4 are being discriminatory. They clearly feel that it is acceptable to do this with respect to disability when they would not do [it] about race or sexuality.”

OFCOM said it had launched an investigation after receiving a complaint from Price’s lawyers and “a number of other” people.
    If found guilty of a breach of OFCOM’s broadcasting code, Channel 4 could face a heavy fine or be forced to broadcast an apology.
    Boyle said: 'I have a theory that Katie Price married a cage fighter because she needed someone strong enough to stop Harvey from f****** her.'

Katies Reaction
    Katie was in no mood to let the matter lie and has now called on Mr Hunt to act.

Extracts from her letter published in the Mail on Sunday show that she asked why people with disabilities were not given more protection in such circumstances.

Katie added: 'How can Channel 4 be our Paralympic broadcaster when it discriminates against the disabled? Is Mr Abraham's position not completely untenable?'

News of her contact with the culture secretary came as Mr Abraham published an open letter to Katie, in which he insisted Boyle's jokes were not intended to be offensive towards Harvey.

He added that Channel 4 executives 'were satisfied that you and not your son, were the object of the satire'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Jordan the moral crusader eh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

He just said what we were all thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

SparkyTech wrote: »
    but when do you draw the line when it comes to a disabled child? :confused:
    You don't. No sacred cows in this part of the world, thanks very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

thought this thread was about the country Jordan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Frankie Boyles show got canned, he's unlikely to given another show in the near future, thats enough for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,866 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I read the thread title as 'Jordan wants Channel4 Boss sucked'

I though she was after a new show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Seriously... over that muppet Frank Boyle?

Just call him an inconsiderate prick and leave it at that...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

2 words

"Sod Jordan!"

Thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

So Jordan's fake tits aren't getting her attention and she wants more of it.

Not sure which one I dislike more, Jordan or Boyle!

• Advertisement

kfallon wrote: »
    Not sure which one I dislike more, Jordan or Boyle!
    Jordan - for me!

One ugly woman. Inside and out!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Interesting how the issue will be dismissed just because it's Jordan making the complaint.

Fair play to her as a mum sticking up for her son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

At least this gets Jordan into the papers. Classless whore.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    At least this gets Jordan into the papers. Classless whore.
    Yea, the rag papers.
    Papers of any quality avoid the topic/woman when they have sense.
    Who can blame them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I heard if she doesn't get him sacked she's going to ask for television to be uninvented so nobody can ever say anything offensive about her on it ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Biggins wrote: »
    Yea, the rag papers.
    Who can blame them!

Jordan and Rag Papers.

Thanks for the mental image there Biggins lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

And i want her to f*ck off, can we start a petition to never have her on TV or in Magazines again.

Oh and not to write any more books till she actually reads more than she has currently written?

Biggins wrote: »

The only quality paper I've seen recently was the paper I wiped me hole with this morning, oh it was so conducive to the needs of my botty :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭XcupcakeX

if my son was disabled and someone made comments like that about him I would hunt the fcker down..... Fair play to jordan

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Jordan and Rag Papers.
    Thanks for the mental image there Biggins lad.
    It might indicate how your mind is working! :p :pac: :D;)
    The only quality paper I've seen recently was the paper I wiped me hole with this morning, oh it was so conducive to the needs of my botty

One can't beat the quality of decent paper - unlike lesser 'rags' that just fall apart in your hand leaving you with...

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

a high-profile comedian to tell offensive, disablist “jokes” about

Is that even a word?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

The only quality paper I've seen recently was the paper I wiped me hole with this morning, oh it was so conducive to the needs of my botty :pac:

suprised there wasn't a jordan interview in that poo filled paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Slag Jordan off all you want but taking the piss out of a disabled kid is out of order.
    Boyle is a wanker who thinks shock value constitutes wit. I've no problem these comedians having a dig at Prescott's weight or Boris Johnson's stupidity or IDS's baldness or Wayne Rooney's lack of friggin' class and common sense but leave a disabled child out of it. That, quite honestly is tasteless and low. And just because Harvey's mother is a slapper doesn't make him any more fair game for cruel slags than say the disabled son of a more refined and genial character.

Mr Magners wrote: »
    Is that even a word?
    ...Well I never thought in my lifetime, I would read about plastic tits - never mind learn of their actual existence stuck upon an even bigger tit!

Just goes to show - all things is possible! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Refugee from RealLife

She is a media seeking whoremonger but in fairness I admire her stance on protecting her child, she is free game for all kinds of attention and she has reaped the rewards of this.

Protecting her child and fighting back against the cheap crassness of Boyle's willingness to attempt to get a laugh at her child's expense gives her the right to confront this.
    I saw this show the night it aired as I like Boyle and his style of humour but my initial and remaining thought was that if it was my child I would have broken his jaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I dont know whats worse, Boyles crap jokes or the sheep on this thread who automatically jump on the 'its only Jordan, who cares?' bandwagon.
    Its a mother defending her son for **** sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

XcupcakeX wrote: »
    if my son was disabled and someone made comments like that about him I would hunt the fcker down..... Fair play to jordan

She's an attention seeker; she only did this for attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

...the hardest part to believe out of the entire article is that she knows the word, and context of the word, "untenable" - she married a bloke who spelled her friend Donna's name as "Doner" in their wedding invitation.

Stop reacting to famous twats who have no business being famous and they will disappear, honest....

longshanks wrote: »
    I dont know whats worse, Boyles crap jokes or the sheep on this thread who automatically jump on the 'its only Jordan, who cares?' bandwagon.
    Its a mother defending her son for **** sake.

Which is fair enough if it was just that - buts lets look at a possible fuller picture.

Here we have a woman that will at ANY opportunity, use any method to gain an upper-hand.
    Be it publicly fighting with other models, be it picking on others, be it now demanding a firing of a person who - and lets be honest - is NOT going to be fired and she must know this so she is using this latest stunt to shove herself yet again into the limelight (surprise!) for the eventual sake of self-promotion.

If this woman REALLY gave a damn about kids, she would have started off as she meant to go on but no.
    On the news of her first pregnancy she went on a full nine month bender of drink, cocktails and drugs.
    (Again totally recorded by the media)

She's some (non)class act!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Seriously... over that muppet Frank Boyle?

Just call him an inconsiderate prick and leave it at that...

He's not the friendliest, I must admit. Well in the one instance I saw him in person.

Here in Glasgow I was leaving my house and walking up the road, and out of nowhere I saw this hairy, ginger fella. It was Frankie Boyle. So, being the gentleman that I am I say "Ah howya Frankie, what's the craic, nice to see you in person"......all I got in return was [looks up, mumbles something, continues walking].

Ignorant cúnt!

Advertisement